tactical atvantage? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : tactical atvantage?

1canvas
09-08-2010, 20:56
is there any tactical atvantage to a loud gun in a defense situation? i mean once the guns start shooting is there ever been any indication that a loud bang of a magnum or other loud caliber turned a bad guy from fight to flight?
my older brother and his partners always carried larger guns undercover. when they had to make an arrest and had a j frame or something small they had to fight. with the larger guns the BGs seemed more intimidated and much more compliant. so i know size matters, but what about the bang?

Mas Ayoob
09-09-2010, 05:48
There's some evidence of it. Eddie Mireles, the hero who finished the FBI firefight on April 11, 1986, described "the psychologically devastating kaboom" of Michael Platt's stolen .223 rifle during the fight...but it didn't keep Mireles from riddling Platt with bullets and putting the cop-killer down.

However, auditory exclusion -- probably the single most common altered perception phenomenon noted by gunfight survivors -- tends to reduce the effect of this. That's probably occurring on both sides of the fight.

Remember, too, that sound trauma from a gunfight (again, more so in close quarters inside buildings or in alleys, where sound reverberates) can leave the survivor with some degree of permanent hearing loss.

It's altogether too "maybe" to count on Magnum blast or rifle blast disorienting the opponent like a flash-bang, but not doing the same to us, who will probably be closer to our own muzzle blast. Personally, I don't see a loud report from my gun as a tactical advantage to me, but as a price I have to pay for using a powerful gun.

YMMV,
Mas

1canvas
09-09-2010, 15:48
thank you, i can understand that. i hunt deer with a .44 mag and i usually have hearing protection on. sometimes when giving my ears a break deer have walked up on me. i made the shot not realizing i had no protection on. after the deer is down i notice a little ringing in my ear and it is only then i know what i have done.