.44 Special [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .44 Special

Ajon412
09-11-2010, 18:47
It appears that locating .44 Special ammo is going to be a challenge, to say the least. Prices for carry loads appear to be a tad more expensive than other calibers, anywhere from $18-30 for a box of 20 rounds. I don't reload, so I'm resigned to retail purchase for ammunition. Winchester 200gr Silver tips seem to be easier to locate than Speer 200gr GDHP or Federal 200gr SWCLHP. As far as practice rounds, the 200-240gr Cowboy Loads seem to be popular and are available in 50 round boxes. Does anyone have any feedback / personal experience with these Cowboy loads (accuracy, availability)? Thanks to all my fellow GT members who reply..:wavey:

g36user
09-11-2010, 19:19
I think the .44 special is a great round. I've never had a problem getting the cowboy rounds in my area. I've had really good luck with mag-tech. They have both round nose and flat nose. Accuracy has always been good (through my Ruger super blackhawk or Winchester lever action). If you plan on shooting allot, reloading is the only way to go.

Good luck,

g

Jeepnik
09-11-2010, 20:24
"Cowboy" loads are as you mention somewhat less expensive. Still not cheap. But, consider that the round uses fairly large brass, large pistol primers, a healthy powder charge, and pretty good sized bullets. These things alone result in some of the increased cost. Lower demand also has a big effect.

So, you already know all this, what's my point? Reload. You can use good ole cast lead bullets for your practice, and either use premium components or but premium factory ammo for carry. Nice thing about a revolver is that you can load and unload a round from the chamber as often as you want, without the stress placed on rounds by an autoloader.

CanyonMan
09-11-2010, 21:06
I reload, and I know you said you do not. I just wanted to say that cowboy loads abound for this caliber, and you should not have a problem finding them. But, do be forwarned, most all of them greatly foul the barrel pretty good. I been shooting the 44's for a looong time, and I do use Hard Cast bullets. There is a difference in Hard Cast, and just "cast lead" (aka Cowboy Bullet types). Nothing wrong with them or playing and shooting with them, Not at all. But most all of them will foul the fool out of your barrel. (lead fouling) They are much softer lead than Hard Cast (pictured below, my own reloads Hard Cast 21 BHN hardness).

I'll let these guys tell ya where to buy them as I do not buy commercial loads very often, (only when test need to be run or on request for that). Just saying get a good cleaner, and brush and keep that puppy clean after each shoot.

Yes you can use cowboy loads for your practice. But amigo you really got to clean out all that fouling very well, before you fire a Copper jacketed bullet through the barrel or you will just "iron" the lead fouling deeper inbetween the lands and grooves in you barrel. Some of the CB loads are quite accurate but not at real long range. These are made for CB action shooting and the like, and most all that is done at very close ranges. They are what they are. Just plain lead rond nose (sometimes SWC design) soft lead. I will say this in their defense. Hit a nman in the chest with one and they are nasty as heck !

Sorry that is far as my experience goes with them, and the fact is, as some have already said. You do need to set up to reload with this gun/caliber. ;)

My Hard cast Keith style reloads: No fouling.

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/GT%20stuff/cid__0905001737a.jpg

I wish ya well. Know I did not help much.
Just keep it real clean with those CB loads bud. ;)

Good shooting

CanyonMan

PlasticGuy
09-11-2010, 23:55
I'm a huge fan of the .44 Special cartridge, and have been for several years. Reloading is the true key to success, but lately ammo manufacturers have stepped it up with some great offerings.

Black Hills and Buffalo Bore both offer 240-250 grain swc's loaded pretty hot. I like these for rural carry where the predators may be on two legs or four. Cor-Bon loads a 165 grain hollowpoint hot also, and is probably the better option for in town "social use".

If you absolutely must buy off the shelf defensive ammo, the 200 grain gold dots and silvertips aren't bad. They're loaded pretty light compared to my three top choices, but they're still formidable.

For practice ammo, I have yet to find a bad option. I buy Black Hills cowboy if I have a choice, but Winchester shoots just as well. CanyonMan is right though. The lead is soft with all of these so you do need to clean your barrel well.

