Mac OS X Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mac OS X Question

Padre
09-04-2010, 21:14
Hello again folks:
Well, received my Snow Leopard disk from the wife and got it installed without a problem (actually installed from the external USB disk drive).
Now I have been reading that a complete install is best, rather than the upgrade that I did.
My question is...if it was you, would you go ahead and redo it, reformatting the hard drive and do a complete install again or would you leave well enough alone?
I kinda want to reformat due to the fact that I have loaned out the computer to several people and I don't know WHAT they might have downloaded or viewed (if you know what I mean). I just don't want to be stuck on the short end of the stick...just in case.
I hesitate reformat because of the applications that are online that I will have to download again. Also, what about my itunes music, podcasts, etc and my photo's that are on the system and on my iPod touch?
Speaking of that..now that I have upgraded, my iPod no longer sync's? Tried it for the first time last night...no go.
Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it. Just want to cover all bases before I put the disk back in and say "GO"
Padre <in the big kitty litter box>

JK-linux
09-04-2010, 21:40
A fresh installation is never a bad idea if it's been loaned out. You can choose to use an external drive and a program (free) like "Super Duper!" to migrate your current system to the external drive. It clones your drive, applications, settings and all, and then you install a fresh copy to the internal drive. After that, you use the "Migration Assistant" to move your settings and all applications back to the internal drive. The plus is that the OS is fresh, but the minus is that any settings, history, etc from a former user will be migrated back if they were using your login ID when it was loaned out. If they had their own ID, you can choose not to migrate their account back, and their data will be gone from your system. There are other options, but this is simplest. I'll add that upgrade installations, like you did, on a Mac are generally fine unless the system was running badly before the upgrade. I've done upgrades from 10.3 > 10.4 > 10.5 > 10.6 with no issues. I did a complete reinstall, including all applications after 10.6 because I did some stupid stuff with the kernel and my backup was unable to repair the damage I did.

azndragon684
09-09-2010, 16:21
or you can use Time Machine and back up all your info then install a fresh copy...but i recommend a fresh install rather than upgrading...

mrsurfboard
09-09-2010, 16:40
I always go a reformat and install. If you are going through the effort, might as well do it right.

Padre
09-10-2010, 18:48
Hi all:
Got the system reformatted and upgraded. Followed the instructions about backing up to my external hard drive and reinstalled.
No problems.
Thanks for the advice...
Padre <in the big kitty litter box>

JK-linux
09-10-2010, 19:13
Congrats. Glad it works again.