Cleaning night sights [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning night sights

rmeron
09-05-2010, 06:14
What is the best thing to use to clean the white ring on night sights?

DannyR
09-05-2010, 06:25
A damp cloth should do just fine.

Dontgetdead
03-02-2015, 15:06
What would you suggest if a damp cloth didn't do it? Or should I ask: dampened with what?

valvestem
03-02-2015, 15:37
What would you suggest if a damp cloth didn't do it? Or should I ask: dampened with what?

You just commented on a 5 year old post. But I'd say dampened with plain water.

Dontgetdead
03-02-2015, 15:42
Yep, got here via a search. Some sites like to add to an existing topic, others prefer you to start a new thread. Figured it would be easier for others searching for the info to just consolidate it right here. How many do you think wondered that over the years? I'd wager more than one or two.

Dave.1
03-02-2015, 16:47
You just commented on a 5 year old post. But I'd say dampened with plain water.

+1 and maybe add some dish soap for hard to clean stuff.

I used Hoppe's 9 on some Aro-Tek night sights and it eventually took the white ring off. Not as good for day time shooting that way.

Dave

Dontgetdead
03-02-2015, 17:07
I just picked up a gen3 G-23 with factory night sights. Front sight is notably dimmer than the rear. I've toothbrushed it with soapy water with little to no effect. I'm still not certain if it's been damaged from previous cleaning attempts or is still fouled. The gun was filthy.

And thanks Dave, knowing what not to use is at least as important as knowing what I can use safely.

Dave.1
03-02-2015, 17:15
Sounds like you got your G23 used so it makes me wonder if the front sight is getting old and dimming. Do you know how old it is?

I'm pretty sure that Glock Factory night sights are Meprolights. You might want to contact them, tell them about the front sight and get suggestions on cleaning.
http://www.meprolight.com/

Dave

Dontgetdead
03-02-2015, 18:27
Ironically my 27 with meprolights is 7 years old. Both front and rear are dimmer than they once were. It's most noticeable next to a new set. My 23 however is indeed a used but is newer than my 27. After gently scrubbing them a bit with a soft bristle toothbrush and some Dawn dish detergent and warm water the front are much brighter. Initially when I first got it in the dark I was a bit concerned.

Probably a topic for another thread, but who makes smooth edge night sights? The sharp angles on these suck for IWB carry. I filed em down, but hope not to have to finish the machining on the next $100 specks of metal.

Dave.1
03-02-2015, 18:42
Glad that soap and water helped.

Most companies make some sort of low profile type night sight. Since we were talking Meprolight, here's what theirs look like.
https://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1243&CAT=94

If you want low profile I'd suggest you start looking on all the different mfg sites. There's enough choices to drive you crazy.

Dave