Which pistol light mounts the best? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Which pistol light mounts the best?

bjesse60
09-12-2010, 19:50
I have looked at the Streamlight tlr-1s & the Insight WX150 just curious which would mount better to a Glock 23 rail or is there a better option, surefire is a little out of my price range! thank's :cool:

muad
09-12-2010, 19:57
IMO, the Glock Tactical Light mounts and looks the best. May be older technology (non LED), but the thing is super bright and built like a tank.

The GTL10 is about $95 from amazon I believe.

dc2integra
09-12-2010, 20:00
the glock light mounts on there perfectly but its non LEDbut it does the job you can pick it up for around 80-90 bucks the trl-1 is also a great light extremely bright better than the glock light for sure but i like to keep everything from the factory

muad
09-12-2010, 20:17
FWIW, I plan on snagging a TLR-1 someday in the future.

rd3
09-12-2010, 20:18
I've got a tlr-2 on my g23 and have no issues with it. works great

txgunguy
09-12-2010, 20:52
I got my glock light brand new for 60$ at a gun show. People on here tell me how it's old technology and not bright enough :upeyes: It's very bright and does the job.

ju993rnaut
09-12-2010, 21:03
I've got the insight wx150. It mounts easily with one hand, no thumb screw tighting necesary. it just barely sticks out past the barrel on my g17( you do the math for your 23). I like it because easy on easy off, very bright(150 lumens) and its shorter than almost all the others.

17119jfkioe
09-12-2010, 21:21
I just bought an insight m3 for 75 bucks, (Xenon) but 90 lumens is plenty bright for my living quarters. I highly recommend something from insight. You can get an m3 LED version for around 100-110. First of all, see that little notch in your frame right under the light rail? A spring loaded bar clicks right into there and the back of the light (where the on and off switch is) fits perfectly flush with the trigger guard. The mounting rails on the light housing itself are stationary so basically the light just slides straight on and off in a forward motion. It has ROCK SOLID fit, like it was designed for the glock. Next I like to bring up asthetics. the insight looks much better on the gun IMHO than any streamlight or glock light. The light housing just naturally blends into the shape of the gun and if you get the light with the polymer body, You keep it all uniform. Go insight, you WILL NOT be disapointed.

bjesse60
09-13-2010, 03:51
I just bought an insight m3 for 75 bucks, (Xenon) but 90 lumens is plenty bright for my living quarters. I highly recommend something from insight. You can get an m3 LED version for around 100-110. First of all, see that little notch in your frame right under the light rail? A spring loaded bar clicks right into there and the back of the light (where the on and off switch is) fits perfectly flush with the trigger guard. The mounting rails on the light housing itself are stationary so basically the light just slides straight on and off in a forward motion. It has ROCK SOLID fit, like it was designed for the glock. Next I like to bring up asthetics. the insight looks much better on the gun IMHO than any streamlight or glock light. The light housing just naturally blends into the shape of the gun and if you get the light with the polymer body, You keep it all uniform. Go insight, you WILL NOT be disapointed.

Thank you, very informative.

swinokur
09-13-2010, 05:38
I have the Insight M6X light/laser combo. IMO the Insight latch bar system is superior to the screw clamp system used by Streamlight and Surefire

INSIGHT makes an LED upgrade head for the older M series lights with Xenon bulbs. 150 lumens

RayB
09-14-2010, 05:03
If you’re willing to spend a little more, an LED-based weapon light is a good investment.

LEDs (Light Emitting Diodes) are solid state devices which have been under development since the late 1960’s. They are virtually shock proof, they're 40% efficient, so they’re easy on batteries, and they have an operational life measured in thousands of hours. Plus, today's LEDs are plenty bright for use as tactical illuminators.

Light bulbs are sensitive to heat, shock, and have an operational life measured in tens of hours. Plus, they're about 7% efficient, so they gobble up batteries. But they otherwise work well, and cost less up front. At this time, light bulbs can still be ultimately brighter than LEDs.

Still, with Murphy's Law considered, if it absolutely, positively has to work every time, you want an LED-based illuminator!

Of the current models offered, based on personal experience and careful evaluation, I'd recommend them as follows...

Best: SureFire X300. This is still the finest of the compact weapon-mounted lights, offering superb performance and top-notch quality. It is the most hardened of the bunch, having been designed and built for battlefield use! Excellent switch options exist for this light!

Next Best: Insight WX150. I own the forerunner--the Insight XTI Procyon--and it gives my SureFire a real run for the money in both performance and quality—all at $100.00 less! The WX150 offers a strobe function to disorient an intruder.

Best Value: Streamlight TLR-1 C4. A very nice weapon light for the price, with impressive performance. It is the least hardened of the three weapon lights, but will serve well for home defense or bedside use. This light also offers a strobe function, and uses a clamp-on rail mount, as opposed to a slip-on mount, as used by the other two lights.

Any of the above, will light an entire average room, and based on your needs and budget, represents a good purchase!

--Ray

BleedNOrange
09-14-2010, 07:52
I bought a tlr-3 for my sub compact M&P 9mm. Its very small and brighter than the tlr-1(old model) I have. It has several "keys" that come with it so it will mount to just about any pistol, not just the sub compact. I picked one up for about 75 bucks at my local gun shop