Ladies Range Experience... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ladies Range Experience...

sawgrass
09-11-2010, 15:19
Ladies,

How often do you go to the range by yourself or with another woman?
I've often thought that if a woman was looking for a man, she should take
up shooting. I went today and I began by sighting in a .22 rifle for small game hunting. I don't think I had even fired a round and I had "help".

I moved on to the pistol range. I took my Glock 26, Sig .380 and a SW686.
Again, I hadn't even fired a round and guys were coming over to see what
I had. Later the advice began. It wasn't really relevant. It was something
about reloading as I was trying some reloads in the 686.

While I appreciate the friendliness of "gun guys", I sometimes wish they would leave me the **** alone and just let me shoot!

Do you get tired of unsolicited attention at the range??

Misty02
09-11-2010, 16:57
Most of the time I go with my oldest son, his work schedule most closely resembles mine. My youngest just changed jobs, he’ll be getting home at a time he can go with us on weekdays. Up to now he could only go when we went weekends.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I’ve taken friends and we have taken larger groups as well. The only time I've ever gone alone was when I was in the carry gun selection phase a couple of years ago; I spent a lot of time at the range trying out guns and I appreciated any help anyone was willing to give me.
I don’t mind the advice or help, some is helpful and I’ll listen. Some know less than I do (which is scary) and I’ll just smile and return to shooting. <o:p></o:p>
I’ve only been my usual rude self once at the range and it was rather recently. While I’ve sensed a sincere desire to help from everyone else that has approached me, this one person just had the wrong tone of voice and body language. We have a metal magazine for one of our riffles that I damaged (I won’t go into the stupidity that damaged it). Anyway, we took it to the range to test it loaded it in the rifle to see if it worked. All was fine until it was empty. I struggled with the stubborn thing for a few seconds before I could take it out. Here came this man huffing and puffing saying something like “Let me do it, YOU don’t know how!” He got to see the “look” many that have known me for years have seen at least once in their lives. I didn’t say a single word, he turned around and walked away flapping his arms and saying something about ungrateful people. My son was in the next lane and caught a glimpse of the guy walking away, then he looked at me (expression still on my face, apparently) and he just said “Oh!” and went back to shooting.<o:p></o:p>
I can be very sociable and approachable when I wish. I can also be the most unapproachable person you’ve ever met. I seem to have the ability to make people stop dead cold before they’re close with just a look. I have been out with my husband, daughter and two sons (these boys are big and intimidating). A person begging for money would just look once in my eyes and immediately move to the more physically intimidating person next to me. My daughter has that “look” too (and she’s barely 5’2”), few she doesn’t want near would dare get close enough.<o:p></o:p>
I don’t know quite how to explain the look but I can tell you what is on my mind at the time that seems to get transmitted crystal clear to the approaching person “Don’t you DARE take another step in my direction!”<o:p></o:p>
I’ve tried to teach some of my friends and it doesn’t seem to work for people who are genuinely nice. Give it a try, it may work. One thing though, you can’t justify yourself or apologize for it after. If it doesn’t work, you can always tell the person that you were actually looking forward to some “alone” time. If that doesn’t work then they are inconsiderate and disrespectful, open season to be painfully blunt.<o:p></o:p>
I hope one of the above works for you. Good luck! :)

.<o:p></o:p>

PATRICE
09-11-2010, 22:30

sawgrass
09-11-2010, 23:03
The interesting thing to me is that amongst the female minds of GT., there
isn't a weak spirit amongst us. There are so many qualities that I respect.

PATRICE, I agree with you more often than not. I don't know why men come to the women's subforum to talk to each other.

Why at the range they believe we need so much assistance is beyond me.

