Install a new front sight [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Install a new front sight

rmeron
09-11-2010, 07:00
My 26 has a screw on front sight,I want to change it.Can I just get a socket and unscrew and replace.
Is it really that simple?

ICHI
09-11-2010, 07:05
yes pretty much. and a dab of lock tite after reinstall

Jim S.
09-11-2010, 07:06
It is that simple.
A normal socket won't fit because the wall thickness prevents it from fitting into the slide in that area.
I found a very nice Glock front sight tool at Bass Pro for like $14.00.
Works great and you don't have to do all the work grinding down a socket or nut driver.

lethal tupperwa
09-11-2010, 07:22
would you not, put the dab of locktite in the threads of the screw?

ravenkeeper98
09-11-2010, 07:32
would you not, put the dab of locktite in the threads of the screw?

That is the prefered method, small drop on threads, install screw.

bentbiker
09-11-2010, 09:56
It is that simple.
A normal socket won't fit because the wall thickness prevents it from fitting into the slide in that area.
Some of the sights, like Ameriglos, come with the front sight tool (nut driver).

glock031
09-11-2010, 10:03
Glockparts sell a front sight tool for $6.95. You want to use a drop of red-loctite for installing the new front sight.

camario
09-11-2010, 10:04
Here's an extremely inexpensive tool fro Glock front sights:

<http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=KQ&prodID=KQGTOOL3&prodTitle=AmeriGlo%20Front%20Sight%20Tool%20Economy%20for%20Glock>

Shipping is a bit though.

Good Luck
CAMario

GunQuest
09-11-2010, 10:55
I use blue loctite in case I ever want to change the front sight. Mine have never come loose with the blue!

Ogie
09-11-2010, 11:13
I use blue loctite in case I ever want to change the front sight. Mine have never come loose with the blue!

Yep, the blue holds it just fine. You need heat to loosen up the red. No need for that, in my opinion.

I use something called Guntite. It's made by loctite and it's probably just plain old blue loctite. It works great.

Glocks&Ducs
09-11-2010, 11:15
I use red and have never had a problem removing sights that were installed using red. It isn't like you are welding the sight in place with red. When I sold off a good portion of my collection, I removed several sights that had red loctite on them and re-installed factory sights.

rmeron
09-11-2010, 11:40
Thanks, I'll order the tool from GlockParts this week.

glock031
09-11-2010, 11:50
I also removed without any damage a front sight that was installed by my local GS that used red-loctite. Glockmeister reccomends red also. But use whatever YOU LIKE i'm sure blue would work fine. Don't sweat the small stuff!

Nakanokalronin
09-11-2010, 12:07
I just got some Trijicon sights for my 26 and 19 and an Ameriglo tool because I didn't have one. Wouldn't you know it, both front sights came with a tool :brickwall: so now I have 3 Glock front sight tools. I changed them out while running out the door with some red locktite...yes its that easy.

rmeron
09-12-2010, 17:10
Just ordered the $6.95 +$3.00 shipping economy front sight tool from GlockParts,now all I need is the steel front sight from GP,it is back ordered.
What other options do I have?Will a non Glock front sight take away from the original equipment needed for GSSF matches?

bustedknee
09-12-2010, 18:12
I also removed without any damage a front sight that was installed by my local GS that used red-loctite. Glockmeister reccomends red also. But use whatever YOU LIKE i'm sure blue would work fine. Don't sweat the small stuff!

I've got some green for those moments when you say, "Oh crap, I forgot to put on the loctite!"

Green goes on after-the-fact and I have never had anything come loose.

I know a guy that dipped his scope mounting screws in Red. That scope is still on that rifle!

SCC
09-12-2010, 18:20
Just ordered the $6.95 +$3.00 shipping economy front sight tool from GlockParts,now all I need is the steel front sight from GP,it is back ordered.
What other options do I have?Will a non Glock front sight take away from the original equipment needed for GSSF matches?
when you get to the match have them put a front sight on the gun for free :whistling:

farscott
09-21-2010, 06:11
I just use a 3/16-inch Wiha precision nut driver as a front sight tool. These are made for electronics assembly and do not need to be ground down to fit the Glock slide. They also have a nice handle and provide good feel when tightening and loosening screws. I think they cost somewhere around $4.25.

I use some of my daughter's clear (or whatever she gives me) nail polish as a thread locker.

ross2004
09-21-2010, 06:23
I use red and have never had a problem removing sights that were installed using red. It isn't like you are welding the sight in place with red. When I sold off a good portion of my collection, I removed several sights that had red loctite on them and re-installed factory sights.

I had my front sight come loose just this past Saturday, which was installed with red Loctite. I had shot about 500 rounds straight with only breaks to reload mags & paste targets, I guess the heat was enough to break the bond.

Duck of Death
09-21-2010, 09:57
*QUOTE*
I had my front sight come loose just this past Saturday, which was installed with red Loctite.

I've had the same thing happen using blue/red Loctite. Try some 5 min epoxy, mine now stay put.

Yes, it can be removed.

Front sight very small screw, CAREFUL on the torque.

Glocks&Ducs
09-21-2010, 10:24
I had my front sight come loose just this past Saturday, which was installed with red Loctite. I had shot about 500 rounds straight with only breaks to reload mags & paste targets, I guess the heat was enough to break the bond.

No it wasn't the heat. Whoever installed the sights did not degrease the threads prior to applying the loctite. When the sights are made, cutting fluid is used to machine the threads on both the screw and the sight. The manufacture might remove the excess, but there is oil left in the fine threads. If you don't remove the oil, the loctite will never cure. I use mineral spirits to degrease mine. You can also use nail polish remover.

ross2004
09-21-2010, 10:44
Good to know. If it comes loose again I'll be sure to mention that to the noobs at the gun store who installed it.