Carry Smith 637 Airlite [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Carry Smith 637 Airlite

Geezer1
09-05-2010, 19:37
Hi Folks,

What a great forum. I have been a long time fan of wheel guns and purchased and 637 Airlite 38 +P about a year ago. Just decided to start carrying and obtained my permit.

I apoligize before I start cause I am sure this has been chewed many times, but what do you folks prefer for holsters. I am leaning towards IWB and I really would like to hear your opinions. Many thanks in advance

Butch

BWT
09-05-2010, 21:06
For me it just depends what I'm going to be doing while I'm carrying. So I have an ankle rig, IWB, and OWB. I use a crossdraw if I'm going to be driving all day. So I guess my answer is don't just depend on one style, or you will end up carrying less.

Geezer1
09-05-2010, 21:25
For me it just depends what I'm going to be doing while I'm carrying. So I have an ankle rig, IWB, and OWB. I use a crossdraw if I'm going to be driving all day. So I guess my answer is don't just depend on one style, or you will end up carrying less.

Thanks BWT, I should have specified...what is the manufacture of your IWB? I need some sources of good IWB for small J Frame.

thanks, Butch

Glock 17L
09-05-2010, 21:27
Airweight snubbie J Frames IMO are best carried in the front strong side pocket..
I have a torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder & can't reach back above my rear pocket..
The pocket holster solves this problem plus I can't reach far enough across to do a decent cross draw..
You will end up with a pile of holsters, all of us have them BTW, & once you settle on the holster you like best you'll be set..
I really like the cheap-o Uncle Mikes holsters & have two of them for IWB, there older & have metal clips, the newer J frame IWB with the clip cutt off makes a nice light weight pocket holster, I also have an Nice/Expensive Kramer pocket Holster but it weighs almost as much as the revolver & don't use it much..
I also have a nice Rafter S. OWB that is made from Sharkskin & Horse Hide..
My favorite holster bye far is the one on the upper right with the 342Ti with Eagle Secret Service Grips, It's the Uncle Mikes with the clip removed, It fits the gun better than the pocket holster that UMs sells for the J Frame..
J Frame Snub Holsters
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/8591/jframeholsters.jpg

BWT
09-05-2010, 21:48
I'm with ya now. A Milt Sparks Summer Special for the IWB, Desantis ankle holster, and Mitch Rosen for OWB.

I have a couple of other holsters, but the above are my favorites.

G27Chief
09-06-2010, 02:27
I carry my 342Ti in a Desantis Nemisis pocket holster daily. It has been an excellent choice. I agree with the Uncle Mikes choice as well, the one I have for the j frame has gotten some use.

Geezer1
09-06-2010, 09:42
[QUOTE=SIG P229;15935900]Airweight snubbie J Frames IMO are best carried in the front strong side pocket..
I have a torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder & can't reach back above my rear pocket..
The pocket holster solves this problem plus I can't reach far enough across to do a decent cross draw..
You will end up with a pile of holsters, all of us have them BTW, & once you settle on the holster you like best you'll be set..
I really like the cheap-o Uncle Mikes holsters & have two of them for IWB, there older & have metal clips, the newer J frame IWB with the clip cutt off makes a nice light weight pocket holster, I also have an Nice/Expensive Kramer pocket Holster but it weighs almost as much as the revolver & don't use it much..
I also have a nice Rafter S. OWB that is made from Sharkskin & Horse Hide..
My favorite holster bye far is the one on the upper right with the 342Ti with Eagle Secret Service Grips, It's the Uncle Mikes with the clip removed, It fits the gun better than the pocket holster that UMs sells for the J Frame..

Sig P229,

Great input, thanks. Appreciate the Pics. Quite honestly I never considered a pocket holster, so you testimony helps. I was focusing on IWB cause I was targeting as much concealment as possible....but for sure in your poicket must classify as concealed :-). I'll check out UM right away. Thanks for the reply.

Geezer1
09-06-2010, 09:44
I'm with ya now. A Milt Sparks Summer Special for the IWB, Desantis ankle holster, and Mitch Rosen for OWB.

I have a couple of other holsters, but the above are my favorites.

BWT, I looked at Milt Sparks and they for sure look like quality holsters. I was planning on calling them tomorrow. Thanks for the reply.

Geezer1
09-06-2010, 09:48
I carry my 342Ti in a Desantis Nemisis pocket holster daily. It has been an excellent choice. I agree with the Uncle Mikes choice as well, the one I have for the j frame has gotten some use.

G27Chief,

I'll check out the Desantis Nemisis along with UM's. Appreciate the replies, I prefer to see what folks have success with prior to purchasing. Been around wheel guns and long guns a long time, but I am plowing new ground with CCW. Thanks again, Butch

the perfesser
09-07-2010, 19:54
I carry my 342Ti in a Desantis Nemisis pocket holster daily.

+1. Due to my job location I carry infrequently, but my Airweight S&W 442 rides nicely in my Nemesis pocker holster.

Booker
09-08-2010, 10:47
I still like carry my 637 OWB in a Bianchi #5. I think it's called the black widow iirc.

Pocket carry is good, but not so good if you're seated.

OWB is good but you still have to dress properly.

IWB is good but you have to get larger trousers.

Ankle is good if seated but slow to draw if running!

One of the best things about carrying a j-frame is that you have numerous carry options!

Berto
09-08-2010, 19:12
I'm pretty much right on with Sigp229, the Uncle Mike's number 0 (IIRC) is still a favorite with pocket carry-which is 95% how I carry a snubby. I also have my Desantis for the Smiths and Ruger SP101 and a bladetech IWB for the J frame if I decide on belt carry...I don't use it much as other more substantial guns carry just as well on the hip.
A good cargo pocket is the ultimate for snubby carry IMO;

With a good pocket holster, the gun stays put.
You can grip the weapon while looking completely innocuous.
It requires no unnatural movement to access.
It won't print.