Can't remove "cookie" [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Can't remove "cookie"

Kyle1886
09-03-2010, 14:21
I was just cleaning out my wife's PC of junk files and cookies as I normally do once a week. In the folder "Temporary Internet Files" there is a cookie that I cannot delete. "data.cmcore.com". I have run our usual virus scanner and Malwarebytes' and no malware shows up. (Malwarebytes' has found found questionable things in the past, but shows clean now).

I've never run across a cookie I could not delete. I did look it up on Google; not versed enough about cookie servers to do me much good. I did restart the PC a couple of times after trying to delete the cookie, it's still there. Click on it, then delete, and a "bonk" audio sound. Any idea on removing said cookie?

Respectfully

Kyle

solomansousana
09-03-2010, 17:28
I've run into this a few times, I have a program that is a DOD military grade file scrubber, this has always worked for me where the simple delete button failed.

Markasaurus
09-03-2010, 17:37
try this

http://download.cnet.com/Spybot-Search-amp-Destroy/3000-8022_4-10122137.html?tag=mncol

its free. So are the updates. Allows you to immunize against spyware and gets updated at least twice a week (but you have to do it manually). it takes about 5 to 10 minutes to run then you click it to delete all the spyware, might work for your problem too.

Another Miller
09-03-2010, 17:50
malware bytes comes with an extra program..file assassin. just type in the file name and hit remove.its gone.Ive used it to remove "locked " files that otherwise were just taking up space and being junk.

and yes,its on the free version too.

Kyle1886
09-03-2010, 18:44
Thanks guys, I'll give each a try and post back success or fail.

Really appreciate the info.

Respectfully..Kyle

Kyle1886
09-04-2010, 12:12
Another Miller, Malwarebytes' File Assassin will not take out just one cookie within the Temporary Internet Files folder. It wants to zap the entire folder. If I zapped the whole folder with all the wife's password cookies for genealogy, etc. sites, I can kiss 49 years of marriage goodbye. (I don't know her passwords, and not to sure she remembers them either). I did backup the TIF folder, but if I had to restore it, the cookie will be in the restore. If I should zap the TIF folder, I assume that IE 8 will rebuild it on a reboot?

Markasaurus, SpyBot didn't do it either.

Thanks guys
Kyle