Sight Recommendations - Newbies look here [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sight Recommendations - Newbies look here

SmithJC
09-09-2010, 23:41
OK, So I just went through the entire 3 pages of threads looking for a thread that would have all the answers I was looking for in one thread but couldnt find anything.

Obviously, everyone will have different opinions on different sights. Different strokes for different folks. But I think a thread like this will be very helpful for us noobs when trying to decide what sights we MIGHT want to look at. So what do ya all say that you give your opinions on what YOU think are the best sights. Pros, Cons, anything you feel would help the new folks make a decision.

I've been reviewing every sight you can think of. Trijicons, tru glos, mepro, ameriglos, TAS sights and any other off brand sight I might come across for several days now. BUT, internet pictures and youtube videos just dont do sights much justice. So heres what i'm looking for.

I think I can speak for alot of folks when I say that the best sight is one that is extremely bright during the day, yet visible in darkness at the same time. An "all light source" sight basically.

I've been leaning toward the Ameriglos simply because from the reviews that I have read, the white dots on the night sights reflect very well in the daytime, as opposed to some of the other nigh sights. Also because of the very large selection they offer.

I want a set of sights that really stand out during the day,since that when most of the shooting will take place, yet, if the situation were to present itself during hours of darkness, I would be able to accurately use the weapon as well.

Any recommendations?

RayB
09-10-2010, 03:08
All the major 3-dot plus tritium lamp sights will do what you say you're looking for. So, any of the Big Three...

. Meprolight
. Trijicon
. AmeriGlo

...will do the trick!

However, which of these you will favor the most, only you can say.

Here's from my Night Sight Review...

Meprolight Night Sights are rugged, well-made, low profile, combat-type sights, with a wide front blade to rear sight notch aspect. Israeli-made Meprolights were the first tritium night sights marketed for use on popular pistols and rifles. Their large lamps appear brighter than other night sights. The lamps and white plastic o-ring markers appear to be embedded in polished epoxy, which resists solvents and makes for easy cleaning. By design, the front sight appears brighter than the rear sight.

Trijicon Night Sights offer tritium lamps surrounded by an aluminum sleeve, pressed into the sight housing, and covered by a sapphire lens. This lens makes the sight markers appear very sharp in the dark, Vs. Meprolight's glowing orbs, and protects the lamps from external damage. The narrower front blade to rear sight notch aspect will be appreciated by sharper eyed shooters at the range. The quality is excellent, but care should be taken when cleaning to avoid harsh solvents and aggressive scrubbing, as the white o-rings are painted on.

AmeriGlo offers the best selection of night sights available. Quality is first-rate, as the sights combine Trijicon lamps with white PVC O-rings for markers. A combination of sight profiles, blade and notch widths, marker configurations, sizes and lamp colors, offers something for everyone. I really like their Operator sights with a green front and yellow rear lamps!

--Ray

AZBru88
09-10-2010, 05:35
SmithJC you might check out AmeriGlo GL-212-OR (http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/pistol-sights/glock/night-sights/front-sights) painted front night sights. These are hand done, painted orange around the night sight vile. Highly visible in daylight and shine at night. You might have to call them to see when they will be available. They make very limited runs, hand painting is labor intensive.
If you follow the link its the bottom one on that page. Click on it and it will bring up a picture of it. You can combine it with any type of rear night sight.
Ray mentioned a bunch of great ones above.

silverbear
09-10-2010, 15:25
OP, I've been in the same boat as you - looked at everything and searched and read all that I could. Its true, sights are a personal choice for everyone but here's what I have found out, and the choice of sights for me.

- for my ccw, I'm staying away from any new style sights and big dots, and sticking with traditional sights - not that there is anything wrong with those other sights, including big dots, but not for me
- based on my suggestions of my instructor and in reading other posts, I checked out and really like the two dot style night sights like straight eights
- for value and service, you can't beat ameriglos

So the sights for me will be the ameriglo i-dots. There is a recent post showing those sights, and the reviews are pretty good. I heard they may have the orange painted front sight available for these soon and that is my first choice. If that is not the case, then I'll go with the regular i-dots and do the "johno diy hi-viz mod". (google to see the mod)

walkin' trails
09-19-2010, 18:39
I've had factory Glock sights, Trijicons, Glock night sights, Warrens, XS Big Dots, and Heinie Slant Pros. The stock Glock sights are surprisingly easy for me to pick up and shoot accurately. Of all-the-above, however, I prefer the Heinies. The serrated front ramp offers a very crisp sight picture and is quick for my eyes to pick up during combat shooting. Heinies are very good sights.

shotgunred
09-21-2010, 10:47
I like these.

http://www.speedsights.com/

zx2loon
09-23-2010, 08:22
I like these.

http://www.speedsights.com/

From thier website....

Production and Availability update:

The new Diamond series is now available for the Glock pistol, all models and calibers.

We apologise but demand has temporarily sold out our Diamond Night Sights.

There should be more available in a few weeks.
Please send us an email (ade9500@aol.com) to get on our Email notification list as soon as more are available.

We also should start having some supply for the Springfield XD in a few weeks.

You can also Email us to request the model firearm and caliber you would like to get Speed Sights for.