Misty02
09-12-2010, 06:39
Well, this is indeed an unexpected turn. I donít quite know why people do what they do, Patrice. Heck, with few exceptions I donít even care enough to ask. :embarassed: <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Perhaps I should now ask the question Iíve never bothered to ask because I assumed I knew the answer. Is this section of the forum for issues affecting women and it doesnít matter the gender of the poster? Or must the poster be female?<o:p></o:p>
I thought, perhaps incorrectly, that a man whose wife, girlfriend or daughter had issues finding a comfortable holster or had trouble racking the slide, etc. would seek advice/answers from other women that have already experimented and reached their own conclusions in that subject. That would help him bring to the table options that may not have been considered yet.<o:p></o:p>
Of the men Iíve seen in this section of the forum most seem to be asking questions to better understand the needs or thoughts of their wives, girlfriends and daughters. I donít perceive them as providing the females in this section with unsolicited attention as much as them trying to obtain unbiased opinions or explanations so they can understand their own situation better. That I have witnessed a little gloating and a couple of self-pats on the back? Sure, but so what? Itís no big deal and a tad entertaining at times. ;)<o:p></o:p>
Could it be that since I participate in other sections of the forum even more frequently I donít find their presence here intrusive at all? As they say, perception is everything and that is how I perceive it. When I donít feel like acknowledging a post, I donít, not much thought goes into that one. The same thing happens in real life, when I donít feel like acknowledging a person, I donít. If not acknowledging or giving them the ďlookĒ is not sufficient, then Iíll be blunt and vocalize my wishes. I purposely try to stay away from the Political section for no reason other than my big opinionated mouth has a tendency to get me in trouble in that area; obviously, my success rate on that one has not been high lately. There are also sections that I read but post nothing, mostly because I donít know enough to even have an opinion in that subject.<o:p></o:p>
I donít mind men here, I donít mind men anywhere. I kind of like them. :whistling: Granted, if Iím talking about PMS or other personal female issues I might not want their participation, then again, I wouldnít have such a conversation if one Iím not married to is around. <o:p></o:p>

PATRICE
09-12-2010, 07:32

ExxoticOne
09-12-2010, 08:06
I think you have a good glimpse into my personality by now. If I want a man, regardless of the venue, he will be the first to know about it. I don't need any distractions if I am busy enjoying whatever it is I am doing (shooting range, driving range, kite-boarding, etc.)

Where I shoot (every month or so) nobody approaches me. Why? Because I call ahead and get my "personal space" reserved. I tip well for this service/opportunity. I prefer to shoot alone. I have gone shooting with some NFL and NBA guys and their wives (friends, neighbors, etc.) so at times that draws a crowd of onlookers which I don't particularly care for however I must be approachable and cordial so I don't offend their admirers.

AFTER I am done shooting I usually get approached if someone wants to see my firearms: Dan Wesson, Kimber and CZ seems to be what men want to see most of. Nobody cares about my Glocks - too common.

I have gone with a few girlfriends on an individual basis just to get them comfortable with the setting and set them up for their concealed class, etc. I also make sure the men at the range know they are "my people" so that in the future, they get the same VIP treatment as I do. "My people" drop big money so the guys at the range "get it".

ExxoticOne
09-12-2010, 08:16
Also, one of my dear friends is graduating from Physical Therapy school or whatever it's called. For her graduation present, her boyfriend is paying for her lessons and carry permit and I am giving her my old G36. I will get a new one.

I really don't think men are under the impression that I need any assistance. Going back to the golf thing, once I wipe them out a few times on the course, they come to me on the range for advice. (Did I mention I have a certificate to teach golf?)

At the shooting range my groupings are nice and tight and the "paper burgler", had he been a real person, would be dead before he hit the ground.

I got into guns for the sole purpose of self-defense; not because it's a "guy thing" or because it's "cool".

ExxoticOne
09-12-2010, 08:34
I've often thought that if a woman was looking for a man, she should take up shooting.

Do you get tired of unsolicited attention?

