Remington 887 Tactical [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Remington 887 Tactical

the swamp fox
09-13-2010, 23:19
OK guys......tell me the good and bad on this new offering from Remington.:whistling:

aippi
09-14-2010, 00:12
Well it was first offered in only a sporting type model for hunting. It was given the "dog of the year award" by some gun magazines. So, it was not selling well. So Remington puts some tacti-fool mess on it and offers it as a tactical model. I predict this will not last long and will be discontinued soon unless it finds a market with the tacti-fool crowd.

It was a model brought out by Remington to compete with some of the others out there that were selling well. Look at it and you will see what it looks like. Take a guess who they are competing against with the 887. Remington screwed up on this in my book. The 870 is not a fad, it has been with us since 1950 and there are over 10,000,000 sold and counting. Why they thought they needed to come up with some mess like this when the 870 is with us is beyond my ability to even answer. Freedom Group bought Remington and is calling the shots so look for more mess to come. Damn shame.

mixflip
09-14-2010, 00:14
Well it did win the "Clunker Award". I checked one out when shopping for my Benelli SuperNova Tactical. It has been said that it was designed in response to the Nova and SuperNova but has missed the mark big time.

http://www.randywakeman.com/ClunkerOf2009Award.htm

aippi
09-14-2010, 00:54
The thread that Mixflip posted sure beats the heck over the little *****ing I did.

Run from this model and get an 870. Freedom group has not messed it up yet. They are to busy messing with DPMS, Bushmaster and the other companies they merged with Remington. So get an 870 and be happy.

the swamp fox
09-14-2010, 11:25
Thanks for the input guys. For some reason I just love the "mall ninja" look of the 887, but everything I've been able to read has been negative. Light primer strikes,etc. :whistling:

mixflip
09-14-2010, 12:31
Oh you can mallnijafy a Remington 870 no problem, if you like that look. I remember seeing this thing called a Rhino rail for a shotgun and it was big and heavy and you could clamp on every light and laser your heart desired.

the swamp fox
09-14-2010, 13:20
Oh you can mallnijafy a Remington 870 no problem, if you like that look. I remember seeing this thing called a Rhino rail for a shotgun and it was big and heavy and you could clamp on every light and laser your heart desired.
Thanks Mix...I have two 870's, this 887 just caught my attention yesterday at the LGS. I believe I'll pass after much reading.:embarassed:

aippi
09-14-2010, 15:52
Mixflip - I request permission to use the word Mallnijafy. Took me a second to figure it as out as I am not to bright but finally got it and I am still laughing. I love it and want to use it.

mixflip
09-14-2010, 18:42
Permission granted. lol.

dc2integra
09-14-2010, 20:18
wow that is one of the ugliest shotguns I have ever seen I cant believe remington would have one of these on their line up

mixflip
09-15-2010, 01:49
They were trying to take away some of the market share that the plastic armored Benelli Nova and SuperNova kind of has a monoploly on. It didnt work. Benelli is smoking Remington in that category.

the swamp fox
09-15-2010, 15:31
Well guys....after work today I went back and took a look at the 887 and racked it a few times and......it sucks. It felt like to pieces of dry plastic being scrubbed together. I just had to see for myself yet again and I wanted to give you a bow and say your advice and info was spot on!:cool:

aippi
09-15-2010, 16:01
Collectively we get it right sometimes. But even a blind hog finds an acorn every now and then. Just don't confuse that mess with an 870. Any of the 870HD's, Tacticals of P models will make you smile. The Mossberg 500 or 590 will get it done also.

chuck pullen
09-15-2010, 17:25
I've racked one at the local gun store. Felt both stiff and cheap, and was pretty ugly. Then I came home and racked my 1976 Wingmaster. The Wingmaster was smooth, solid and just looks great. They didn't even feel like they were made by the same company.

majorminor45
09-25-2010, 13:22
Held one at the NRA Convention in Charlotte this year and it was the worst feeling shotgun I have ever held in my hands. I too racked the shotgun and it felt extremely cheap. +1 Stick with 870

rvnvet
09-25-2010, 20:53
Thanks for the input guys. For some reason I just love the "mall ninja" look of the 887, but everything I've been able to read has been negative. Light primer strikes,etc. :whistling:

Is there any cure for the light primer strikes? My friend has a new 887 Tactical and he gets a light primer strike about every 3-4 rounds.

Police Marksman
10-07-2010, 19:30
This guy loves his 887 Tactical, check it out! For a little over $400 its hard to beat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhce_InjQbk

http://www.gunblog.com/remington-887-nitro-mag-tactical-review/

sambeaux2249
10-07-2010, 23:56
This guy loves his 887 Tactical, check it out! For a little over $400 its hard to beat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhce_InjQbk

http://www.gunblog.com/remington-887-nitro-mag-tactical-review/

Meh. One positive review does not a good gun make. I'm intrigued, but I have yet to see anything that makes it sound lightyears ahead of anything else. In fact, it sounds an awful lot like a direct ripoff of the Benelli Nova. I have 870's and Benelli Novas... I'd be curious to try one out, but I can't see buying one. My shotgun arsenal is pretty complete already. *shrugs* On the other hand, thanks for the reviews, it's nice to hear SOMEONE likes it.

