DirectTV [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : DirectTV

bustedknee
09-03-2010, 17:10
There has been a rash of 771 and 771a trouble codes recently. I suspect it was the recent software update. They are charging $50 for a service call. How is that for a scam?

Or you can pay $5.99 a month for the service contract. It is for a mininum of one year and if you cancel it early, there is another fee. How is that for a scam?

If you say, "Screw the service call, it is your equipment and it don't work.", they will cancel your service and then charge you a fee for ending the 2-year contract early. How is that for a scam?

Here is the fix. I have both an HD and a standard receiver. I canceled the standard receiver. That saves me $5 a month. That almost pays for the service contract.

I will reduce my service every time they raise their rates or add a fee until I am down to the very basic and at the end of the contract period I will go to another company for my monthly screwing.

In the mean time, I may need a service call once a month. :winkie: Wink, wink.

I can't believe Direct TV can be so stupid as to put themselves out of business.
:animlol:

BailRecoveryAgent
09-08-2010, 13:56
If you don't like DirecTV, you will definately hate Dish network.

bustedknee
09-08-2010, 19:17
That is not good news. :crying:

ComCast is really hated around here. :rant: Everybody is a scammer nowadays.

Which reminds me, What is wrong with the economy?

Case de Callier
09-08-2010, 23:59
Netflix streaming is the answer you seek.

albinlee
09-09-2010, 05:23
comcast is expensive, but my internet is fast, and HD is great. I can even watch pretty much any tv show on the computer on demand with Xfinity. Expensive, but I think Comcast is the most trouble free provider of Digital cable. Started with them like 10 years ago and have not had a single "service call". Lol.

bustedknee
09-09-2010, 06:33
.... Started with them like 10 years ago and have not had a single "service call". Lol.

If this ever happens with DirectTV. They will layoff all their technicial people.

I'm considering starting my own DirectTV service call service.

For 25$ I will show up at your home, do the level checks, inspect connectors, cables, dish alignment, tighten nuts and bolts, ship parts, etc.

If I have to initiate a real $50 service call I will not charge. :animlol:

bustedknee
05-26-2011, 14:36
Problem fixed!

Contract expired so I went with Citizen Cable (7 SW VA counties) for Phone, Computer, and TV.

Any problems - they show up. And cost is less.

They ran an underground cable to my house so as to not ruin my view. Wow.
No contract period unless I want their only scam (so far, at least) a "free" Blu-ray player.

I still get junk mail from DT offering me all sorts of scams. It never fails to give me a good laugh.

Cambo
05-26-2011, 15:45
I had the same exact problem with Direct TV years ago. I started losing channels gradually until I was left with 3. I call up and tell them that I need it fixed. They tell me I have 3 choices:
1. I can pay $90 for a service call
2. I can pay $12 a month for a "protection plan"
3. I can try to adjust the dish itself

I choose option 3 after arguing about the cost of the service call. I lose all 3 remaining channels. I call up Comcast and schedule re-hook up with them. I call Direct TV back to cancel. They offer a free service call to keep me as a customer. I tell them to f off, it's too late, they should have done that sooner. An insider in the industry told me they do this to their customer every 2 years and it is absolutely a software issue on THEIR end.

bustedknee
05-26-2011, 18:22
They left their dish on the hill behind my house (in my yard) -- just in case. Haha

It looks like a target stand to me. :animlol:

RichardB
05-28-2011, 10:56
Those of us who use the cable pay more and whine also. I can get one good channel with rabbit ears and 4 more with a full TV antenna. My short wave radio picks up dozens of Spanish language stations.:cool: But regettably I don't understand that language, yet

Brucev
05-31-2011, 09:06
Have had Dish since 2004. Never had any problems. Thing just works.

bsg1
06-03-2011, 22:35
as soon as my contract is over... no more Direct TV for me.

bsg1
06-25-2011, 10:20
unfortunately i contracted a "bundle package" with Verizon and Direct TV; big mistake. no more packages for me... when two separate companies are wrapped up in services that i pay only one of the companies for.

Billua
06-25-2011, 10:26
It must be the part of the country. I live in Vegas and the cable company is Cox Communications.

They had been raising their rates continuously to a ridiculous point while their dvr offerings as wells as HD offerings paled Directv's.

We switched 5 years ago and are very happy with the Directv product and have had zero problems.