Anyone have a Remington 1100 Tac-4? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Remington 1100 Tac-4?

Kalmah
09-18-2010, 18:59
Even though I already have a Mossberg 500 for home defense, the Remington 1100 Tac-4 has caught my eye. Does anyone have one? How do you like it?

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k105/schupo06/remington1100.jpg

Just wondering what the general consensus is on this shotgun. Is it a good one to buy, or a good one to stay away from? Is it sturdy and reliable, or is it prone to problems?

I've got an 1100 trap gun with thousands of rounds through it and it's still going strong, so I would imagine the Tac-4 would be just as trouble free. But, maybe that's not the case.

So, if anyone has any input, please chime in.

RenegadeGlocker
09-18-2010, 19:11
I built my own version, almost identical, decades ago. I really like 1100s, they have serve me well.

Kalmah
09-20-2010, 22:24
No one has any experience with the Tac-4?

Robalero
09-21-2010, 04:32
Mine is a Tac, but not a Tac 4, I absolutely love the darn thing. Beautiful gun, and IMO very little recoil. But word of advice, if you're going to keep this gun as a HD weapon, keep it clean, very clean.

Jon_R
09-21-2010, 07:07
The TAC-4 is on my list to get. I want it for 3-gun. Currently using a 590 most times. I have a 11/87 youth 20 gauge my kids use for 3-gun and it runs great.

Spiffums
09-21-2010, 09:00
I'm looking into building a 1100 into a HD gun. I just dont like the vent rib barrel on that model.

M1A Shooter
09-21-2010, 09:14
gribble has one that he modded with some wilson combat parts. maybe he will chime in.

i too have wanted one for a long time. depending on price locally, it would be pretty close between the Tac4 and a FN SLP

Kalmah
09-21-2010, 14:27
Mine is a Tac, but not a Tac 4, I absolutely love the darn thing. Beautiful gun, and IMO very little recoil. But word of advice, if you're going to keep this gun as a HD weapon, keep it clean, very clean.
Does it start jamming a bit if itís not clean?

Robalero
09-21-2010, 17:53
Kalmah,
Mine has NEVER jammed or misfed, not one single time. But as with all semi's, the only way you can improve your chances of it not jamming is to keep it clean, very clean. I have many Remi's in a semi platform, and if you do not keep them clean, they will jam or fail to feed. I've gone out dove hunting, fired thirty to fifty rounds, then not cleaned my gun, gone out the next day and it does jam. My 1100 Sporter does the same when I go out to the skeet range, it'll be good for one hundred rounds, but let the stuff sit for even one day, and it will jam on you the very next day. I will never risk having my 1100 Tactical which is my primary HD weapon not cleaned, ever.

Also, I take it out and shoot it at least once every two months, I fire the 8 rounds of buckshot then have fun with the dove loads. Take it home, clean it, oil it, wipe it down, load it up with a new load of buckshot, and its good to go. This is probably the main reason that most people here prefer an 870 or a pump action in any other make. They tend to be more reliable. But like I mentioned before, keep your gun clean, and it will take care of you.

Good Luck!

byf43
09-21-2010, 17:55
Even though I already have a Mossberg 500 for home defense, the Remington 1100 Tac-4 has caught my eye. Does anyone have one? How do you like it?

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k105/schupo06/remington1100.jpg

Just wondering what the general consensus is on this shotgun. Is it a good one to buy, or a good one to stay away from? Is it sturdy and reliable, or is it prone to problems?

Not a Tac-4, but a clone of the "Competition Master".
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a366/byf43/Shotgun%20pics/1100CMCloneII.jpg

I removed the Speedfeed III buttstock and put a conventional Speedfeed III stock on it. It just feels more natural, to me.

100% reliable.
Granted, this 1100 is a 1972 model, but, it was near perfect when I bought it.
Best $100.00 spent.

Here's the list of Remington parts from an online article used to build my "CM Clone".
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a366/byf43/1100CompetitionMasterclonepartslist.jpg

Be forewarned - two items to watch out for.
1. Shooting this scattergun is addictive!
2. When this scattergun is fully loaded, it is front-end HEAVY! That balance moves to the center as you empty that magazine!
(This is the biggest reason I put the SF III conventional stock on this 1100!)

Robalero
09-21-2010, 18:06
I'll second that, it is definately fun to shoot!

Jeff82
09-21-2010, 18:32
Not a Tac-4 but an 18" 1100 Tactical (earlier version of the Tac-2):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/Jeff82/Rem1100Tac.jpg

I love it. I use it for HD and 3-gun. Nary a problem. I clean it after every shoot, most I've ever shot with it before cleaning is about 125 rounds.

ramblinoak
09-21-2010, 18:52
i have a rem 1100 compitition master and i like it allot......

ramblin

PUNISHER56
09-23-2010, 18:55
When they first came out they were green. Frank James and I shot
one for an article for Shotgun News and it ran great. Great gun for
"ThreeGun".:thumbsup:

robinsok
09-27-2010, 17:59
Can anyone speak to the reliability of the Tac-2 and Tac-4 with birdshot. When i go out to shoot i will typically just shoot the cheap walmart birdshot for practice/fun.

I am really thinking about one of the Tac-4's, but it would be a big drawback if i can't use it with cheap shells.

Jeff82
09-28-2010, 13:59
Can anyone speak to the reliability of the Tac-2 and Tac-4 with birdshot. When i go out to shoot i will typically just shoot the cheap walmart birdshot for practice/fun.

I am really thinking about one of the Tac-4's, but it would be a big drawback if i can't use it with cheap shells.

The Tac guns are ported for heavy loads (game, buck, slug). They may not run on the powder puff club (trap/skeet) loads. My 1100 Tactical (forerunner to the TAC-2) wouldn't run on them when new. I buy 1300 fps, 1 1/8 oz or better loads and it runs great. An old shotgunner told me that after my sg gets well broken in that I should be able to run the cheap loads but I haven't tried it yet.

robinsok
09-28-2010, 15:44
The Tac guns are ported for heavy loads (game, buck, slug). They may not run on the powder puff club (trap/skeet) loads. My 1100 Tactical (forerunner to the TAC-2) wouldn't run on them when new. I buy 1300 fps, 1 1/8 oz or better loads and it runs great. An old shotgunner told me that after my sg gets well broken in that I should be able to run the cheap loads but I haven't tried it yet.

That is what i'm concerned about. Of course this gun would get duty as my bedside gun, but chances are its never used for anything there. It's main use is going to be shooting at the range and having some fun, and I hate to have to purchase the expensive stuff to go blasting with. Any experience on how many heavy loads it takes to get a gun broken in and able to run the lower powered stuff?

robinsok
11-29-2010, 21:49
Well i just ordered one, we'll see what it does when it gets here. Hopefully i have good luck with it, I'm hoping that i have the good luck that others have.