ammo in the garage? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : ammo in the garage?

J_Rico
09-14-2010, 08:15
My understanding was that ammo should be stored in a cool dry place.

There was another thread here about leaving ammo in cars and one guy even mentioned he stored ammo in his garden shed.

Have questions, but did not want to hi-jack that thread.

My ammo storage is getting pretty tight. Lots of room in the garage, but I have always avoided that as it gets hot and humid here (central Ark).

Am I being paranoid? Could I store a few (dozen) ammo cans in the garage and count on the contents to function properly in a decade or so? Do any of you guys store your ammo in similar conditions?

Thanks,
WB

Randy from Kansas
09-14-2010, 08:25
It would not bother me to store ammo in the garage. Use ammo cans like you said and add a packet of silica Gel Desiccant in each can to keep the moisture from harming the brass. Can you put it in a cabnet to keep out of eye sight and lock it up?

banger
09-14-2010, 08:59
At the risk of being a "naysayer", I too keep a moderate amount of ammo in my vehicles.

My opinion is that if a box or two should degrade, I have not lost that much. I will fire it off or even toss it.

On the other hand, purposely exposing thousands of rounds of 7.62 NATO or such to poor storage conditions is another matter all together.

Given the current price of ammo, I think it is prudent to store it in the best way possible, to increase the likelihood of proper function for years to come.

FatBoy
09-14-2010, 09:56
I responded to the other thread. And keep ammo in my truck, but shoot it up during the year. I have left ammo in the the garage for a year. I forgot about it and found it the next summer(-20 to +100F over the year.) It still fired fine, but I would not want the large temp swings for 10-20 years.

If you are running out of room, you'll need to get creative in storing (hiding) your stash. There was a guy a few years back that had made coffee/end tables out of full ammo cans and had them stored under his box spring mattress too.

FB

1 old 0311
09-14-2010, 13:36
If ammo is NOT stored properly, like WW2 surplus from Germany, or 1950's vintage from communist countries it will PROBABLY go bad in 100 years. Stored properly? Anyones guess!

J_Rico
09-14-2010, 14:43
Thanks guys.

Tried to convince the wife that wooden 30cal crates would go great in the living room and all it did was make her ask how much ammo I had been buying. So, I dropped that idea.

MrVvrroomm
09-14-2010, 15:18
Shoot more, worry less.