Ajon412
09-12-2010, 07:18
Thanks to all of you for your insight and feedback. That's one good thing about GT, I can always count on honest feedback from those members with more experienced in a particular field than me and I try to do the same for others.
I'm contemplating the purchase of a CA Bulldog .44 Spl for BUG / off duty use. For now, I think I'll stick with commercial loads for practice. I have to qualify out to 25 yards, so it appears the Cowboy loads (Mag Tech, Sillman, Perfect Practice) will suit my purpose. If I get the urge to shoot a whole lot more, then I definitely get set up for reloading. I normally use Break Free CLP for all my cleaning/lubrication needs. I'm pretty meticulous when it comes to keeping my firearms clean, especially the ones I carry on a daily basis.
I'll have to stay away from Buffalo Bore for carry, as it states that their ammo can not be used in CA revolvers. I'm going to take a closer look at the CorBon and Black Hills loads....:wavey:

BOGE
09-12-2010, 17:07
I have a CA Bulldog .44 Spcl. and TWICE it has had a Class III mechanical malfunction. Once it went back to the factory. I only carry it as a backup gun and not a primary carry due to the fact that I just cannot trust it 100%. I do NOT recommend one as a range gun for this very reason. They are very fragile.

My advice: reassess your choice as a primary CCW.

Ajon412
09-12-2010, 18:47
I have a CA Bulldog .44 Spcl. and TWICE it has had a Class III mechanical malfunction. Once it went back to the factory. I only carry it as a backup gun and not a primary carry due to the fact that I just cannot trust it 100%. I do NOT recommend one as a range gun for this very reason. They are very fragile.

My advice: reassess your choice as a primary CCW.

The Bulldog, for me, would only be used as a secondary / BUG when on duty. My primary weapon when off duty is my issued G22, or one of its siblings, either the G23 or G27. I keep hearing that the Bulldog should be carried more and shot less. Out of curiosity, how was CA customer service when you sent the Bulldog back for repairs? Thanks.

BOGE
09-12-2010, 22:49
...Out of curiosity, how was CA customer service when you sent the Bulldog back for repairs? Thanks.

Good, but they know it`s a POS design.

g36user
09-13-2010, 20:17
Thanks for the heads-up on the CA...it's a shame there aren't more choices for .44 special revolvers for CC.

Have a good one,

g

Glolt20-91
09-13-2010, 21:43
I really like what I've seen with the .44 Special using hardcast, 200gr for practice and 240gr or 255gr as a BUG carry, very effective in thick brush areas.

This scandium L-frame weighs in a svelte 24oz and is sweet to shoot;

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o144/aztrekker/At%20the%20range/ScandiumSmiths008.jpg

I changed out the Pach grips for Hogue's because they are more comfortable for me to shoot.

Enjoy,
Bob :cowboy:

CanyonMan
09-14-2010, 10:33
I really like what I've seen with the .44 Special using hardcast, 200gr for practice and 240gr or 255gr as a BUG carry, very effective in thick brush areas.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o144/aztrekker/At%20the%20range/ScandiumSmiths008.jpg

I changed out the Pach grips for Hogue's because they are more comfortable for me to shoot.

Enjoy,

NICE little hog leg amigo, you know I love that cal. What model is that Bob ?
Great set up man...

Talk with ya later. ;)

CM

Ajon412
09-14-2010, 10:52

Enjoy,

It's beautiful.......A tad too big for pocket carry, but I wouldn't hesitate at all to carry as a primary defensive weapon....I just checked the S&W website..That S&W 329 retails for $1,185 and is WAYYYYYYYYY outta my price range....:wow:

