Mossberg 930SPX or Saiga 12? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 930SPX or Saiga 12?

DarkBlade1000RR
09-17-2010, 08:21
Trying to decide on which to throw my money at....I've done some searching already but haven't had really good luck in comparing these 2 together....so what would be the forums thoughts on these 2 beasts?

Ride5C2
09-17-2010, 09:20
I'm a 930 SPX owner, so not impartial, but I looked at both initially, here was my thought process:

Saiga:
- way cool, tactical factor
- lots of aftermarket and customization options (tromix, etc.,)
- highest capacity shotgun, I like the AK mag style
but:
- picky on ammo in many cases that I reviewed (wanted to do sporting clays + heavy loads)
- it was going to be like one of my AR projects, got expensive the cooler it became, if you know what I mean

930 SPX:
- cycles almost anything you give it, with no tuning, even low recoil target loads (8 1/2 walmart stuff)
- cheaper by far (and would artificially limit me from going crazy with mods)
- option to swap out 930 barrels for other lengths, etc.,

In summary, I still think the Saiga is more bad*****, but the 930 price point and reliability out of the box did it for me and I'm very happy with it so far (about 1.5-2 years). My pic below, mods are:
- limbsaver recoil pad
- NOB large bolt handle
- Mesa 6 round side-saddle
- Poly-choke
- wilson combat tube sling mount

DarkBlade1000RR
09-17-2010, 09:30
thank you for the review sir! That helps me out greatly! Would you recommend the regular stock grip or the pistol grip stock version?

mixflip
09-17-2010, 10:12
Well said Ride. I wanted a semi-auto shotgun and came to the same crossroads myself.

The saiga is very bad ***! But that effect wears off as soon as you realize many saigas have problems cyclinig the cheap low brass bulk birdshot ammo that makes shotgun plinking so much fun with a semi-auto in the first place. My opinion is, if I cant shoot the cheap stuff them why bother with semiauto?

While a detachable mag is freakin awesome in theory for lightning fast mag changes vs having to load one shot at a time in a traditional shotgun...shotshells have a plastic body that can deform over time when stacked in a magazine. The downside of plastic vs brass. Sometimes this can cause feed issues. Probably not an issue for a fun gun but a possible deal breaker for a self defense shotgun?

I found the 930SPX, I did my homework and it impressed me on many levels.

Here is my video review of my Mossberg 930SPX.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsGflzPXvQU

Range review...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9uNbc03UYI

DarkBlade1000RR
09-17-2010, 10:34
Hi mixflip..didn't know you were on this forum ..... (nice to see a good review from a fellow flip!) I watched your vid a few days ago...good information sir!

Do you recommend going w/ the full length pistol grip versus OEM stock version? Also I'm PM-ing you to see if this is a good price for the 930SPX..

F_G
09-17-2010, 10:41
Would you recommend the regular stock grip or the pistol grip stock version?I checked both before I bought my 930SPX and I went with the regular stock...why you ask? Because you have to shift your grip substantially when manipulating the tang mounted safety when the shotgun is equipped with the pistol grip. That was the deal breaker or maker as it were for me.

My 930 has been very reliable with the exception of the magazine spring issue I initially had, but it has since been resolved.

On to the Saiga. I don't have one personally, but have shot a freind of mine's extensively. 100% reliable when using full power loads, not so much with lighter loads. The tacticool factor with detachable magazines is very high, just not sure I'd want it sitting in the corner with a loaded magazine inserted and have a feed issue when I needed it most.

mixflip
09-17-2010, 12:08
Hi mixflip..didn't know you were on this forum ..... (nice to see a good review from a fellow flip!) I watched your vid a few days ago...good information sir!

Do you recommend going w/ the full length pistol grip versus OEM stock version? Also I'm PM-ing you to see if this is a good price for the 930SPX..

Yeah, I love this site. Its kind of a one stop shop here.

F G said it. The tang mounted safety is an issue with pistol grip setups. I actually wanted a standard stock when I went shopping for the 930SPX but they didnt have that option. As a matter of fact the 930 was extremely hard to find anywhere in Las Vegas in stock. Everybody had to order it except for 1 shop who had the pistol grip model. I scooped it up on the spot because it was the last one. I am an instant gratification kinda guy when it comes to guns lol! Waiting for guns drives me nuts.

