papoose [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : papoose

jimbullet
09-15-2010, 12:41
I am thinking of purchasing a Marlin 22 Papoose. What attracts me to this little rifle is the ease of taking it down to make it shorter allowing me to bring it with ease due to size.

Does anyone have any comments about this rifle? I've been searching for reviews and it seems there isnt really much.

My concern would be accuracy given that the barrel is detachable and whether it is prone to breakage in that point between the barrel and receiver given the frequency of take downs.

Wp.22
09-15-2010, 16:19
Go to rimfirecentral check out the papoose there

isuzu
09-15-2010, 20:36
They say, it's a good rifle. Henry also upgraded their survival rifle:

http://henryrepeating.com/rifle-survival-ar7.cfm

You may also want to look at the Henry Lever Action (H001). I really enjoy this rifle. Very accurate, smooth lever action, and way cheaper than a Marlin 39A. It likes Remington Target Ammunition. My son has a Henry Mini-Bolt and he loves it, too.

BrassKnuckle
09-16-2010, 02:57
I don't think loss of zero would ba an issue with the iron sights as both front an rear sights are on the barrel. You might have to verify your zero on a scope as that is mounted on the receiver.

I'm also tempted to get one, but more because it will easily take a spare barrel with an integral silencer.

jimbullet
09-17-2010, 03:16
The survival AR7 is pretty cool. It would have been great for this rifle to be available. Its actually cheaper than the papoose.

Kaiser Soze
09-17-2010, 07:25
The AR7 has a really, really, REALLY crappy trigger. (Did I say it has a crappy trigger?)

The Papoose is nice, and comes in a waterproof case that floats! It's a nice kit gun :)

jimbullet
09-17-2010, 13:04
Thanks for the input. Sayang, they should have made the trigger better for the AR7. It would have been popular too given the neat way it is designed to be stored.

Kegs
09-17-2010, 13:19
I used to have a stainless steel papoose. I would not hesitate purchasing another one in a heartbeat. I think I would find a carbon steel one though if I wind up going that route (just because black blends better and stainless has to be wrapped or treated expensively to black) - and who knows, sometime I just might.

These are DEFINITELY well made little rifles. The only downside is that the forearm does not give much grip space. The stock is something to be desired, but for a small portable field rifle that will shoot 2" groups @ 100y with typical hunting ammo (CCI minimag HP), box-stock, it's going to be hard to find a better portable rifle - ESPECIALLY for the money!

Bottom line: The papoose is a good value - one of the most under rated firearms there is in my opinion. The only reason I sold the one I had is that I came to the conclusion that I wanted to downsize my material goods.

The iron sights on it are very good, though I don't care for the windage being adjusted by moving the front sight (they really should have made windage rear sight adjustable). The gun will WAY outshoot the sights, so if you want to see what kind of precision you can get with it - mount a scope on it. IIRC, the case will fit a scope mounted to the receiver.

I've also had a couple AR7s - I would never purchase one again. For one, like someone else said - the trigger DOES suck - as in horrible, and that will kill any decent level of precision to be squeezed out of a rifle. Second, the stock is just crap by design - it is hard for me to get my cheek close enough to the stock to see through the junky peep sights they have on the unit. I can appreciate a floating stock with an extra mag held inside - but seriously, as soon as you put it together it's no good to shoot. I would not want to attempt to survive using an AR7, that's for sure!