SD Ammo Left in the car during the day..still OK. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : SD Ammo Left in the car during the day..still OK.

Ramses II
09-10-2010, 18:18
Out here in AZ it got upt to about 100 today. Trust me, the dry heat helps. I left my SD ammo in the car for about 4 hours during midday today. I usually am very careful about that. Would exposure to this heat harm the ammo in any way. I know a bit of an OCD concern, but it is my SD ammo.

IndyGunFreak
09-10-2010, 18:24
Naa, it's ruined, don't shoot it. Let me PM you my address, and I'll safely dispose of it for you....

Seriously.. it's fine.

IGF

jdavionic
09-10-2010, 18:25
I leave often leave it in the car for many, many days throughout the summer. I also cycle my SD ammo about once a year. Never had any issues.

AA#5
09-10-2010, 18:25
Out here in AZ it got upt to about 100 today. Trust me, the dry heat helps. I left my SD ammo in the car for about 4 hours during midday today. I usually am very careful about that. Would exposure to this heat harm the ammo in any way. I know a bit of an OCD concern, but it is my SD ammo.

Since a car can easily get up to 140 when out of shade, I'd just shoot up the ammo & replace it.

hotpig
09-10-2010, 18:50
I leave ammo in vehicles years at a time. It ranges above 100 to well below zero in my area. I have never had any problem.

I have shot gun and rim fire ammo that has been in my garden shed since 1984. The brass is getting green but it shoots still.

BurkGlocker
09-10-2010, 19:15
I was worried about this as well, but have been reassured not only by people on here and several other forums that it will perform as intended if ever need be. I leave my G27 fully loaded and in the glove compartment all day long, and once had to use it to dispatch a pig that was just close enough to hit. That whole week it was 100+ degrees here in North TX, and it worked just fine.

Burk

RottnJP
09-13-2010, 19:29
This will be fine with most ammunition, but never leave 10mm ammo in a hot car- This video shows what happens then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU26icuNEzw&feature=related

jdavionic
09-13-2010, 19:34
This will be fine with most ammunition, but never leave 10mm ammo in a hot car- This video shows what happens then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU26icuNEzw&feature=related

Here's another 10mm accident
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsTRxXvQY0s

AZBru88
09-13-2010, 20:24

Years ago I did forget about a 50 round box of 44 mag reloads behind the seat of my pick up. They where 240 lead SWC. They spent the whole summer in my truck, needless to say the lube didn't survive to well. Had to dump the whole box. Never ever had a problem with jacketed bullets. Unless your carrying lubed lead hollow points for SD I think your good to go!
If your worried about it, cycle it at your next range session and replace with fresh. You should always feel good about whats in your gun.

Bert Man
09-13-2010, 20:48
It gets much hotter than that in the deserts of Iraq/Afghanistan and haven't seen our military forces experiencing any significant problems with ammo in that harsh environment. Sure it is best for ammo longevity to limit exposure to high heat but in reality it appears to be more durable than we often give it credit for.

RottnJP
09-13-2010, 22:28
Here's another 10mm accident
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsTRxXvQY0s

That one must have been with DoubleTap ammo, though....
:supergrin:

FatBoy
09-14-2010, 00:03
It gets much hotter than that in the deserts of Iraq/Afghanistan and haven't seen our military forces experiencing any significant problems with ammo in that harsh environment. Sure it is best for ammo longevity to limit exposure to high heat but in reality it appears to be more durable than we often give it credit for.

This^^^^^

I have kept a gun in my truck for years(20+). I shoot the ammo up a few times a year. Never an issue.

FB

Pardoner
09-14-2010, 05:22
I have left SD ammo in the car at a IDPA match down here in FL.

When I finished the ammo was too hot to even handle.

Shot just fine later.

fredj338
09-14-2010, 09:50
Short term, not a huge issue, long term, it should be replaced. Yeah, it may be ok after a year of that kind of treatment, but ammo likes to be stored in constant temps & low humidity for longest service life. The guys in the sandbox are shooting it up within weeks or months, not years.