difference in scope prices? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : difference in scope prices?

jetdefiant
09-14-2010, 21:50
So i'm thinking about getting into long range shooting and I'm shopping around for scope and I see some range from $200 all the way to $1000+

My question is, what does a $1000+ scope do that a $200 scope doesnt?

Brucev
09-15-2010, 00:03
A $200 scope will do the same thing a $1,000 scope will do... for a while. Then you will start to have problems. If you are a very fine shot with a rock solid rifle you may diagnose the problems as a bum scope. Or you may end up chasing a lot of rabbits till you finally figure out your scope went sour. Quality optics cost real money. Do some research. Educate yourself. Don't try to buy something for nothing. Be realistic about what shooting you plan to be doing and then buy a quality scope that will help you achieve your objectives.

RayB
09-15-2010, 00:07
This comes up all the time, so fiddle with the search function to read those threads. There you'll get brand and model recommendations...

A magnification factor of 10X is at the upper end of hand-holdable for most people...

Fine optics are expensive, and good optics aren't cheap. But in the broad strokes, here are some of the things that come into play...

. Materials Used
. Overall Quality
. Aperture
. Optical Design: Dioptric/Catadioptric
. Primary Lens Design
. Eyepiece Lens Design
. Eye Relief
. Lens/Mirror Coatings
. Magnification: Zoom Ratio
. Internal Light Baffling
. Weatherproofing
. Focus Assembly
. Mount
. Carrying Case

True, some of this stuff will not be an issue if you're just spotting targets in good weather, in broad daylight. But subtle-sounding things like lens/mirror coatings and internal light baffling can be a BFD, depending on intended use!

A crappy mount will make an excellent scope perform like a POS!

Eye relief can be a BFD if you wear glasses!

--Ray

Glock22C
09-18-2010, 08:21
Here is what a $900 dollar scope can withstand and not lose its zero or get damaged...

This is from the CT SWAT Challenge this year, these guys used the Leupold CQT scopes.

Look at 1:30 in the video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbYqT0165Cc&feature=player_embedded

RottnJP
09-19-2010, 16:22
Light transmission is a biggie, too. First hunting rifle years ago, I made the rookie mistake of getting a cheap tasco scope. I'd bought an old Remington 721 from a friend for cheap, and I wasn't going to spend more than half the price of the rifle on the scope! :upeyes:

The friggin' crosshairs were a little cocked, right from the get-go, but I sucked it up. Held zero o.k. through regular handling. Then I get out in the woods, and realize as the sun starts to go down... I can't see F-all through the scope! I look at the brush moving with my eyeballs... Sure enough, it's dusk, but I can see just fine. Put the scope back up to see what's out there, and it's all a uniform dark gray... :steamed: Pack up and go home.

Now, all my optics are Leupold or Burris. I've got a Millett on the way, and I'm a little nervous- That's a 1x-4x illuminated that was only $200- We'll see how it is. I don't have the $$ for $1000+ glass, but it's also not the place to cheap out completely... I'm not real sure where the point of diminishing returns really is on hunting scopes, but I'm quite happy with Leupold's VX-II's, which are generally $300-$400. I start getting nervous about anything less than that.