Speaking from very recent experience, if a woman wants to attract (not necessarily meet) men, then she should learn how to ride a sport bike. Nothing begs attention more than the figure of a woman, clad in a skin-tight leather riding suit and boots, on a sexy bike. That kind of attention I thoroughly enjoy....

because my bike is faster than "his" car. :rofl:

Mrs.Cicero
09-12-2010, 12:16
Well, this is indeed an unexpected turn. I donít quite know why people do what they do, Patrice. Heck, with few exceptions I donít even care enough to ask. :embarassed: <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Perhaps I should now ask the question Iíve never bothered to ask because I assumed I knew the answer. Is this section of the forum for issues affecting women and it doesnít matter the gender of the poster? Or must the poster be female?<o:p></o:p>
I thought, perhaps incorrectly, that a man whose wife, girlfriend or daughter had issues finding a comfortable holster or had trouble racking the slide, etc. would seek advice/answers from other women that have already experimented and reached their own conclusions in that subject. That would help him bring to the table options that may not have been considered yet.<o:p></o:p>
Of the men Iíve seen in this section of the forum most seem to be asking questions to better understand the needs or thoughts of their wives, girlfriends and daughters. I donít perceive them as providing the females in this section with unsolicited attention as much as them trying to obtain unbiased opinions or explanations so they can understand their own situation better. That I have witnessed a little gloating and a couple of self-pats on the back? Sure, but so what? Itís no big deal and a tad entertaining at times. ;)<o:p></o:p>
Could it be that since I participate in other sections of the forum even more frequently I donít find their presence here intrusive at all? As they say, perception is everything and that is how I perceive it. When I donít feel like acknowledging a post, I donít, not much thought goes into that one. The same thing happens in real life, when I donít feel like acknowledging a person, I donít. If not acknowledging or giving them the ďlookĒ is not sufficient, then Iíll be blunt and vocalize my wishes. I purposely try to stay away from the Political section for no reason other than my big opinionated mouth has a tendency to get me in trouble in that area; obviously, my success rate on that one has not been high lately. There are also sections that I read but post nothing, mostly because I donít know enough to even have an opinion in that subject.<o:p></o:p>
I donít mind men here, I donít mind men anywhere. I kind of like them. :whistling: Granted, if Iím talking about PMS or other personal female issues I might not want their participation, then again, I wouldnít have such a conversation if one Iím not married to is around. <o:p></o:p>

You weren't mistaken, Misty. PMs are for conversations when a GT-er would rather not have comments from others. If someone doesn't want any male responses to her post, she can always specify that in the original post, or simply ignore anything not posted by a woman. Personally, I find most of the men's posts here to be educational or entertaining. Should I ever find them offensive, I'll add them to my ignore list. My current list has two women on it for every man, though, which is either a comment on the way women treat each other, or a comment on my lack of tolerance for intentional provocation. If men are ever banned from this forum, I'll leave, too.

As to the original post, when I go to the range alone, I go when I'll be there alone. On the rare occasion when anyone else has shown up, they come by to say hello and ask what I'm shooting, but no one has ever tried to give me unasked for "help" or instruction. I suspect that my taking over a pistol pit to practice shooting on the move generally keeps them out of my hair... it would require them to interrupt me by shouting, or to pass the barrier to be next to me, and that is bad range manners or a safety violation.

Mrs.Cicero

zysus
09-12-2010, 13:38
Ladies,

How often do you go to the range by yourself or with another woman?
I've often thought that if a woman was looking for a man, she should take
up shooting. I went today and I began by sighting in a .22 rifle for small game hunting. I don't think I had even fired a round and I had "help".

I fairly often see women at the range with other women.

As a general statement the women are by and large usually more competent than the men.

Why? I can hazard a guess... EGO. Men feel as if the should just know everything and women are willing to take instruction (when needed).

Misty02
09-12-2010, 13:42
You weren't mistaken, Misty. PMs are for conversations when a GT-er would rather not have comments from others. If someone doesn't want any male responses to her post, she can always specify that in the original post, or simply ignore anything not posted by a woman. Personally, I find most of the men's posts here to be educational or entertaining. Should I ever find them offensive, I'll add them to my ignore list. My current list has two women on it for every man, though, which is either a comment on the way women treat each other, or a comment on my lack of tolerance for intentional provocation. If men are ever banned from this forum, I'll leave, too.

