PowerPoint Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : PowerPoint Question

dglockster
09-19-2010, 09:30
I use PowerPoint 2002 and when I use the program to open my PPt folder that contains 15 presentations, only 10 of the presentations appear. However, when I go the “My Computer” route and open the folder, all 15 presentations appear.

Thirteen of the 15 presentations were created by me using my PowerPoint 2002. I have no idea what version created the other two presentations but they are among the five that do not appear when I open the folder using PowerPoint 2002.

Any ideas about why the other five presentations do not open?

Thanks.

RottnJP
09-19-2010, 11:50
My first thought is created by a different version, or potentially saved as a different file type. Check and see what file type it's set to find. (There's a little pull-down field that is easily overlooked.) Next, check in windows explorer to see what extension is shown there. Do they match? (If they do, it may not mean they're the same version, but if they don't, that will be instructive. Might have been accidently saved as a template, for example.)

Another thing you can try is double-clicking in explorer on one of the files that doesn't show up in powerpoint. If the file is valid, not corrupted, it should open (perhaps after a slight delay while it converts it from an older format. If it tells you it can't open the file, the reason it gives you will be helpful.

Sgt. Schultz
09-19-2010, 13:34
What is the extension of the all the files in the folder?

dglockster
09-19-2010, 22:29
The extension on each of the files is ".ppt"

Double-clicking on each file in Explorer opens the file with no delay.

(There's a little pull-down field that is easily overlooked.)
Where is that little pull-down field located?

On Monday, I will have access to a different computer so I will copy the files to a thumb drive and see how many of the files can be opened on that computer via PowerPoint. That computer does, however, have a newer version of PowerPoint.

Sgt. Schultz
09-20-2010, 06:39
The extension on each of the files is ".ppt". If all the files are *.ppt then there is no reason you shouldn't be seeing them all. You can change how the file/open dialog box displays the files,they can be displayed as large icons, small icons, list, details etc ... If the box is to small to display all of the files look for a scroll bar, also you can re-size the box by dragging the edge.

Where is that little pull-down field located? Look for a little arrow at the end of the box that says file type.

dglockster
09-22-2010, 10:46
The files are in list view.

When I click on "My Computer" and follow the path to the folder that contains all 15 of the .ppt presentations, they all appear. However, as stated, when I open PowerPoint and then try to access the presentations only 10 of the 15 are accessible.

The size of the file/open dialog box is plenty large. Also when the "Files of Type" space at the bottom of the page is manipulated in any manner, only the same 10 presentations are shown.

I think I will open each presentation using the "My Computer" route and then do a "Save As" back to the designated folder and see if that causes all 15 to appear.

Thanks for your suggestions.