NonPCnraRN
09-14-2010, 21:20
If you already own a G27 get some Double Tap 200 gr WFNGC 40 S&W ammo. You are already used to the Glock firing platform. The G27 is a lot easier to shoot accurately than the Bulldog. I shot a friend's when they first came out. It was a sturdy gun but at 19 ounces even the 246 gr RN factory ammo was a ****** to shoot. The clylinder latch had a nasty habit of taking a chunk of flesh out of the thumb of the shooting hand. Rapid follow up shots were a exercise in sheer pain. The WFN design of the 200 gr DT rounds are far more effective than anything you would shoot in the Bulldog. If you reloaded then a Penn 185 gr double bevel based wadcutter would work well for SD. As for removing lead from any barrel, buy a copper Chore Boy and wrap a few strands around a brass bush and scrub the barrel. The copper strands will cut the lead out with just a few passes and WILL NOT harm the barrel. Make sure the Chore Boy is solid copper as some knock offs are copper washed steel wool....NOT GOOD. Test the Chore Boy with a magnet. This trick is from Marshall Stanton of Beartooth Bullets. If a barrel is leading badly and is free of copper or guilding metal then it may need firelapping. Beartooth bullets sells a kit for that but if you already have a G27 just get some Double Tap ammo. The .32" meplat of that ammo is huge compared to the flat nosed 44 spl cowboy loads. It is a lot larger than the meplat of the 45 ACP truncated cone bullet designed by Jeff Cooper. I would not have any qualms about using the DT 200 gr WFNGC hardcast ammo in a G22 as an impromtu trail gun for defense against black bear or turning a white tail deer into venison sammiches. Do not have any qualms about using that ammo in a Glock barrel as it is 1) hardcast; BHN of 21, 2) gas checked; no leading, and 3) problems with lead bullets in Glock barrels stems from use of softcast, BHN of 12 or swaged lead bullets.

BOGE
09-14-2010, 21:52
...The WFN design of the 200 gr DT rounds are far more effective than anything you would shoot in the Bulldog....

and 3) problems with lead bullets in Glock barrels stems from use of softcast, BHN of 12 or swaged lead bullets.

I disagree with the first premise. The Bulldog can shoot hot Keith Style loads albeit with recoil & IMO the Corbon DPX is a better round for CCW anyway.

Also, you have a misunderstanding of what causes ``leading``. Gas cutting causes leading in handguns and not an alloy too soft.

http://www.lasc.us/FryxellCBAlloyObturation.htm

NonPCnraRN
09-14-2010, 22:51
I disagree with the first premise. The Bulldog can shoot hot Keith Style loads albeit with recoil & IMO the Corbon DPX is a better round for CCW anyway.

Also, you have a misunderstanding of what causes ``leading``. Gas cutting causes leading in handguns and not an alloy too soft.

http://www.lasc.us/FryxellCBAlloyObturation.htm

I will address the leading first. I do not disagree with what you and Fryxell are saying. I was addressing the concern that aftermarket barrels are needed in Glocks to shoot lead bullets because of some KABOOMS related to shooting lead bullets attributed to factory barrels. According to Buffalo Bore, hardcast bullets are ok in Glock factory barrels. Per Double Tap, they take it a step further and only recommend hardcast bullets with gas checks for Glock factory barrels. The problems encountered are with softer lead bullets and polygonal rifling in Glock barrels. Also a rough bore can cause leading regardless of bullet hardness as can copper or guilding metal left in the barrel before shooting lead bullets. Yes, an undersized bullet is the major cause of leading and is notable in 45 Colt Ruger Blackhawks and Vaqueros. The chamber throats are notoriously undersized and swage down lead bullets to be undersized for the bore. I routinely have the chamber throats of 45 Colt Vaqueros reamed to .4525. The New Vaqueros in 45 Colt don't seem to have this undersized chamber throat problem.

The point I was trying to make and I guess not too clearly was that if the OP had a G27 he already had a prefectly good BUG, especially when paired with a Double Tap WFNGC with a meplat of .32". A 44 spl SWC with a .34" meplat will create a bigger wound assuming velocities are the same. However, my recollection with even the tame by comparison 246 gr RN 44 spl in the Bulldog was not something I would want to spend the afternoon doing. Like I said that Bulldog I shot was well made and would be a good BUG if one didn't have one already. It is also 5 rounds vs 10, and not as pleasant to shoot especially rapid fire.

