What The Hell is Wrong With My Windows 7? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What The Hell is Wrong With My Windows 7?

Goldendog Redux
09-04-2010, 20:42
My Windows 7 puter has gone belly up in the last week. I can surf the internet for a while. If I leave for a while it is basically locked up. If I attempt to run even the simplest program or start messing around in "my computer" the thing locks up and just spins that little icon.

I have to hard reboot the thing if that happens. I am getting ready to reload windows but I really need to back up some pics and video but i cannot keep teh thing running long enough to transfer it to an external HDD or to my notebook via homeshare?

Obviously the thing works in safe mode but I am not really sure what I am figuring out in safe mode.

It's probably just "one of those things" but I figured I would ask.

Thanks,
MF

mgo
09-04-2010, 21:16
Cooling?

If it's a laptop, the fan might be failing and the machine is overheating. It if is a desktop, fan failure on the processor might be the cause.

Dust in the machine will cause heating.

Other causes could be failing RAM module.

Virus? How updated is your anti-virus program?

kc8ykd
09-04-2010, 21:27
i was going to suggest it was likely a hard drive issue, but, you say the system functions normally while in safe mode.

i would boot into safe mode and inspect the system event logs for anything unusual (things that have the ! next to them). also, i would run 'msconfig' and look at the items that run when the system starts normally (listed under the startup tab and have a check next to them). look for anything abnormal. google will help decide what should and shouldn't be there.

at this point, i could go either way on what the problem is, could be hardware, could be software, but until you figure out which it is, i wouldn't suggest reinstalling windows. if you did, and it were a hardware problem, well, you'd have just wasted a couple hours of installing windows and your daily used software.

Pierre!
09-05-2010, 09:07
You have gotten some great info here! You need to work through it...

I would also recommend that you go ahead and scan the system while in SAFE mode. My favorite is MalwareBytes for this purpose.

Once you get a clean bill of health from the MalwareBytes, then start with reviewing what updates were performed to the system 'in the last week' that it seemed to go belly up.

Absolutely check the Windows Log files - that is *great* advice, and one of the first things I do with a client having issues. Just use this technique to find a hard drive that is about to fail on a client's computer.

Then there is the Windows 7 Troubleshooter. I would give you some more detail, but I am on my MacBook... and I don't yet have that 'routing' memorized, but you can begin typing the utility's name into the search bar and the application will pop up. It may be that you have a 'diagnosis' there, but it just hasn't had time to announce it's self to you yet. The Troubleshooter may just point out the piece of hardware that is hanging you up!

Keep us posted!

Goldendog Redux
09-05-2010, 12:55
Running a scan in safe mode-I shoulda though of that.

It occurred to me I got a new desk recently and dismantled the system and blew the dust out with compressed air. I might need to crack her open and see if I screwed something up

Glockdude1
09-05-2010, 13:00
Running a scan in safe mode-I shoulda though of that.

It occurred to me I got a new desk recently and dismantled the system and blew the dust out with compressed air. I might need to crack her open and see if I screwed something up

I think your new avatar is the problem.......... :scared:

:rofl:

Goldendog Redux
09-05-2010, 13:03
I think your new avatar is the problem.......... :scared:
:rofl:

Hey man, I'll cut you too! My woman is sneaking up behind you.

Glockdude1
09-05-2010, 14:13
Hey man, I'll cut you too! My woman is sneaking up behind you.

:nutcheck: Got her!!