Bootleg weapons lights??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bootleg weapons lights???

aippi
09-05-2010, 14:22
I am convinced these are out there and are being sold on Internet sites and at gun shows and such. I have only been able to speak to a few guys who have knowledge of this. These dealers share my conviction that some of the most popular light are being bootlegged. It is not a topic to bring up with the manufacturers of the lights that are being copied. I tired and got the company line on the topic. If these lights are out there as I believe they are then these companies have to know. Some guy buys a bootleg one, something goes wrong with it and he sends it in for warranty work. They have to know it is not theirs. They know the warranty registration number is fake. Would they repair these to keep the people from knowing this about their product being bootlegged?
I am trying to find out as much as I can about this. A quick review of some leading auction sites shows several brands of weapons light being sold far below dealer cost. I am talking about the lowest cost any dealer can buy this product. So, the same product being sold consistently by the same guy at a price far below what he can buy it for is suspicious for sure. These products are ripe for this due to the cost, how small they are so that many can be shipped in to the country and the fact they are selling so well. I would even think that some high end optics could be involved.
Any first hand experience would be helpful. I would prefer no name brands are mentioned as this could be unfair to that Manufacturer unless you have in your possession bootlegged product and can prove it is not original. Of course this is just my preference on the topic and guys will post what they choose to. I just believe that facts should be posted if a brand name is mentioned.
Ideas from guys on how to avoid this such as buying from reputable dealers, known suppliers and from the Companies web site and other ideas would be welcomed also. I will take the best advice and offer it on my web site.

michael88
09-05-2010, 21:56
alibaba.com, just about anything you could ever want made by our friends in china, india and taiwan. once its made in china, they tend to steal it and make knock offs.

michael88
09-05-2010, 21:58
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/215440865/weapon_light_with_red_laser_sight/showimage.html

looks an awful lot like a tlr2.

Denied
09-06-2010, 11:29
Back before I retired, I worked several fraud cases involving name brand knockoffs, mostly sports wear such as Nike, Adidas, etc. Usually we had suspicion based on tables, trucks, trunks full of product. In each case we needed the help of the manufacturer, in the form of a fraud representative (investigator) to come in and view the items and be able to testify as an expert witness that the items were truly fake. Without the help or in most cases leads from the actual manufacturer you won't have a case since the burden of proof in not on the seller.

vafish
09-06-2010, 17:32
Wouldn't surprise me at all that bootleg lights are out there. Leopold and Aimpoint have had problems with bootleg optics being sold here in the US.

itstime
09-06-2010, 17:42
Oh they are out there alright. ACOG's for sure. Seen them many times.

aippi
09-06-2010, 19:01
Denied - thanks for the input. May I ask why the manufacturers are so reluctant to even acknowledge these exsist? That is what I am finding to be the case. Did many cooperate? Seems they would be screaming for LE Agencies having jurisdiction over these matters to be doing more, but they seem to be in denial. Any input on this?

Denied
09-07-2010, 06:11
Denied - thanks for the input. May I ask why the manufacturers are so reluctant to even acknowledge these exsist? That is what I am finding to be the case. Did many cooperate? Seems they would be screaming for LE Agencies having jurisdiction over these matters to be doing more, but they seem to be in denial. Any input on this?

In my experience the manufactures were the ones pushing the investigation, they have investigators looking for knockoffs and they contact law enforcement, most of the cases I was involved in resulted from flea markets. I have no idea why they would not want the cooperate.

MrMurphy
09-07-2010, 07:46
If the makers are overseas, it's very, very hard to prosecute.

I'm experienced in bootleg other bits attached to guns, at least at one remove, and the subject did come up. If the maker's in China or Kyrgyzstan or something.....yeah, good luck going to court.