Has anyone painted their stock sights? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone painted their stock sights?

coastal4974
09-08-2010, 17:21
Iíve been thinking about painting mine with a color that might be easier to pick up on a target. I thought I would check and see what might be available at a hobby store. Who has tried doing this? Did you like how it turned out and what color worked for you?

bmylesk
09-08-2010, 17:24
never head of this, but cant wait to see peoples response. :cool:

Adam5
09-08-2010, 17:27
I have painted many a sight with Testors model paint and a fine brush.

I have had several target guns that had all black sights and I was losing them on targets with a black bullseye.

I cleaned the sights well with alcohol. Painted the dots/notch with white Testors paint, and let them dry. I then put on two coats of bright yellow or bright red (allowing time to dry between). Finally, I would use a coat of clear to protect the paint.

trlcavscout
09-08-2010, 18:31
On my Glocks I didnt put night sights on I black out the rear sight and leave the front white for quicker acquisition. Then I found is was easier to use a sharpie. I tried the "glow in the dark" paint once to see if it would help at night but it only retains the light for about 30min after a full charge of like 8 hours in the light.

BradHersch
09-08-2010, 20:17
most of my guns have decent sights or have had them changed. My Ruger LCP has miniscule sights but with Elmers Painters Opaque Paint Markers in yellow have made the sights quite functional. This paint has held up quite well too. I masked off the parts not to be painted and used the built in applicator. Great job. Bought it at Michael's Craft Shop.

PastorDan
09-08-2010, 20:22
I painted the front sight on my G17 with TruGlow Neon green and left the rear sight as is. I like it quite a bit. My times at my last IDPA match also liked the painted sight. For me it made sight acquisition considerably quicker.

NMPOPS
09-08-2010, 20:57
All mine have aftermarket night sites, so no paint.

highnright
09-08-2010, 21:40
a friend of mine painted his front sight 'safety orange'. i cringed when i saw it, but, whatever works for him...

THEPOPE
09-08-2010, 22:09
I paint mine from stock, all my pistols have paint of some sort on the front, and all are blacked out on the rear sight. ...I used the ball-n-chain, er, the wifes' finger-nail polish in white.

I've experimented with several colors of model paint, bright orange shows up good, and yellow, indoors....

I tried the glow-in-dark paint, and it does work, to a point.....at the range I use it and then hang a "black light" above and behind it to accentuate the "glow", it actually works pretty well, for slow-fire targets.

My eyes aren't what they used to be , and I must use bi-focal lenses, (BTW, that really screws with your optics...) and the paint the front just to be able to see sharper edges on the blade.

I am out....:cool:

AaronZR2
09-08-2010, 22:14
I used Testors Model Master Fluorescent Red (FS28915) on the front of one of my guns and used a black sharpie on the rears.

coastal4974
09-10-2010, 15:52
Well it sounds like something I’m going to give a try, thanks for the tips.

AZBru88
09-10-2010, 16:37
I've done a lot of my revolver front sites with a little orange, plus a LCP. I use fiber optics sights on my Glocks, no need to paint them!

shotgunred
09-12-2010, 00:00
I have blocked the white out on stock gkock sites.

RyanNREMTP
09-14-2010, 11:34
I paint a bright pink on my front site. It's just a small cheap bottle of finger nail polish I bought from Wally World. Works great for me. I did something similar with my AR front site also.

silverbear
09-14-2010, 11:42
I flipped the rear sight so its all black, and used an orange sharpie for the front sight - which looks reddish-orange. For me, I like the cleaner look of the plain rear sight without all the white lines. (hope to get the ameriglo i-dots soon)