As to the original post, when I go to the range alone, I go when I'll be there alone. On the rare occasion when anyone else has shown up, they come by to say hello and ask what I'm shooting, but no one has ever tried to give me unasked for "help" or instruction. I suspect that my taking over a pistol pit to practice shooting on the move generally keeps them out of my hair... it would require them to interrupt me by shouting, or to pass the barrier to be next to me, and that is bad range manners or a safety violation.

Mrs.Cicero

Thank you for the clarification, Mrs. Ciero. :)

.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

sawgrass
09-12-2010, 14:06
I don't have a problem with most of the men posting.
I sure makes me laugh though, when guys come to the women's
sub-forum and specifically ask for female opinion and the
first six reponders are men...

Too bad we don't have an ignore button for real life.
The club I shoot at is a private club. It's a nice club.
I would rather remain polite. Yesterday I just wasn't in the mood.
This .22 was made in the late 60's. It was given to me by my Dad
31 years ago. It's a little worn and is ammo picky. It didn't feed
something properly, and these damn rugs kept falling off of the wall
where I was shooting. When some old guy reached and put his hand
on my gun to take it from me to show me something. I snapped
at him. I hurt his feelings...

Misty02
09-12-2010, 16:46
See, that is something that would make me be extremely rude to another person, regardless how well intentioned they are. I do not like to be touched or have my personal space invaded; that is where I draw the line. The only people that get to touch me are my husband, children, grandchildren, parents and sister, and Iíve added childrenís significant other recently. Other than that, you would run the risk of being seriously scolded (in front of everyone) for even invading my personal space.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
The ongoing joke between my friends, other family members and co-workers when they want to threaten me is ďIíll hug you!Ē Oh boy, does that get them dirty looks. <o:p></o:p>
Now try living in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Spain</st1:place></st1:country-region> for most of your childhood where everyone you see kisses you not just once but TWICE. My poor mother spent most of my childhood apologizing for me the second I took a step back to prevent people from getting closer or extended my arm to keep them away. I was in heaven when we got to the <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">US</st1:place></st1:country-region> and found out that wasnít the custom here.
The claims guy in our office found out the hard way, I was leaning over the water dispenser getting water. He laid his hand on my back and asked how my weekend was. I straightened up instantaneously and ripped him a new one. I knew he meant no harm but that was irrelevant. Others explained after I left, you donít touch her and you donít invade her personal space. He later apologized, I told him there were no hard feelings and we should be ok as long as he never did it again.<o:p></o:p>
Yikes! That stroke a nerveÖ I better stop. :embarassed:<o:p></o:p>
I can understand wanting to be alone and you shouldnít feel the need to have to apologize for it. Everyone deserves some alone time, for whatever reason they have.<o:p></o:p>

ExxoticOne
09-12-2010, 17:05
I don't have a problem with most of the men posting.

I sure makes me laugh though, when guys come to the women's
sub-forum and specifically ask for female opinion and the
first six reponders are men...

We are still in male-dominated territory and human nature, being what it is, may just make some men curious. We have some extraordinary women on board, like GK&L, so I think the guys want to know what goes on between our ears. The only time it gets ridiculous is when a guy tries too hard to "know" you; when they antagonize you in every post or try and find out who your Facebooks friends are. The few girls here who follow suit are equally pathetic and if you went to their bio page you would see they are as ugly physically as they are emotionally. So, just like the range, there are annoyances
and ill-mannered weirdos online as well. Don't let stop you from enjoying yourself!

sawgrass
09-13-2010, 07:53
We are still in male-dominated territory and human nature, being what it is, may just make some men curious. We have some extraordinary women on board, like GK&L, so I think the guys want to know what goes on between our ears. The only time it gets ridiculous is when a guy tries too hard to "know" you; when they antagonize you in every post or try and find out who your Facebooks friends are. The few girls here who follow suit are equally pathetic and if you went to their bio page you would see they are as ugly physically as they are emotionally. So, just like the range, there are annoyances
and ill-mannered weirdos online as well. Don't let stop you from enjoying yourself!

Damn...EcxxoticOne, you are a popular girl is seems.

