CCW w/ Skirts [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CCW w/ Skirts

civileng
09-18-2010, 18:02
Hello ladies,

My wife has decided to get here permit here soon. While considering carry guns/ methods she was wondering how you carry when wearing skirts/dresses? She says most of hers don't have belt loops and would not support much weight even if they did. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Shoulder holster with cover garment? How well does that work?

Thanks for all the help.

Mr. Blandings
09-20-2010, 11:17
Hi civileng,

As a CCW instructor, one of the things I tell students is to get used to dressing around the gun. How much "dressing around the gun" is necessary is determined by such things as personal comfort (what feels right), size of firearm, level of concealment (just want to cover it up vs. don't want it found unless I'm strip-searched) and associated accessories (spare ammo, lights, other tools, etc.).

One type of product that I use regularly that may be useful in such a situation for your wife is an elastic belly-band type holster. I have a Gould & Goodrich "The Body Guard" belly-band that has served well for many years. I tend to wear it right at waistband level in the manner of an IWB holster (3:30 position) where it gains additional support from my trousers. I have also worn it to carry at the 12:30 position below the waistband as one would with a Smart-carry. Of course I have to choose a smaller, slimmer handgun for the 12:30 carry.

GALCO has also brought back the Thigh-Band Holster (http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPT3.asp?ProductID=2638&CatalogID=393) which also includes a support strap to hang from the waistband. Could be another option for her situation.

In the end, your wife will probably be like most CCW'ers and have "the holster box" with different solutions/options for different situations.

Hope this helps.

MrSmoofy
09-20-2010, 13:14
MY wife carries a 38 special in a CCW Purse, it has a pocket on the outside with a zipper and a lock. Inside it has a velcro strap to keep the gun in one place.

From some instructional videos on CCW for her she has practiced drawing from the purse and shooting threw it. For this practice we go to the fleamarket and buy some cheap purses since the CCW purse is not cheap.

PATRICE
09-26-2010, 09:49

ldmtulsa
09-26-2010, 17:10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkC5UxivyQQ

Maybe this will offer some suggestions.

PATRICE
09-26-2010, 17:59

Misty02
09-26-2010, 18:59
Hello ladies,

My wife has decided to get here permit here soon. While considering carry guns/ methods she was wondering how you carry when wearing skirts/dresses? She says most of hers don't have belt loops and would not support much weight even if they did. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Shoulder holster with cover garment? How well does that work?

Thanks for all the help.

As Mr. Blandings stated the belly band is an option, a fanny pack is another. Those are the two I use because I wasn’t as willing to change my entire wardrobe (none of my clothing has belt loops either). I carry a G19, not a small weapon for a woman so my choices may be less. If she carries something smaller (thinner) her choices may be more. There are some ladies that have opted for the SmartCarry. My son owns one, I didn’t like it for me.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
The shoulder holster may work, I’ve never tried it. I did, at the beginning, make up my own tight-fitting under shirt with carry pockets to hold a Nemesis (sp) holster at various positions. It was not practical for the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Florida</st1:place></st1:State> weather as that spandex undershirt served as a steam bath. At the level where it would have been similar to a shoulder holster I found it rather uncomfortable and extremely noticeable, the cover garment for us rarely drapes under the arms and it’s more fitting (even if unbuttoned).<o:p></o:p>
I hope she finds a way that works best for her. Good luck in your quest. :)<o:p></o:p>

ETA: It does require a certain amount of “I don’t care what other people think” to wear a skirt, heels and a fanny-pack. Her children may not even want to be seen with her until they get used to it either, they’ll get over it eventually. :supergrin:<o:p></o:p>
If she opts for a belly band, which will give her about the same carry benefits as the men that carry on their belt (position wise, not ability to reholster), a loose fitting shirt or blazer will be needed as a cover garment. I also carry my purse on that side when I use the belly band, I get the impression I can conceal that bump easier that way.<o:p></o:p>

Misty02
09-26-2010, 19:31
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkC5UxivyQQ

Maybe this will offer some suggestions.

That is a very good video, Idmtulsa. Thank you for posting it.

Reswob
09-30-2010, 22:45
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4GUcvbb364&feature=related

Misty02
10-01-2010, 17:09
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4GUcvbb364&feature=related

While that looks very good on the video, take a close look at the end of that barrel, now ask her to sit and after a few minutes ask her how her upper thigh feels. With the belly band if I position my gun just a fraction of an inch wrong, by the end of the day I’ll feel as if I had a bruise where that barrel was poking and we’re talking 4 o’clock of 3 o’clock. Three o’clock could be worse as the barrel would be poking on hip bone, 4 o’clock would hurt but at least it would be soft tissue and not bone. For the belly band I must find that perfect and exact spot between 3 and 4 o’clock where the barrel is not putting unbearable pressure anywhere.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I don’t believe the lady in that video will be able to sit for any period of time with the gun as she has it positioned.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>