American Ammunition Co. Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : American Ammunition Co. Question

Glock940
09-18-2010, 15:31
Ok I was about to purchase some American Ammunition Alpha Delayed Expansion 115gr. 9mm ammo today but know nothing about them...heck I never even heard of them. Can anyone throw some info on this 9mm round made by them my way? Ballistics? Expansion? Did a branch of the military use them? I was told they were but I want to know more then from just one person. Also was told they start expanding once they leave the barrel...any confirmation on this? They look very nice and look like they can be used as decoration instead of being shot lol.

teeuu
09-18-2010, 16:42
...Also was told they start expanding once they leave the barrel...

Gawd I hope not. That would take accuracy by the throat, throw it to the ground & stomp it into oblivion.

Glock940
09-18-2010, 21:31
Ok I found information on the company...Man did that take a LONG TIME to find lol. I couldn't find any info on the cartridge but once I looked for info on the company, I found stuff I did not want to hear about a company. Seems they make crap ammo and every thread and post were totally against this ammo because of thin casings, cause failure to eject or fire, damaging the firearm one way or the other. Some have even went kaboom! American Ammunition was petitioned or was in the process of filing for Chpt. 11. All the information was dated around 2003 / 2005 so I have no clue how they are today. Maybe a good thing I didn't buy this ammunition lol...but it does look pretty :supergrin: Looks like the whole cartridge was nickle plated even the bullet.

Merkavaboy
09-18-2010, 21:38
I remember A-Merc's ADE ammo about 15-20 years ago. Came in cans shaped like tuna or cat food cans, and the ammo used nickel plated brass and the bullets used a nickel plated full-length jacket.

Personally I wouldn't use the ADE ammo for SD as who knows who made the bullets. The brass was usually made by Starline.

A-Merc started to either manufacture ammo using Israel Military Industries' bullets and brass, or was importing IMI's ammo and boxing them with A-Merc and IMI logos on the boxes. I believe A-Merc is no longer in business.