How To Fix Stiff Shotgun Action? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How To Fix Stiff Shotgun Action?

Restless28
09-11-2010, 06:00
How do I "slick up" the pump action on a used 1300 Defender? It feels like it's new. :dunno:

Jon_R
09-11-2010, 06:09
Shoot it enough so you see where it is wearing. Where you see metal rubbing metal rub some Flitz metal polish on it to smooth it out. Lube it up and it should get smoother.

byf43
09-11-2010, 06:44
Clean it.
Lube it.
Load it up and shoot it about 200-300 times.

Clean it, again.
If it's really rough inside, use some "Clover" valve lapping compound (only on the action bars) and cycle the action about 30 times.
Then clean it better than you ever have, before.

Lube it and shoot it some more.

hk_shootr
09-11-2010, 06:56
How do I "slick up" the pump action on a used 1300 Defender? It feels like it's new. :dunno:

Field strip the 1300.
Clean and LIGHTLY apply JB Bore paste to the breech bolt body,
side bridge and slide arms.
Once applied, reassemble and cycle the action 50 times.
Field strip, clean all bore paste, then lube with a quality clp.

This works,..........

aippi
09-11-2010, 12:29
None of the above. Altering any part of the action to simulate wear is with some kind of compound is not a good idea.

The way to do this is shoot it, shoot it and then shoot the hell out of it. The keep shooting it. You will feel it start smoothing out as the round count increases. And yes, it is that simple.

El_Ron1
09-11-2010, 13:30
Have you made sure there is no dried up crud, lube or powder residue inside?

tahco gunworks
09-11-2010, 13:55
None of the above. Altering any part of the action to simulate wear is with some kind of compound is not a good idea.

The way to do this is shoot it, shoot it and then shoot the hell out of it. The keep shooting it. You will feel it start smoothing out as the round count increases. And yes, it is that simple.
Sure it is. Valve lapping compound will not remove much metal if any at all. It will only knock down the rough areas that are causing the extra friction.

I've put compound on the areas that show contact for years, and it does make the cycling smoother.

WoodenPlank
09-11-2010, 16:40

Clean it first, then do what aippi said. May be something gummed up in the action that is screwing with things, or could potentially cause an unsafe condition. Once youve properly cleaned and lubed it, shoot the hell out of it.

aippi
09-11-2010, 16:43
I should have also mentioned it can look one way on the outside and be like new on the inside. A lot of people own these weapons for years and will not even shoot a full box of shells out of them. So you weapon could new inside and breaking it in is all that is needed.

dosei
09-11-2010, 16:53
Clean
Lube
Cycle...a lot

Repeat...unto excess.

dc2integra
09-11-2010, 18:38
shoot the hell out of it

vafish
09-11-2010, 19:15
I was going to say shoot the snot out of it. Others have already mentioned that.

Another method is to dry fire it a lot.

dosei
09-11-2010, 19:24
Actually, getting the action smoothed up does not require much trigger pulling...just a few hours of cycling the action...followed by a good cleaning and lubing...followed by a few more hours of cycling the action....followed by a good cleaning and lubing...followed by...(I think you get the idea)

alexanderg23
09-11-2010, 19:39
Go to WMT and buy 2 100 ct boxes of dove load. Shoot then clean. Repeat as needed.

Jon_R
09-11-2010, 20:07
Go to WMT and buy 2 100 ct boxes of dove load. Shoot then clean. Repeat as needed.

I just got a 590A1 and will use it an upcoming class. It is a lot stiffer then my well worn in 590 20". The one day class is 350 rounds bird shot, 50 buck, and 50 slugs. It should be well broken in. I also need to sight it in for slugs before the class. It should also loosen up my shoulder. :cool:

Aceman
09-12-2010, 12:36
Restless - you don't need to do this until you actually BUY the gun.