Melting bigger batches [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Melting bigger batches

vafish
09-04-2010, 18:57
I got a pretty reliable source of nice pure lead. I coach a junior air rifle program and get a couple hundred pounds of nice pure lead a year out of our pellet traps.

Up until recently I used my Lee 20 lb pot to melt it all up. It was a bit of a pain because of all the paper and plastic from the backers and targets mixed in.

I've had turkey fryer for years and have thought about getting a big dutch oven or something that would let me melt some bigger batches of lead.

Last weekend I was over at a buddy's house and he had an old propane tank that was beyond it's certification and couldn't get refilled without a hydro test. he was going to throw it out. So I took it, drilled a hole in the tank and used my saber saw to cut it in half.

Now I can melt bigger batches of lead. :supergrin:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/vafish/Guns/09-01-10_190426.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/vafish/Guns/09-01-10_190434.jpg

Got about 50 lbs more in ingots now and still need to clean out the pellet traps.

AZBru88
09-04-2010, 19:29
Nice reuse of a bad tank! Smart...more then one way to skin a cat!

Olivers_AR
09-04-2010, 19:34
Great use of an old tank. I've got a few extra wheel weights if your firing it up next time!

GioaJack
09-04-2010, 19:39
The hell with the lead, you better get that snowblower tuned up... 34 degrees here this morning, ain't gonna be long now. :crying:

Jack

dudel
09-04-2010, 19:39
Yep. Now use the top side, remove the valve, add some piping and make a bottom pour smelting pot. Makes casting ingot even easier than dipping.

WiskyT
09-05-2010, 05:58
Am I the only one who takes old tanks to be exchanged at the Blue Rhino type places? They just toss any tank you give them into the empty pile and give you a full one. I only use the exchange places when I have a NFG tank.

Vafish, all the target backing and paper is flux.

RustyFN
09-05-2010, 09:33
Looks good fish. Big batches is the way to go. I use a cheap six quart cast iron dutch oven from HF and can almost get a full cat litter bucket in it at one time.

vafish
09-05-2010, 18:19
The hell with the lead, you better get that snowblower tuned up... 34 degrees here this morning, ain't gonna be long now. :crying:

Jack

That snow blower is going to be a target at my next range session. :supergrin:

This winter we had record snowfalls. I got the blower running at the beginning of the year, first snow fall can't get it going, few days after the snow I found a broken part, replaced it got it running again, next big snow I can't get it to start again. Every time I needed it that damn thing let me down. A few days later it would be running like a champ.

vafish
09-05-2010, 18:20
Great use of an old tank. I've got a few extra wheel weights if your firing it up next time!

I'll need to clean out the pellet traps later this month and I'll have a bunch more to melt up. No problem throwing some wheel weights in.

fredj338
09-05-2010, 22:09
Well done! All it needs is a handle so you can move it after it cools. Smelting in the 20# pot is a PITA. You'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

PBKing
09-06-2010, 19:39
Right On.. You get the CRB Awqrd this month