Getting my feet wet again-back into reloading. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Getting my feet wet again-back into reloading.

Jitterbug
09-06-2010, 08:14
So I had 100 new Winchester cases, primed and belled sitting in blocks on my loading bench since March of 1994 and I decided to finish them off this weekendÖno sense in rushing into things.

I loaded them up with a 185 grain, Colorado Cast Bullet, they call it a B.B. bullet, Iíd call it a truncated cone, over 9.0 grains of AA#7.

Iím out of ďplinkingĒ ammo for my Dan Wesson 1911 CBOB and Iím just not willing to pay factory prices anymore and especially for what I consider a limited variety of over priced choices.

I started out in the 10mm world with a Smith and Wesson 1006 back in 1989 or so, then went to a G29 and finally the CBOB. I used to load for the Smith quite a bit and was very happy with these mild loads as well as some more moderate to hot jacketed loads, for the G29 I became a Double Tap fan boy and now with the CBOB I want to take it easy on both it and me but especially the CBOB since D.W. isnít making them anymore.

I live in Colorado and use the 10mm CBOB as a 4 legged trail gun, my favorite carry load is the Double Tap 200 grain FMJ and XTP. I have a dwindling supply of Georgia Arms 180 grain Gold Dotís that I use as a load for two legged varmints if Iím in the city. Other wise my main city carry is a 4Ē Kimber Compact in .45acp, it has nothing to due with caliber itís just an easier carry due to itís light aluminum frame.

Iím looking for several different loads, and Iím open to suggestions, especially now with the scarcity of components and my being out of the reloading world for the past 16 or so years.

For plinking and practice Iím looking for a 165-180 grain FJM, cast load or probably both, due to costs, possibly a 200 if there is a better availability, velocity in the 800-1000 fps range. For two legged self defense Iím thinking of duplicating or reducing the G.A. load. A 180 Gold Dot doing 1050-1100 fps would probably be fine as would a 200 grain Gold Dot doing around 1000 fps. Once I have some self defense loads sorted out, Iíll duplicate with some FMJís, for more realistic practice. For cast loads I want to keep the velocity down to help insure I donít have to deal with leading.

I tried a box of Double Tap 200 grain Beartoothís years ago and Iím convinced I got a bad batch, they were brutal in the G29, recoil far exceeding the 200 grain D.T., grouping like a shotgun, when I ran my last 5 through the 1911 they unsprung the gun, tying the recoil spring in knots, again with the shotgun group. Iím a fan of that style bullet for beasties here in Colorado and ran Keith style H.C. back in my revolver days. So one of these dayís Iíll probably want to try my hand at reloading some of those or something similar. Until then I have a good supply of the D.T. 200ís, which I shoot sparingly, the CBOB likes and shoots them extremely well.

Iím looking for good component supplierís as well as load suggestions and overall reloading suggestions, I consider myself a noob. Iíve had good luck with AA7 in the past, and have a pound of AA2 and 9 left over that Iíd like to use up.

My setup is modest, I have a couple of RCBS single stage presses, their powder measure and scale, a tumbler, case trimmer and RCBS carbide dies.

Recently the wife and I got into ARís and the wonderful world of carbine games and M4ís, so I really need to get back into reloading to feed those hungry beasts. She also has a S&W 442 in 38 special and a new M&P 9c, I shoot primarily the .45acp/10mm and .22 pistol. Although Iím considering a full sized M&P maybe in 9mm. Years ago I seldom purchased off the shelf ammo, so itís good to be back to the world of reloading, especially for my favorite pistol the 10mm.

AZBru88
09-06-2010, 09:52
For bullets in my 10mm I've been shooting Montana Golds (https://secure3.mooseweb.com/montanagoldbullet.com/pricelist.tpl)
I use them in my 9mm and plan to order a couple cases of the 223 soon.
Starline brass if you can wait (or possible find it in stock).
I shoot mostly BlueDot loads in my 9 and 10mm.
Have fun getting back into the reloading! Be safe...Bru

whenmonkeysfly
09-16-2010, 06:51
Ditto on the Montana Golds, Starline brass, Blue Dot and being safe. AA7 is an excellent powder for the 10mm as well IMO.

MinervaDoe
09-16-2010, 14:49
re: the scarcity of ammo. I've had pretty good luck going to http://www.midwayusa.com/ and backordering bulk bullets for reloading. It may take a month or so, but it has been real reliable for me. I usually look for deals on Remington or Winchester. The times I had multiple backorders open at once, when I got notified that a backorder had shipped, I immediately went out and cancelled the other backorders so as not to break the bank.
I got a couple of loads out of my Lyman manual using Unique and going about 1020 FPS in both 155 grain and 180 grain bullets which is just super accurate.
For self defense, I picked up some Hornady XTP 155 grain loads which I'll probably load up pretty hot with Blue Dot. The XTPs are cheap and they are also the kind of late opening, high retained mass rounds which would probably work well in a high velocity cartridge.
I bought most of my brass directly from Starline and it also was a one and a half month backorder. I also bought a couple of hundred rounds of Starline from Midway, but the price was a little higher. The backorder time was similar.

I've got some Ranier plated rounds that I plan on loading up, but I wish I'd gotten heavier bullets so as not to worry about exceeding the 1,200 fps recommended top speed for plated rounds (especially since I don't want any dangerous leading in a Glock barrel).

Have any of your questions not been addressed?

AZBru88
09-16-2010, 15:24
r
For self defense, I picked up some Hornady XTP 155 grain loads which I'll probably load up pretty hot with Blue Dot. The XTPs are cheap and they are also the kind of late opening, high retained mass rounds which would probably work well in a high velocity cartridge.

Those are the SD rounds stuffed in my 20 and 29 right now. Accurate and hit hard. Bought a case of MG's to make my practice rounds similar to my carry stuff! I've shot a lot of XTP's in my 44 mags and always had great results, it was a no brainer to use them in my 10mm.

MinervaDoe
09-16-2010, 15:58
.... XTP's in ... it was a no brainer to use them in my 10mm.
Yeah, especially when you go look up their price on Midway and find that 100 of them cost 20 cents more than 100 Ranier plated bullets. :faint:I know, different weight bullets, so it's an apples and oranges comparison, but still, they nail the price point for such a high quality bullet.