what is the average hard drive size [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : what is the average hard drive size

raven11
09-10-2010, 12:48
when i bought my first computer around 1995 or 1998 i had a 250gb hard drive, in 2000 i upgraded to a 500gb hard drive and i thought i had all the room in the world

when i moved out i became a big computer gamer, also this was around the time of mp3 downloading and torrents so i ended up with a 2tb hard drive

i haven't bought a new computer at the store in awhile and i was wondering what is the "normal" size harddrive to have

solomansousana
09-10-2010, 12:54
Lol, my first pc was an original IBM PS2, 30mb hdd, and I still use it, I keep it loaded up with GEOWORKS software and use it as my non internet linked PDA.

My next one up was a Magnavox 386 from Monky wards with a 60mb hdd.

I'm assuming your question references todays comps, I just purchased a new desktop and two laptops from Dell:

1. Dell XPS Desktop, Intel i7, 8 gig ram, 500gig HDD and 2 gig video card with Win7 Pro 64
2. 2 Dell Inspiron 15r's, Intel i5, 6gig ram, 500gig HDD, and 1 gig ATI Mobility Radeon video card with Win7 Pro 64

From what I've seen around, it seems the 500gig is the standard these days.

kymarkh
09-10-2010, 13:09
My first PC was a Pentium 100 with 4Mb RAM and 240Mb HD. I upgraded it to 8Mb RAM within one week of ownership - at 100 bucks a MB! Those were the days... I was heavy into playing Air Warrior online and was on top of the world with my Pentium. Nowdays I hardly ever use computers except at work.

Most of the Desktop PC's I'm upgrading or rebuilding at work these days have between 160Gb and 320Gb drives in them. These are Dell/XP machines that are between 2 and 3 years old. We are placing 500Gb drives in them.

Most of our Dell/XP Laptops have between 80Gb and 120Gb drives in them and are being replaced with 320Gb drives.

My home PC has a 500Gb drive in it also and is used mostly to store photos, etc.

My brother is a gamer and heavy torrent user and has twin TB drives + several external drives and still complains that he needs more space, so it's all relative.

CitizenOfDreams
09-10-2010, 13:15
80GB is as small as they make hard drives these days. I would say 160-320Gb is "average" for a modern computer.

raven11
09-10-2010, 13:20
Most of our Dell/XP Laptops have between 80Gb and 120Gb drives in them and are being replaced with 320Gb drives.

i'm actually surprised people are still upgrading laptop internal hard drives. most of the college kids i meet have a external hd that plugs into the USB, i figured that was the new norm since prices on externals have dropped over the years

back in the day you couldn't buy a external that didn't need a separate power outlet, now i can't find a external to buy at Best Buy(for example) that needs one

edit: i looked at my first hd again and it was actually 120 gb ..and it still runs!

kymarkh
09-10-2010, 13:29
i'm actually surprised people are still upgrading laptop internal hard drives. most of the college kids i meet have a external hd that plugs into the USB, i figured that was the new norm since prices on externals have dropped over the years

back in the day you couldn't buy a external that didn't need a separate power outlet, now i can't find a external to buy at Best Buy(for example) that needs one

edit: i looked at my first hd again and it was actually 120 gb ..and it still runs!

Our salespeople don't want anything hanging off their laptops and I don't blame them. Just one more thing for them to lose!

raven11
09-10-2010, 13:32
Our salespeople don't want anything hanging off their laptops and I don't blame them. Just one more thing for them to lose!

seeing the lost and found bins filled with hard drives, I don't blame them :rofl:

Linux3
09-10-2010, 20:58
My first computer....
Atari 400 with 16 kb ram and a tape drive because I could not afford a floppy drive.

Because I run Linux and don't play games I'm pretty happy with 250 MB drives.

My home server has 2 ea. 160 mb drives in RAID 1 for / and a 1 tb drive for junk and stuff. (Gets backed up to a 2 tb usb drive).

RTmarc
09-10-2010, 22:31
I think your dates might be slightly off considering the 150GB threshold wasn't crossed until sometime around 2003 or 2004. 500GB drives weren't even released until Hitachi did so another year or so afterward. Hitachi is the group that usually makes the most breakthroughs when it comes to storage.

That being said, most computers are shipping with 300-500GB drives now.

raven11
09-11-2010, 17:15
I think your dates might be slightly off considering the 150GB threshold wasn't crossed until sometime around 2003 or 2004. 500GB drives weren't even released until Hitachi did so another year or so afterward. Hitachi is the group that usually makes the most breakthroughs when it comes to storage.

That being said, most computers are shipping with 300-500GB drives now.

i think you may be right,i was never good with dates :embarassed:

Seahawk60
09-14-2010, 00:45
80GB is as small as they make hard drives these days.

Wrong. Do a search. You'll find smaller drives all day long on places like Amazon. Why? I don't know, but they're still out there, and for sale.

Seahawk60
09-14-2010, 00:48
i'm actually surprised people are still upgrading laptop internal hard drives.

Why? If you have an older laptop, this is an excellent (and cheap) upgrade. I just updated a laptop with a drive three times the size of the original and it has a faster rpm speed. It made a HUGE difference in performance since the original 40gb drive was just about filled, which ALWAYS slows down performance.

