.410 Revolver for home defense? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .410 Revolver for home defense?

Aahzz
09-09-2010, 07:37
What are your thoughts on .410 Revolvers such as the Taurus Judge for home defense purposes? I'm looking for a new home defense revolver for my mother and sister, and they like the look of the Judge. Mom already has a 12 gauge pump and a .38 +P in her room, so this will be my sister's primary home defense weapon. From my research, it seems that my primary worry of recoil isn't going to be too much of an issue, but I'm finding a variety of opinions on effectivesness - what is your feeling on this? So far I'm still leaning towards another .38 +P, but don't want to discourage them from getting what they want without good reason.

Thanks!

Mas Ayoob
09-09-2010, 13:54
Personally, I'm not sold on the .410 revolver as anything but a fun gun.

For defensive purposes, the .38 Special +P on your list gets my vote! Your mom and sister will probably also find a steel .38 more comfortable to shoot.

best,
Mas

Aahzz
09-10-2010, 06:24
Thanks!

That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking, now I just have to convince them :).

Aahzz
09-23-2010, 14:50
After some research and test shooting, they ended up liking the Ruger SP-101 .357, loaded with .38+P. I think they made the right choice :). Thanks again for weighing in on the issue!