Ithica Model 37 Home D. Opinions? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ithica Model 37 Home D. Opinions?

RiverRatMatt
09-11-2010, 11:22
Looking at an 18'' 12ga pump. There is just something about the Ithaca that I really love.....

So how does it compare to the Mossberg 500/Winchester equivalent? What makes it twice as expensive?

sambeaux2249
09-11-2010, 22:17
Looking at an 18'' 12ga pump. There is just something about the Ithaca that I really love.....

So how does it compare to the Mossberg 500/Winchester equivalent? What makes it twice as expensive?

I'm probably starting to sound like a broken record...

The fit and finish is pretty amazing. The trigger is awesome. The action is super slick.

On the other hand....

THe fixed barrel makes cleaning a pain, makes changing barrels impossible, and makes swapping the shell in the chamber nearly impossible. My particular unit had a nasty habit of dropping live shells on the ground instead of feeding them into the chamber. There are virtually *NO* aftermarket accessories for the Ithaca 37.

I sold mine for about $200 less than I paid for it, and still had more than enough money to buy a nice Mossberg 500 to replace it. I've been THRILLED with the Mossberg.

In my humble opinion, if you want an Ithaca, pick up an old model 37 with interchangeable barrels, or pick up the Savage 350 for less than half the price. If you want a good home defense gun, skip the new Ithaca and pick up a Mossberg, Remington, or Benelli Nova.

Sam

RiverRatMatt
09-12-2010, 10:42
That's what I needed to know! Thanks!

I think I'm going to go with a used Remington 870, I like the position of the safety a little more than the Mossberg - and from what I understand that's about the only real difference.

Thanks for the advice!

sambeaux2249
09-12-2010, 11:28
That's what I needed to know! Thanks!

I think I'm going to go with a used Remington 870, I like the position of the safety a little more than the Mossberg - and from what I understand that's about the only real difference.

Thanks for the advice!

No problem, glad I could be of help.

There are a few more differences between the Remington and Mossberg, but from an operator's standpoint, the main difference is the locations of the controls. You can't go wrong with an 870 or a mossberg. :) Good luck in your search.

Sam

cdunn
09-17-2010, 08:39
here is min,I've yet to shoot it .I haven't had a chance to get to the range with it yet.slam fire capable,ithaca stocks,made around 1980, I believe.
http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad24/ca_dunn/motorcycle/1911s%20and%20others/BP1020744.jpg

USMC03Grunt
09-17-2010, 13:20
I'll see your 8-shot model and throw in a 5-shot model.:supergrin:

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q236/USMCGruntUSAFCATM/Firearms/Shotguns/DCP_1856.jpg

I agree that the older models are some great shotguns but I'm not sold on the newest incarnation of the Ithaca 37. The fixed barrel and from what I seen, no forward support on the magazine tube just leaves me cold on the new design.

mixflip
09-17-2010, 14:47
The bottom ejection is so cool. Very ambi dexterous.

sambeaux2249
09-17-2010, 23:02
The bottom ejection is so cool. Very ambi dexterous.

You know, I really thought bottom eject would be cool... Once I got mine, I decided that I didn't much care for bottom eject. There are no good methods for swapping out the shell in the chamber, you can't ever SEE what's going on... I just didn't care for it. I'm spoiled by having an ejection port.

I can pull out the shell from the chamber, I can LOOK at the chamber easily, if something hangs up, I can get my fingers in there... *shrugs* It seems more hassle than advantage.

Sam

ZekerMan
09-18-2010, 14:56
Cdunn: I thought I was the only one who had one of those Model 37s!!! Mine guards my shop every day of the year.

bsg1
09-19-2010, 23:03
i like the older Model 37. i also like the older Wingmaster 870.

i've got other shotguns but... my 1965 Wingmaster i recently purchased is now the "apple of my eye."