I am happy with the pistol grip now that I have it. It does satisfy the tacticool mallninja in me.

baer_18837
09-18-2010, 19:50
i see alot of people are saying they heard the saiga has cycling problems. When i bought my saiga 12 ill admit i thought it sucked. it fte alot with low brass walmart ammo. i put 1 box of 3 inch double B threw it and it hasent jammed sence. then i converted it and it runs even better. if you buy one and it doesent work u can send it in for warrenty work as long as u havent converted it. plus i just bought 20 round md arm drums for it. im not bashing the 930 but i wouldent trade my saiga for the world. here is a pic. if anyone has questions im more than willing to help.

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx73/beer_18837/stuff/IMG_0096.jpg

DarkBlade1000RR
09-19-2010, 11:27
...what do you mean when you say "converted" it?

MedicOni
09-19-2010, 11:53
...what do you mean when you say "converted" it?

I htink he means from the original import stock form to the pistol gripped version

mixflip
09-19-2010, 12:41
Man that saiga is hung like a horse!

DD26
09-19-2010, 13:05
A lot of S12's do indeed come from the factory having problems with cycling low powered shells, like birdshot. You can do a couple things to correct this.

- Send it straight to CGW in Ohio, the exclusive warranty shop for Saigas in the US (they're also vendors on the Saiga forums). (Assuming you didn't jack around with it a lot yourself, beforehand)

- Run 100 or more rounds of high powered shells to get everything smoothed out and cycling the low powered stuff better.

- Do some grinding on the bolt yourself to smooth things up quicker. (Some companies offer this as a service. They can also be found on the Saiga forums)

- Enlarge the gas ports. (I'd go with the other solutions before I did this, personally)

Once they get past the picky stage, S12's are as reliable as any other AK platform weapon; super reliable. It's just a matter of if you want to deal with it up until that point.

I htink he means from the original import stock form to the pistol gripped version

Yup. S12's come into the country in "sporter" condition. No PG and the trigger is way far back on the receiver. A "conversion" is just moving the trigger forward to where it's supposed to be on the AK platform, and putting a PG on it. You can take a conversion as far or as near as possible. You can do your own for $135 for a basic conversion, or you can go all out and end spending a pretty penny.

mixflip
09-19-2010, 13:37
Wow thats alot of tuning you have to do? The OP asked which one 930SPX or Saiga? After reading that last post and the fact that you dont have to modify any ports on the 930SPX...my vote is still for the Mossberg.

In reality there is no right or wrong answer. Get what makes you happy regardless of its negatives.

DD26
09-19-2010, 13:54
Wow thats alot of tuning you have to do? The OP asked which one 930SPX or Saiga? After reading that last post and the fact that you dont have to modify any ports on the 930SPX...my vote is still for the Mossberg.

In reality there is no right or wrong answer. Get what makes you happy regardless of its negatives.

I should have made it clear that not all of those things are needed to get an S12 running reliably. I meant that those are some different individual options as possible solutions.

My personal experience is that after running about 100 rounds of buckshot, it cycled the birdshot just fine and is now 100% reliable. 100 rounds for a break-in is something I have no problem dealing with.

Like I said, it really comes down to whether or not you're willing to deal with the possible cycling problems in the beginning.

baer_18837
09-19-2010, 16:10
Man that saiga is hung like a horse!

and thats just a 10 round mag. surfire sells 12 rounders that seem alot bigger to me lol. like i said i just ordered 20 round drums. i will post pics when they get here. yes when you convert you have to move the trigger forward to its original home before all the importation bull****. replacing the trigger guard and the u can add a standard ak stock and pistol grip.
They will do the warrenty work for free so u dont have to mess with the gass ports. get it shoot it with high brass and then try 9 times out of 10 they are fine with bulk pack walmart ammo after they are broke in a little.

frankr
09-26-2010, 04:40
Get the 930 SPX half the price and it shoots everthing I feed it. Great gun.

DarkBlade1000RR
09-29-2010, 14:08
Well....after many hours of deliberation......I went w/.......BOTH!!! LOL!!! Can't wait to try out both semi-autos!!

KiloXray
09-29-2010, 14:39
Well....after many hours of deliberation......I went w/.......BOTH!!! LOL!!! Can't wait to try out both semi-autos!!

LMAO, Atta boy!

KX