Service calibers 3 important points to know! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Service calibers 3 important points to know!

M&P Shooter
09-14-2010, 12:22
(1) 9mm/.357sig/.40cal/45acp/10mm/357 magnum will all stop a BG with a quality jhp and shot placement.

(2) A quality weapon that your comfortable with and fits your hand's well is very important

(3) Training will save your life faster then a $1,000 weapon with the best ammo in the hands of a untrained person

I have been reading the caliber wars for years and their sometimes fun to debate in but the above 3 facts can't be denied as the most important factors in surviving a deadly encounter with a BG. I prefer large calibers based on my research over many years but I'm confident enough in my 25 years of training at the range and IDPA matches to be left standing with pretty much any weapon and that's a important part of a gun fight(Mind set) My whole point of this thread is to remind people training trumps everything.

Stay safe guys and get to the dam range with those weapons:wavey:

mikeflys1
09-14-2010, 12:42
:goodpost:

AZBru88
09-14-2010, 12:45
Very true M&P. It always amazed me when buying used guns, how many I bought with 12 shells out of the original box of ammo or a mag or two worth gone.
Even if you can't make it to the range. You can practice dry fire and drawing exercises at home with a unloaded gun!
I have friends that have CCW lic. and either leave the gun in a bag in the car, or don't carry at all. What good is a gun if you don't have it on you when you need it?
All of the above you wrote is pure common sense to me. Even after shooting for 45+ years I still read, take classes and try to improve every week when I'm on the range. I challenge myself and my family (daughter and granddaughter). Try to teach them a new trick or two every time I take them out shooting.

IndyGunFreak
09-14-2010, 13:23
(1) 9mm/.357sig/.40cal/45acp/10mm/357 magnum will all stop a BG with a quality jhp and shot placement.

(2) A quality weapon that your comfortable with and fits your hand's well is very important

(3) Training will save your life faster then a $1,000 weapon with the best ammo in the hands of a untrained person

I have been reading the caliber wars for years and their sometimes fun to debate in but the above 3 facts can't be denied as the most important factors in surviving a deadly encounter with a BG. I prefer large calibers based on my research over many years but I'm confident enough in my 25 years of training at the range and IDPA matches to be left standing with pretty much any weapon and that's a important part of a gun fight(Mind set) My whole point of this thread is to remind people training trumps everything.

:agree:

fredj338
09-14-2010, 13:41

Agreed, 100%, but since perfect shot placement can never be guaranteed, I'll hedge my bet w/ bigger bullet, or more energy on target. If it were only about shot placement, then we would all carry 22lr & we don't.:dunno: Why, beause more pwoerful rounds cause more damage to the target & end the fight sooner.

mastrbloata
09-14-2010, 15:07
You know, this posting reminds me of when my mother finally explained to me that it was her leaving the money under my pillow nights, not the tooth fairy. Did she really have to tell me? My young life was so much happier, content, and filled with the wonderment of believing in Hobbits and Trolls, Santa, and that babies were delivered by storks. Some people take joy in ruining other peoples simple pleasures, like coming here every day and searching for the "magic bullet" only to be told it doesn't exist. Did you really have to be such a joy killer and post this here?

M&P Shooter
09-14-2010, 15:25
Agreed, 100%, but since perfect shot placement can never be guaranteed, I'll hedge my bet w/ bigger bullet, or more energy on target. If it were only about shot placement, then we would all carry 22lr & we don't.:dunno: Why, beause more pwoerful rounds cause more damage to the target & end the fight sooner.
I agree with you 100% and that's why I carry a M&P 45acp but my point is no matter what you carry if you practice with it and mentally train yourself you will most likely be the one left standing in the end.

fredj338
09-14-2010, 15:39
I agree with you 100% and that's why I carry a M&P 45acp but my point is no matter what you carry if you practice with it and mentally train yourself you will most likely be the one left standing in the end.
:agree: The reverse is also true. Regardless of you gun/ammo choice, if you don't train & train well, you are relying on luck as much as anything else.:wow:

GunFighter45ACP
09-14-2010, 15:52
Please sticky the OP then close it. In no time at all it will be referred to more than the phrase: 'Use the search feature'

Berto
09-14-2010, 16:54
.357sig is better.

:whistling:

M&P Shooter
09-14-2010, 17:42
.357sig is better.

:whistling:
You had to do it:rofl:

fastbolt
09-14-2010, 17:53
You know, I can't remember ever seeing a nail which had been properly driven into wood and wondering what sort of hammer had been used to put it there ...

pupcuss27
09-14-2010, 18:09
The thugs take time to train.

Take and think a moment about how you in a match with them.

Backyard MMA ( Dawg Fight )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa0yYrDuf2s

A video of a full match from the same yard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ6P0...eature=related

PUP

M&P Shooter
09-14-2010, 19:08
The thugs take time to train.

Take and think a moment about how you in a match with them.

Backyard MMA ( Dawg Fight )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa0yYrDuf2s

A video of a full match from the same yard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ6P0...eature=related

PUPGreat now the BG's are MMA trained:rofl:

M&P Shooter
09-14-2010, 19:09
You know, I can't remember ever seeing a nail which had been properly driven into wood and wondering what sort of hammer had been used to put it there ...
Firearms with moving parts and hammers are in 2 different categories all together:dunno:

1canvas
09-14-2010, 19:35

this is exactly how i see it and pick my carry calibers/bullets. everyone relies on shot placement, but the reality is people are moveing, shooting, scared or mad. under those conditions i believe COM hits may be unlikely. as any SD caliber will do the trick if the shot is placed right but i want a round that will do the most damage for non COM hits also.