Sam

okbye
10-08-2010, 00:54
saw this shotgun a long time ago. I was repulsed by the ugliness thereof.

Police Marksman
10-17-2010, 12:52
I purchased a 887 Tactical a couple of weeks ago ($425 out the door). I really like it. I am a firearms instructor with our local police department. We issue the Remington 870. I own a couple of 870s and a Mossberg 590 A1.

I took the 887 to the range and shot around 200 rounds of buckshot, slugs and birdshot. There were no malfunctions of any kind. It was a very pleasant shooter.

I enjoyed shooting this shotgun more than the issued 870, it seemed to recoil less (shoulder was not sore at the end of the day). The 887 seemed much lighter than the 870, which made it quicker to maneuver.

The action was very smooth, and quick. I highly recommend this shotgun for self defense.

TxGun
10-17-2010, 13:50
If it is fully reliable as the 870...or gets there soon, it would make sense for HD/SD. It's virtually corrosion-proof with the polymer cladding and, since many people don't take particularly good care of their guns, the 887 could be a good choice for them.

sambeaux2249
10-17-2010, 22:16
If it is fully reliable as the 870...or gets there soon, it would make sense for HD/SD. It's virtually corrosion-proof with the polymer cladding and, since many people don't take particularly good care of their guns, the 887 could be a good choice for them.

The Benelli Nova is cheaper, has a better track record, boasts the same plastic clad steel construction, and hasn't received any "dog of the year" awards. I suspect that the aftermarket accessory pool is approximately nil, while the Nova has at least a few goodies available. I'm just not sure what the 887 gains you. I'm interested in the new action, but it's mostly just curiosity. There are too many proven designs around to gamble on a new gun that at least at first seemed universally hated.

Sam

Coburna
08-19-2014, 21:43

It is now August of 2014, this shotgun has been amazing since I picked it up a year ago. Tons and tons of rounds through it and it stays in the back of my cruiser. Don't listed to people who keep snowballing the bad reviews. This firearm is magnificent and outshines my Ole 870.not a single problem (even with ****ty win universal). Only time will tell but so far I'm so glad we switched to these. Again... Don't listen to fools who have never shot one. It's like me giving my opinion on a Bradley tank.

aippi
08-20-2014, 10:31
I purchased a 887 Tactical a couple of weeks ago ($425 out the door). I really like it. I am a firearms instructor with our local police department. We issue the Remington 870. I own a couple of 870s and a Mossberg 590 A1.

I took the 887 to the range and shot around 200 rounds of buckshot, slugs and birdshot. There were no malfunctions of any kind. It was a very pleasant shooter.

I enjoyed shooting this shotgun more than the issued 870, it seemed to recoil less (shoulder was not sore at the end of the day). The 887 seemed much lighter than the 870, which made it quicker to maneuver.

The action was very smooth, and quick. I highly recommend this shotgun for self defense.

Typical. Shooting a firearm and knowing the internals, how they are designed and how the components interact within the platform are entirely different things. Rather strange also that you would use an 870 on duty and train other officers to use one and then go with a less capable and reliable weapon. I find your recommend that the 887 Tactical is a OK defense just fine but find the word "Highly" rater strange. Nothing wrong with that I guess as you are giving an opinion. However, why would one even consider it when there are 870's and 590's out there? Why step down to a weapon built for a the nitch market of the tacti-fool crowd? I can not repeat the comments on the 887 from the LE guys at Remington as they were out of school comments but they would not agree with your "Highly" comment.

125K9
09-14-2014, 12:01
The thread that Mixflip posted sure beats the heck over the little *****ing I did.

Run from this model and get an 870. Freedom group has not messed it up yet. They are to busy messing with DPMS, Bushmaster and the other companies they merged with Remington. So get an 870 and be happy.

Hey thanks aippi, I'd not realized that the "Freedom" bunch had also bought DPMS. I was looking for a cheaper AR to compliment my Colt LE6920 and my local Walmart had them in the $600ish price range. That's almost $200.00 less than the same type of Windham AR they offer. Guess I'll go back to the latter.

faawrenchbndr
09-14-2014, 19:08
.......almost $200.00 less than the same type of Windham AR they offer. Guess I'll go back to the latter.

There is a reason DPMS is cheaper........

callihan_44
09-15-2014, 09:09
I would get the 870 just for the enormous amount of accessories and aftermarket parts for it.

Sigobsessed
10-08-2014, 18:08
My wife bought me one of the 887 turkey guns years ago I use it for turkey hunting and have never had any malfunctions shooting 3 1/2 in magnum turkey loads. I still wish she would have bought the 870 super magnum instead but I would never tell her that. I have 4 870s they are much better shotguns but I don't mind beating up the 887 in the woods.