G17 and Dawson Adjustable Rear, .315 front [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : G17 and Dawson Adjustable Rear, .315 front

09-18-2010, 22:57
I'm an extremely infrequent poster, but thought I'd share my experience with these as I just installed them today. A friend and I installed the Dawson Precision adjustable rear sight and matching front fiber optic on my G17.

First, the quality of both appears decent. The front sight looks like a 'sail' on the slide, but when looking down the sights, you don't notice it. The rear base was quite a bit larger than the dovetail, and needed considerable filing. My friend had a Glock sight pusher along with two other larger universal pushers from Brownell's. The latter were useless with the adjustable sight. We finally discovered that reversing the direction of the sight pusher and direction of tightening and removing, along with taking the sight pusher apart, and putting it back together again only after the slide was inside it, was the only way to get it to work. It took considerable filing and fitting before we finall got it to fit, but it appears to be a solid install, and only a thousand rounds or so will tell.

Sighting in was the fun part. We paced off 30 feet and drew a circle about the size of a dime with a marker on a piece of cardboard. First shot from standing, two hand hold, was about 4 inches high and an inch or so left. Eight clicks down and 2 clicks right, and the next shot went into the dime size mark. The fiber optic front was bright, even with rain and total overcast rainy sky.

I tried the G17 in 3 holsters I purchased; two Safariland and an Uncle Mike's kydex. The sight is so tall that the Mike's and one of the Safariland will not work. It fits the other Safariland but I need to tweak the holsters position on the belt as this model is not very stiff. The pistol binds a bit on the draw. A decent holster might be a bigger challenge than the installation.

I'd easily recommend both front and rear sights, but be patient with the install and have some good files on hand.

RayB
09-19-2010, 03:36
Good review! :thumbsup:

I've go a set of DP FO Front & Adj Black Rear Sights on my G17 (a dedicated target gun) and love 'em! ;)

--Ray

kilroy2721
09-19-2010, 17:42
Look at the Bladetech holsters. Their front sight channels are pretty deep.

09-19-2010, 19:28
Look at the Bladetech holsters. Their front sight channels are pretty deep.

Will do. Thx.

G19aps
09-20-2010, 09:19
I put a Dawson adj rear and ameriglo tall front on my G20 but didn't have any issues. That front sight is tall, a sail just like you said!

09-20-2010, 21:48
My one Safariland holster will work, and I'll try it at this weeks local Steel Challenge. I really have to give this sight combination credit, as once they were centered on the slide, they were nearly dead on. That I can adjust for my handload to hit a dime at 30 feet is fantastic. I'll take a sail any day for that.

Will look into the Blade Tech and Cedar Ridge Saddlery (Liberty model) who still uses leather. Great one man shop.