Yes, there are extraordinary women on board. Most of the women on GT
have their own voice, and interests. When I read about Mrs.Cicero's hunting
experiences, GKL and her dirt bikes, you and your lastest adventure, Lone_Wolfe well....LW has her own little place in my heart, PATRICE's mind
and of course there are many others. The point being, I'm not under the impression that any of us are average women. So it would seem to me that
if a woman is at the range alone even more so than with another woman,
a man might have a clue that she likely feels competent and doesn't want
any unsolicited help or advice.

Sometimes we take a collection of exceptional milsurp rifles to the range.
On those days we expect a lot of interest. It's a mixed reaction of having
two short middle aged women shooting M1Garands, M1Carbines, Turkish
Mausers, Finnish Mosins, Krags, 1891 and 1909 Argentines and the like.
It's fun on those days to see the bewilderment in some of their faces.
And particularly so when they see that these old girls (the guns :cool:)
shoot very well.

BobInTX
09-13-2010, 09:26
Hey, sorry to break in here. sawgrass:wavey: , I have an 1891 argentine mauser that my dad left me. He traded something for it back in the early sixties. He used it for deer hunting. It hasn't been fired in years. I'd like to take it to the range sometime. Where do you get your ammo? That's the 7.65 x 53, right? Do you use reloads or do you have a source?

Now back to your regular programming.

sawgrass
09-13-2010, 10:35
yes it is
Bob we shoot reloads. Have you ever shot it? I think they are beautiful guns.
How's that shotgun you picked up for your wife? Any better?

I think most decent gun shops have commercial new production
7.65 X 53. The surplus is corrosive and in poor shape.
Wrencher (ammo expert) says that 7.65 X 54 is the same thing.

ETA: Bob my pc wouldn't open the dog video you sent me...dang it.

Hey, sorry to break in here. sawgrass:wavey: , I have an 1891 argentine mauser that my dad left me. He traded something for it back in the early sixties. He used it for deer hunting. It hasn't been fired in years. I'd like to take it to the range sometime. Where do you get your ammo? That's the 7.65 x 53, right? Do you use reloads or do you have a source?

Now back to your regular programming.

MrsKitty
09-13-2010, 18:42
Don't ya just love those stereotypes? :rofl:

A few months ago, I bought a M44. When we finally got around to taking it to the range, the RO's tried to steer me to the opposite end of the range which wasn't occupied because there were a few guys out there with "really loud" high powered rifles and they didn't want me to be "intimidated" by the noise. They didn't see what I had...until I fired the first shot and EVERYBODY on the whole range come to see what it was. After my second shot they all cheered. Boy, my husband got a kick out of telling them it was mine. :rofl: :rofl:

Now when I go, the guys who've seen me there before don't offer their advice. There is usually somebody watching me but they aren't trying to "help" me. I was really uneasy the first few times I went to a range after moving here. I was used to going to my Grandpa's farm where it would only be myself and anyone I took. If I went to a public range, the men would always stay out until I was done. I never once ran into another women there. So being on a public range with other people was pretty freaky for me, especially with all the horror stories that I have heard!

WWJGD
09-13-2010, 22:43
A few months ago, I bought a M44. When we finally got around to taking it to the range, the RO's tried to steer me to the opposite end of the range which wasn't occupied because there were a few guys out there with "really loud" high powered rifles and they didn't want me to be "intimidated" by the noise. They didn't see what I had...until I fired the first shot and EVERYBODY on the whole range come to see what it was. After my second shot they all cheered. Boy, my husband got a kick out of telling them it was mine.

That's awesome, MrsK. Now, when are ya gonna let me shoot it? :supergrin: :wavey:

Misty02
09-14-2010, 08:12

A few months ago, I bought a M44. When we finally got around to taking it to the range, the RO's tried to steer me to the opposite end of the range which wasn't occupied because there were a few guys out there with "really loud" high powered rifles and they didn't want me to be "intimidated" by the noise. They didn't see what I had...until I fired the first shot and EVERYBODY on the whole range come to see what it was. After my second shot they all cheered. Boy, my husband got a kick out of telling them it was mine. :rofl: :rofl:

Now when I go, the guys who've seen me there before don't offer their advice. There is usually somebody watching me but they aren't trying to "help" me. I was really uneasy the first few times I went to a range after moving here. I was used to going to my Grandpa's farm where it would only be myself and anyone I took. If I went to a public range, the men would always stay out until I was done. I never once ran into another women there. So being on a public range with other people was pretty freaky for me, especially with all the horror stories that I have heard!