Glolt20-91
09-15-2010, 00:26
It's beautiful.......A tad too big for pocket carry, but I wouldn't hesitate at all to carry as a primary defensive weapon....I just checked the S&W website..That S&W 329 retails for $1,185 and is WAYYYYYYYYY outta my price range....:wow:

It's a dedicated 5-shot, .44 Special M396 Night Guard series, I don't know if they are being made now since it's not listed at the S&W website.

Cost at Bud's website is $738, but it's not currently listed as being in stock.

The M396 fits in the back pocket of Wrangler jeans and can be loaded using HKS, CA44 speedloaders.

I believe .44 Special Corbon DPX ammo yielded around 19" of ballistic gel penetration.

BOGE
09-15-2010, 02:06
I will address the leading first. I do not disagree with what you and Fryxell are saying. I was addressing the concern that aftermarket barrels are needed in Glocks to shoot lead bullets because of some KABOOMS related to shooting lead bullets attributed to factory barrels. According to Buffalo Bore, hardcast bullets are ok in Glock factory barrels. Per Double Tap, they take it a step further and only recommend hardcast bullets with gas checks for Glock factory barrels. The problems encountered are with softer lead bullets and polygonal rifling in Glock barrels. Also a rough bore can cause leading regardless of bullet hardness as can copper or guilding metal left in the barrel before shooting lead bullets. Yes, an undersized bullet is the major cause of leading and is notable in 45 Colt Ruger Blackhawks and Vaqueros. The chamber throats are notoriously undersized and swage down lead bullets to be undersized for the bore. I routinely have the chamber throats of 45 Colt Vaqueros reamed to .4525. The New Vaqueros in 45 Colt don't seem to have this undersized chamber throat problem.

The point I was trying to make and I guess not too clearly was that if the OP had a G27 he already had a prefectly good BUG, especially when paired with a Double Tap WFNGC with a meplat of .32". A 44 spl SWC with a .34" meplat will create a bigger wound assuming velocities are the same. However, my recollection with even the tame by comparison 246 gr RN 44 spl in the Bulldog was not something I would want to spend the afternoon doing. Like I said that Bulldog I shot was well made and would be a good BUG if one didn't have one already. It is also 5 rounds vs 10, and not as pleasant to shoot especially rapid fire.

Point well taken re polygonal rifling. :cool:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Corbon%2044%20Special%20DPX%20Report.htm

Ajon412
09-15-2010, 03:58
It's a dedicated 5-shot, .44 Special M396 Night Guard series, I don't know if they are being made now since it's not listed at the S&W website.

Cost at Bud's website is $738, but it's not currently listed as being in stock.

The M396 fits in the back pocket of Wrangler jeans and can be loaded using HKS, CA44 speedloaders.

I believe .44 Special Corbon DPX ammo yielded around 19" of ballistic gel penetration.

Bob,

Thanks. I stand corrected. It's still a good looking handgun...

saltydog452
09-15-2010, 10:10
Messing around with a .44 Special or .41 is about as much fun as a revolver shooter/reloader is likely to have.

Neither are exactly suited as 'urban' calibers.

salty

Ajon412
09-15-2010, 15:11

Again, I appreciate the feedback. I'm a FI at my department and have access to pretty much an unlimited supply of Federal 165gr HST JHP duty ammo, in addition to practice rounds. As per policy, this is the only ammo I can carry in my .40's and ammo for BUG / OD weapons has to be similar to our duty ammo. I looked at the DT round and it looks impressive, as do rounds from CorBon and BB.
My urge to purchase a .44 CA recently began when I was researching .38 Spl loads for my S&W 640 BUG. I came upon an article comparing the .38 spl to a .44 spl and it became apparent that the CA .44 spl is only a tad larger that the "J" frame S&W for pocket carry. I'd rather have 5 rounds of 200-240gr .44spl than 110-158gr of .38 spl. in the same package / platform. Now, with that being said, I'd take 10-16 rounds of .40 S&W 165 gr Federal HST in my G22 ( or G23/27) over both. The S&W or CA, for me, is relegated to BUG status. My primary defensive weapon,for the most part,will alway be my G22,23,27.
I've been in Lawman business for almost 29 years (I still can't believe it) and I started my career in 1982 with a S&W Model 10 M&P 4" .38 Spl as a duty weapon. I've always had an affinity for revolvers, having carried one full time from 1982-1992, when my former department FINALLY switched over to semi-auto's. I've always found revolvers to be reliable, basic and simple, like me and I still like carrying them to this day. Call me crazy.....:crazy:

NonPCnraRN
09-17-2010, 00:13
If you like the 38 spl snub nosed guns, Penn makes a 230 gr Thunderhead in .357 cal for the 38 and 357. It is target alloy (BHN of 12) and good to 900 fps without leading. The blunt nose (meplat) makes it a very good stopper. The bullets look like a .38 cal oil drum. They would be perfect in a snubbie model 10 and you would have 6 shots. They would also work well in a 5 shot 357 snubbie with mv kept at 900 fps. http://www.pennbullets.com/38/38-caliber.html

Ajon412
11-10-2010, 14:38
If you already own a G27 get some Double Tap 200 gr WFNGC 40 S&W ammo. You are already used to the Glock firing platform. The G27 is a lot easier to shoot accurately than the Bulldog. I shot a friend's when they first came out. It was a sturdy gun but at 19 ounces even the 246 gr RN factory ammo was a ****** to shoot. The clylinder latch had a nasty habit of taking a chunk of flesh out of the thumb of the shooting hand. Rapid follow up shots were a exercise in sheer pain. The WFN design of the 200 gr DT rounds are far more effective than anything you would shoot in the Bulldog. If you reloaded then a Penn 185 gr double bevel based wadcutter would work well for SD. As for removing lead from any barrel, buy a copper Chore Boy and wrap a few strands around a brass bush and scrub the barrel. The copper strands will cut the lead out with just a few passes and WILL NOT harm the barrel. Make sure the Chore Boy is solid copper as some knock offs are copper washed steel wool....NOT GOOD. Test the Chore Boy with a magnet. This trick is from Marshall Stanton of Beartooth Bullets. If a barrel is leading badly and is free of copper or guilding metal then it may need firelapping. Beartooth bullets sells a kit for that but if you already have a G27 just get some Double Tap ammo. The .32" meplat of that ammo is huge compared to the flat nosed 44 spl cowboy loads. It is a lot larger than the meplat of the 45 ACP truncated cone bullet designed by Jeff Cooper. I would not have any qualms about using the DT 200 gr WFNGC hardcast ammo in a G22 as an impromtu trail gun for defense against black bear or turning a white tail deer into venison sammiches. Do not have any qualms about using that ammo in a Glock barrel as it is 1) hardcast; BHN of 21, 2) gas checked; no leading, and 3) problems with lead bullets in Glock barrels stems from use of softcast, BHN of 12 or swaged lead bullets.

I finally picked up a CA 44 Bulldog Pug. So far, so good. I've been shooting 200 and 240 gr LSWC ammo and the lead really builds up. I've located (1) source of 240gr FMJ ammo from Underwood Ammunition Co. I'm gonna give it a try. Thanks for the tip about using Chore Boy. I was able to track some down and that, along with a bottle of "Bore Scrubber" really removes lead from the barrel....:wavey:

Jeepnik
11-11-2010, 15:31
I reload, and I know you said you do not. I just wanted to say that cowboy loads abound for this caliber, and you should not have a problem finding them. But, do be forwarned, most all of them greatly foul the barrel pretty good. I been shooting the 44's for a looong time, and I do use Hard Cast bullets. There is a difference in Hard Cast, and just "cast lead" (aka Cowboy Bullet types). Nothing wrong with them or playing and shooting with them, Not at all. But most all of them will foul the fool out of your barrel. (lead fouling) They are much softer lead than Hard Cast (pictured below, my own reloads Hard Cast 21 BHN hardness).

