Side saddle problems [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Side saddle problems

JD HHI 6092
09-15-2010, 21:51
I tried to mount a side saddle on my 870 Express Synthetic 7-Round. After installing it, I can not slide the action back. I tried loosening the screws holding the side saddle with no luck. I remove it and it works perfect.
Anyone have any ideas what is happening or a suggestions?

nolt
09-15-2010, 21:55
some fore-ends and side saddles whack each other?
any of that going on?

does it come back any at all?

JD HHI 6092
09-15-2010, 22:07
does it come back any at all?

No. Something is keeping the action from moving.

aippi
09-16-2010, 00:00
Which brand of side saddle are you using? I have installed hundreds of Mesa Tactical ones on 870's without issue. Many years ago I had a tac-star and it was not an issue on an 870. I have heard of issues on some other models that have aluminum receivers but have never heard of this on an 870 so I am interested in hearing what guys post in with.

With the side saddle pins in but no saddle attached with the action come back? You said you removed it but did not say if the side saddle trigger pins were still in or the factory ones.

Tell us the brand and we will try and figure this out.

David Armstrong
09-16-2010, 09:53
Anyone have any ideas what is happening or a suggestions?
My suggestion is always get rid of the sidesaddle. I realize many others disagree with that, but outside of a few very narrow situations I just don't see much advantage for them for the typical gun owner.

JD HHI 6092
09-16-2010, 09:55
The side saddle is a Tacstar. I installed just the screws without the saddle and had the same problem, action will not pump. I had it mounted on my 1100 and had no problems.

Thanks!

Cruiser702
09-16-2010, 10:28
Here's a 4 shell Tac Star on an 870 Express. If you're trying to mount a 6 shell Tac Star sidesaddle on an 870 you'll have to modify (shorten) the OE forend.

http://www.fishkind.com/collection/images/870_03.jpg

Sorry, appears that you have a different issue. :)

JD HHI 6092
09-16-2010, 13:13
I finally got it working. I don't like the way the gun feels with it. I my stick with a belt holder of some sort.

aippi
09-16-2010, 13:42
Hey Top - go to www.mesatactical.com (http://www.mesatactical.com) and look at the Mesa shell holders. Dave has a point about any of these accessories on a weapon for certain applications but they can be useful in certain applications as well.

I have no idea why the action will not move on your 870. I should know as that is the weapon I make a living on but you got me with this one. I can't even venture a guess as a trigger pin is a trigger pin and these go through a steel bushing in the trigger plate assembly and have nothing to do with the action. You can not bind the steel receiver of an 870 as the base of trigger plate assembly would prevent that. I have some Tac-stars taken off some department rebuilds and even went out to the shop and tried to dupliate this on an 870. Can't. I am stummped.

So anyone who has had a simular issue please post in. I want to know the answer to this in case it comes up again.

I am going back out to the shop and try again. I hate not knowing something like this.

Jon Christopher
09-16-2010, 14:16
I had the same problem with a Mesa Scope Mount:

http://www.mesatactical.com/index.php?id=63

Read the second paragraph. I think the standoffs on mine were too short and the action was binding. I am not a gunsmith, so I am just guessing. Could have been my 1991 870. I will say this, it was a very high quality product that was well finished otherwise.

Jon

aippi
09-16-2010, 20:02
I give up. I can not duplicate the issue. Tried several used tac-star side saddles on three diffent weapons. Two 870 and an 11-87P.

Jon - I have installed hundreds of the Mesa ones on 870's and 11-87's and never and issue. Your Mesa had clean steel trigger pins and not the theaded onse like the tac-star. I don't think it matters since both simply pass through solid steel bushings and do not touch any part of the trigger plate assembly.

I will keep atune to the this issue as not being able to answer a question about a Remington does not sit well with me. When you're like me and only really know one thing well you tend to take that serious. So I am hoping to learn the cause of this from someone because I can't figure it out.

TexasNativeDRJH
09-16-2010, 23:36
My Mossberg got jammed up when the replacement ejector screw interfered with the bolt. I ended up having to grind the screw head down a little and it worked perfectly. I was using a Mesa Tactical saddle so YMMV

cdog533
09-18-2010, 23:21
My Mossberg got jammed up when the replacement ejector screw interfered with the bolt. I ended up having to grind the screw head down a little and it worked perfectly. I was using a Mesa Tactical saddle so YMMV

Mine rubs a little on a 590A1 but doesn't stop the action. Guess I should grind it down.

Kinda think OP has same issue.

Jon Christopher
09-19-2010, 17:04
The Mesa scope mount I have has the threaded pins. I have never seen the tacstar one.

Jon

swinokur
09-19-2010, 20:54
As mentioned, the fore end on the 870 Express hits the 6 shell Tacstar unless you cut out a piece of the fore end.

The 4 shell Tacstar fixes the issue. It's made specifically for this fore end.
I put one on my Express and it's perfect. Put a small drop of blue Loctite on the screws to keep them snug. Don't over tighten or the action can hang up.

KiloXray
09-21-2010, 20:53
Found this on the Mesa Tactical site, maybe it explains the problem the OP had.

"As an examole, the receiver on the Remington 870 can be temporarily, or permanently, damaged if a simple nut and bolt are used to replace the forward trigger group retaining pin. If that nut and bolt are over-tightened, the receiver can be deformed to a point where it blocks the pump action. In our design, we replace both retaining pins with stand-offs, which are the same length as the width of the receiver, and are tapped on each end. When screws are threaded into the stand-offs they cannot be over-tightened to a length that is less than the width of the receiver, and the receiver is thus protected."

KX