:supergrin: Thatís an awesome story, MrsKitty! I would have paid to have been there!

.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

sawgrass
09-14-2010, 08:15

That's fun! Mrs. Kitty I bet you are a blast (ha) to hang out with.
I think I've read that you are in NC? Which part if you don't mind saying?

Range duty is just around the corner for Wrencher and myself.
It always makes us ponder whether or not we're stupid enough to
attempt hunting on public land.

Mrs.Cicero
09-14-2010, 10:42
I visited a new indoor range this morning for the first time, because my 7&9 yr old have a homeschool air rifle class there. It was fantastic. The kids had a great time. It was 2 hours long and they left wanting more. There was a teacher for every child in the class... and the funniest thing was all the teachers were men older than I am, and all the students...

were little girls.

Mrs.Cicero

GamerGirl
09-14-2010, 10:52
I went to the range a few weeks ago with a LEO friend of mine. AS SHE WAS LINING UP A SHOT, some dude tapped her on the back and said "You're pretty good for a girl"
:faint:

OfficerChris
09-14-2010, 11:37
it just shows that we men would risk our lives for a nice girl :supergrin:

MrsKitty
09-14-2010, 15:31
:supergrin: Thatís an awesome story, MrsKitty! I would have paid to have been there!

That's awesome, MrsK. Now, when are ya gonna let me shoot it? :supergrin: :wavey:

That's fun! Mrs. Kitty I bet you are a blast (ha) to hang out with.
I think I've read that you are in NC? Which part if you don't mind saying?

Range duty is just around the corner for Wrencher and myself.
It always makes us ponder whether or not we're stupid enough to
attempt hunting on public land.

I'm in Knoxville, TN now. Come on out and we'll take over the whole range :rofl: :rofl:

Misty02
09-14-2010, 17:20
I'm in Knoxville, TN now. Come on out and we'll take over the whole range :rofl: :rofl:

I went to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Memphis</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">TN</st1:State></st1:place> several years ago. I could have looked you up and that would have been one heck of a hoot. Granted, back then I didn't have any guns and no clue this forum even existed, but those are just minor technicalities. :)

Can you imagine 14 or more women descending on an indoorís range with all sorts of rifles, shotguns and guns? Just to see peopleís faces would be worth the price of admission. :supergrin:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
You should see the range we go to when we take the entire family. Even if they set us 2 per lane we still take more than half the place. Last time we went together there were 14 of us, it looked like an invasion, there wasn't even enough counter space for everyone to do the paperwork at the same time, we had to take turns. We had the entire rifle section and some of the pistol section, we kept taking trips back and forth to make sure everyone spent some time with everyone else. That time was just awesome and beyond anything I can put to words. That bill hurt, but not as much as dinner bill did afterÖ OUCH!!<o:p></o:p>

LilWolfess
09-15-2010, 15:22
Ahh these are some funny stories!

I guess I've only been to one sortof public range. All the other places that I've been have only had 3-5 people there at a time, most of them people I know, with one other guy there who usually knows better than to approach, beings as Armyboy is usually present with me.

That one visit had me a little uncomfortable as two dudes on the far end came bumbling over and started pawing over my stuff, not handling or picking up mind you, but touching and rummaging so to speak. It was an easy matter of giving an angry (back off) look, and a verbal warning "Hey!"