I'll let these guys tell ya where to buy them as I do not buy commercial loads very often, (only when test need to be run or on request for that). Just saying get a good cleaner, and brush and keep that puppy clean after each shoot.

Yes you can use cowboy loads for your practice. But amigo you really got to clean out all that fouling very well, before you fire a Copper jacketed bullet through the barrel or you will just "iron" the lead fouling deeper inbetween the lands and grooves in you barrel. Some of the CB loads are quite accurate but not at real long range. These are made for CB action shooting and the like, and most all that is done at very close ranges. They are what they are. Just plain lead rond nose (sometimes SWC design) soft lead. I will say this in their defense. Hit a nman in the chest with one and they are nasty as heck !

Sorry that is far as my experience goes with them, and the fact is, as some have already said. You do need to set up to reload with this gun/caliber. ;)

My Hard cast Keith style reloads: No fouling.

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/GT%20stuff/cid__0905001737a.jpg

I wish ya well. Know I did not help much.
Just keep it real clean with those CB loads bud. ;)

Good shooting

CanyonMan

Hey, those look very familiar, RCBS mould?

fastbolt
11-11-2010, 16:40
I owned a pair of the older CA Bulldogs. One in stainless and the other in Blue.

Neither would run particularly well, but the stainless one was the worst. It would repeatedly seize up even when firing low pressure factory rounds.

The revolver armorer of that time eventually threw up his hands and refused to try and make them work.

As I recall, after I unloaded the blue one I had to send the stainless one back to the factory either 2 or 3 times. The last time it was returned I took it out the box and tried to dry-fire it. It didn't even make it around the cylinder once before locking up. Since I was standing in the gunshop who had handled the shipping for me, I traded it for something else and left without the Bulldog.

Granted that was 20 or more years ago, but I don't have any inclination to own another one as long as they're using the same design.

As far as my other .44's go, I used to be an avid handloader and enjoyed using hard cast LSWC loads when it came to .44 Spl.

After I had my brief fling with the CA .44's, I decided that I could achieve better ballistic performance, and carry more rounds, by simply carrying my Commander. ;)

I do like a nicely made and tuned revolver, though, being a long time revolver shooter.

ColCol
11-11-2010, 19:17

I can't answer for CM of course but, they look like what my Lyman 429421 mould would throw.

CanyonMan
11-12-2010, 08:20

Nope. I get my cast bullets 21BHN from Cast Performance, Hunters Supply, and Lead Heads, and Beartooth. These were from ( i think) Lead Heads, or Cast performance.

Good shotting

CM

CanyonMan
11-12-2010, 08:27
I can't answer for CM of course but, they look like what my Lyman 429421 mould would throw.

Yes, they do resemble two or three different mold types dont they? But like I said, I got the from LH's or CP. Can't remember which without crawling under the reloading bench and draggin out a ton of lead to look see. :wavey:

I got a 300gr Cast Performance I load often in the 44 special that i get about 900fps from. Works great and has very deep penetration. Love that load. Love the 44 special. Been loading and shoing it for around 40 odd years I guess. Great cartridge. ;)

Stay safe !

CM

NonPCnraRN
11-12-2010, 13:10
Nope. I get my cast bullets 21BHN from Cast Performance, Hunters Supply, and Lead Heads, and Beartooth. These were from ( i think) Lead Heads, or Cast performance.

Good shotting

CM

Shotting is what the other guy does when you point your 44 at him! :shocked:

ColCol
11-12-2010, 14:57
Been loading and shoing it for around 40 odd years I guess. Great cartridge.

Elmer would be proud of you!!

CanyonMan
11-12-2010, 15:06
Shotting is what the other guy does when you point your 44 at him! :shocked:

:rofl:

Man my english teachers hated me !!!

CM

CanyonMan
11-12-2010, 15:10
Elmer would be proud of you!!

Well, we'll never know, but I would like to think so. haha He was my inspiration since childhood. First thing I ever hand loaded was a 44mag 22.0grs 2400 under a 255gr Keith. That was 40+ years ago, and been hooked ever since amigo ! ;)

Stay safe

CM