Docking station that updates/patches laptop? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Docking station that updates/patches laptop?

Ralff
09-10-2010, 08:23
I don't know if such a thing exists, but I'm open to other solutions as well. Let me explain the situation.

We have some laptops that are deployed out to the field several times per year. Otherwise, they sit in a safe. My boss wants me to find a "docking station that we can just plug them into and it will update the virus definitions and patches and stuff real quick". I know that some docking stations have network connections. Our network is pretty tight on security and we're on a domain, so if we were to go through our network it would have to be added on the domain for it to work, or at least I assume so.

Basically, my boss wants an easy way to get updates and virus definitions on our laptops before a trip.

Personally, I think the easiest way would be hook it up to the network and let it pull the updates, but I don't know if there would be a problem with the computers falling off the domain due to inactivity or whatever.

Any ideas? I don't get stumped on computer questions too easily, but for this one I have nfc. lol

Drjones
09-10-2010, 09:40
Others with far more network experience than me will be along to clarify, but a docking station is simply a piece of hardware and cannot update or otherwise change any of the software on your computer any more than your printer or speakers could.

You are correct in that the best way (the only way) to have the laptops updated is to pull them out a few days before they need to be used and connect them to the network.

HOWEVER, what will happen when you connect them to the network will of course depend on exactly what sorts of policies, settings and software are in place on your domain.

Most good antivirus should update itself daily, and any good stuff designed to be administered from a server should push updates to user machines every time they connect to the network, but again, that depends on how YOUR particular network is set up.

Linux3
09-10-2010, 21:04
One big problem you have is that so many Windows updates, and I am assuming you are running MS Windows because of the need for virus defs, require a reboot after install.

We have lots of docks for laptops at work and basically all a dock is is a way to connect all the cables, keyboard, mouse etc with just one connection.

Maybe put VNC on the laptops and every so often log into them and updates them?
Not automatic but I don't have any other thoughts.

Ralff
09-13-2010, 07:09
Thanks for the help guys. I was pretty sure the network was about the only way to go but I was hoping that there was some miracle piece of equipment that would do it. Problem is we don't have admin rights on the laptops, even though they're ours. We have to send them upstairs to have software and stuff installed. It's retarded. But hey our workload won't increase, but theirs will when we start sending them 2-3 laptops to update a week before we leave. :supergrin:

Bado
09-26-2010, 08:15
You could use WSUS offline (formerly CTUpdater). Pick the OS and MS Office version and it will download all the patches, service packs into a nice ISO for you to put on CD or DVD.

I like using GFI Languard. You can scan the laptops and push any MS patches, security packs, and many 3rd party apps, patches, hotfixes for popular products like Adobe and all the Antivirus products. It will do much more than that but it will get you up to date quickly.

It is also free for up to 5 ip's.

Pierre!
09-26-2010, 09:42
Or... Pretty sure that Server 2008 will allow you to create an image file for a "class" of computers that need to be periodically refreshed.

Keep one up to date, let it be the 'image refresh' system, and you will be able to easily update all the systems.

You would even, in theory, be able to use the same image for 'similar' systems by having a driver library to handle different systems.

Never had done this, but read that this is one of the new and improved management features of Server 2008 - and that was 2 years ago at Tech Ed.

If you are a windows domain based shop, you may need to upgrade your DC's to pull this off, but you may be able to add 'quarantine' style features to your shop as well - A sales rep goes out, comes back with a system who's updates for OS and AV are out of date? Domain won't let em in till they update type of Quarantine...

Good Luck!