They moved on to the ARs next to me instead of being chatty, beings as I was only shooting my "boring little .22" and they couldn't figure out what my Sig P238 was during the few moments of pawing before I could stop them. They were officially bumbling idiots, and were soon asked to leave because of their disrespect of range rules/etiquette.

soldier615
09-16-2010, 21:18
Mrs. Soldier here. I have had similar experiences. Even once when I was with my hubby. I was shooting my .357 magnum once and checking my target. A guy next to me saw me critiquing my shooting. I wasn't satisfied with the shot placement and said so to my hubby. The guy next to me (who was a LEO, I saw his badge pinned to his waist) says "What are you shooting?" to which I respond, "A .357 magnum." He then says "That would be good enough for me honey." Long story short, my next target, I put all 6 shots into a hole you could cover with a quarter at 15 yards. I show him the target and he says, "Well, you proved me wrong".

Gun ranges are what men think are their world. Whoever said "EGO", hit the nail on the head.

Carmen
09-19-2010, 15:16
I go to the range by myself now all the time, but when I was learning I went with my then boyfriend (now husband). I would have been uncomfortable at first, simply b/c I wasn't sure how to do everything with the gun, but now I'm fine. The guys at the range who I've spoken to are very nice. I've been able to shoot some guns I'd never buy b/c of it! They're talkative and nice. The only stupid one I ever met was their with his girlfriend who had never shot before..he was being an idiot. It was great b/c she was a better shot than him! But he wasn't bothering me in particular, just being loud and annoying.

vafish
09-20-2010, 09:57
I visited a new indoor range this morning for the first time, because my 7&9 yr old have a homeschool air rifle class there. It was fantastic. The kids had a great time. It was 2 hours long and they left wanting more. There was a teacher for every child in the class... and the funniest thing was all the teachers were men older than I am, and all the students...

were little girls.

Mrs.Cicero

Keep those little girls shooting air rifles (and other guns as well).

It pays off real well when they get to College!

PATRICE
09-26-2010, 11:26

PATRICE
09-26-2010, 14:14

ExxoticOne
09-26-2010, 14:36
I've never been to a shooting range, but after reading the posts in this thread (& others) I'm hesitant to ever do so.

Hi Patrice! I think you should check it out at least once. Amuse yourself! :rofl:

PATRICE
10-29-2010, 15:43

Airsprint
11-02-2010, 23:59
I can tell you why its a very simple one...

You are a girl.
They are a guy.
Guys like Girls.
Girls get chased by guys.

In other words don't take it personal its just guys trying to have relations with a female simple human nature.

LilWolfess
11-04-2010, 12:48
I can tell you why its a very simple one...

You are a girl.
They are a guy.
Guys like Girls.
Girls get chased by guys.

In other words don't take it personal its just guys trying to have relations with a female simple human nature.

Sorry but I think it's a little more complicated and involved than a simple kindergarten playground phenomenon!:rofl:

CombatBarbi
11-08-2010, 09:46
In Aurora, CO The Firing Line has a Women shoot free Mondays and me and my girlfriends go in groups to shoot there. I've had my fair share of boys poking their nose in to my shooting over the years. One time at that range in particular I had a older guy watching me shoot like I was a TV program, So I'm shooting my G19 off handed at a NRA Police Silhouette and with every shot he goes miss, miss, miss as I ran through my magazine so I bring my target back and he says Ma'am you should shoot two handed. My guy friend in the next lane walks up to him and says dood she's shooting at the left corner mini silhouette where I had shoot out most of that little guy, the older gentlemen promptly apologized and invited me to try out some of his wheel guns :wavey:

Shoeless
11-09-2010, 17:03
I find that I get ignored when I'm at the range. Not in a rude way, but I really don't get approached or get offers of "help" from men when I'm there. I'm okay with that, and it never occurred to me that other women might get bugged. That must mean y'all ladies are way hotter than I am! :supergrin:

Shoeless

ithaca_deerslayer
11-11-2010, 08:08
I find that I get ignored when I'm at the range. Not in a rude way, but I really don't get approached or get offers of "help" from men when I'm there. I'm okay with that, and it never occurred to me that other women might get bugged. That must mean y'all ladies are way hotter than I am! :supergrin:

Shoeless

Shoeless!

Hey, I think you've got plenty of the hotness factor. But what you might also have is confidence. If a guy sees that in you, he might steer clear.