In fact, I'm using it right now as I'm still loading all the applications back on. :cool:

Seahawk60
09-14-2010, 00:49
when i bought my first computer around 1995 or 1998 i had a 250gb hard drive

250 gigs in the mid-late '90's, huh? Yeah, right! :rofl:

Jdog
09-14-2010, 01:18
I sell hard drives for a living..
since the cheapest hard drives out right now are 320gb... ($40 average wholesale cost) I'd say 500gb is "normal" ($55 average wholesale cost)... and even 1tb ($65 average wholesale cost)is pretty common now also being $20 more than the 320gb

Hdd's will be out dated soon.

Just wait for the new super fast intel 160gb ssd drive to come down in cost first... it should start comming down as soon as their larger sizes are released

Jdog
09-14-2010, 01:26
Wrong. Do a search. You'll find smaller drives all day long on places like Amazon. Why? I don't know, but they're still out there, and for sale.

seahawk... he was referring to the size "made" ... not for "sale"
hell, I can get a 10mb hard drive on amazon or ebay if I wanted to ... but i don't... lol

and actually seagate and western digital are probably not even making 80gb any more.... there still will be plenty floating out there in the sales channels but why buy them when the bigger ones are the same cost?
The maintstream sata hard drive manufacturers usually discontinue a drive before it gets to cheap.
(people reading this post 6-months from now will probably laugh at 320gb being the cheapest... that's how fast this market moves)

-jd

Seahawk60
09-14-2010, 01:27
Just wait for the new super fast intel 160gb ssd drive to come down in cost first... it should start comming down as soon as their larger sizes are released

What about the "wearing out" because of limited write cycles associated with SSD storage?

kc8ykd
09-14-2010, 01:47
What about the "wearing out" because of limited write cycles associated with SSD storage?

what about it?

i highly doubt you'd ware out an ssd if you were using it in a home/business scenario before you'd replace a regular sata/ata disk in the same application.

Seahawk60
09-14-2010, 01:52
i highly doubt you'd ware out an ssd if you were using it in a home/business scenario before you'd replace a regular sata/ata disk in the same application.

What about hard core gamers?

Jdog
09-14-2010, 01:53

yes that is a valid concern. I just got done with a "breakout" session seminar with kingston memory folks (who create, OEM and rebrand intel's ssd drives) and they admit the ssd's have a little bit shorter life cycle than normal platter spinning hdd's (maybe 5-10yrs or so)
that means the word of the day is "backup"

you know how out of date and slow "tape backup" is??? well we're seeing (my company) an increased demand right now for lto5 tape library sales in data centers as a backup to san/disk backup based units since all this hype about life span of current drives
since tape doesnt go bad (at least on the first 10-20 re-writes...lol) and will store for ages

kc8ykd
09-14-2010, 02:03
What about hard core gamers?

what about them?

Seahawk60
09-14-2010, 02:06
what about them?

Knock off the stupid double talk "question with a question" crap, okay? :upeyes:

I'll listen to the guy who actually is involved with these things for a LIVING. Thanks, Jdog! :cool:

kc8ykd
09-14-2010, 02:11
Knock off the stupid double talk "question with a question" crap, okay? :upeyes:

I'll listen to the guy who actually is involved with these things for a LIVING. Thanks, Jdog! :cool:

perhaps, you could do some simple research and find out that the drives wear out during write cycles.

armed with that knowledge, maybe, you could try and figure out if a 'hard core gamer' is going to be doing more or less writes than your average home or business user.

now, if you've got any kind of a spec that determines what a 'hard core gamer' is, perhaps we could get somewhere, but, i think you're just throwing out questions to gain post counts.

and, you've got now idea what i do for a LIVING (i can do that too, pretty cool 'eh?)

Seahawk60
09-14-2010, 02:19
I don't care what you do for a living because you're an ass. Jdog was helpful. Maybe you should try to do the same? :upeyes:

kc8ykd
09-14-2010, 02:30
I don't care what you do for a living because you're an ass. Jdog was helpful. Maybe you should try to do the same? :upeyes:

(i was helpful as well) :upeyes::upeyes::upeyes::upeyes:

and i'm good with the upeyes too

cgwahl
09-14-2010, 12:50
when i bought my first computer around 1995 or 1998 i had a 250gb hard drive, in 2000 i upgraded to a 500gb hard drive and i thought i had all the room in the world

Original computer had a 200 or 300MB drive I think.

I bought a 1 gig drive for $100 about 1995 to expand it.

Few years after that got a 10 or 20GB with a new computer. Then a 30GB in a computer to replace that one years later. Then 120GB, 250GB, 400GB, 500GB, 1TB and recently I bought 4 2TB drives for my NAS.

Laptop has a 350GB drive I think. And the 1GB, 10GB and 30GB still work being 10+ years old...not that I use them much beyond getting data off them at one point.

filthy infidel
09-15-2010, 18:20
I took a win '95 box from a customer to dispose. It had a 16 Mb HDD!!!!
Technology constantly amazes me. The Seagate Caviar drive looks just like a modern drive inside, but has the same capacity as the crap memory stick that came with my first digital camera.

MrSmoofy
09-15-2010, 20:08
My first computer didn't have a hard drive, it has a ram pack and then I added a cassett drive.

My second computer didn't have a hard drive either but I added a 10mb MFM drive that wouldn't spin up if it was cold out (was near a window) I had to use a blow dryer to warm it up before boot up.

Today my laptop has 2x 500gb 7200 drives, then on my home network I have 2TB raid configuration for music/movies/backups/etc

SSD is good for OS get a 40gb SSD for just the os and then a 1TB drive for everything else.