Is snake shot safe to shoot in a glock? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is snake shot safe to shoot in a glock?

kool aid
09-19-2010, 15:19
I carry my .38 snub with snake shot when i go hiking only. I have seen 2 rattlesnakes in the past two weeks and my dog almost got it both times. I would prefer to carry my Glock g-23 Is snake shot safe to shoot? I know the Taurus judge would be best but money is tight cant buy one until next year. Thanks for any help!

also if safe will the shot ammo feed correctly?

bobbman
09-19-2010, 15:21
Don't know about the Glock, but when I use it in mt Ruger Mark II it shoots OK but diesn't cycle.

AZBru88
09-19-2010, 15:22
Stay with your 38 snubby. Snake shot doesn't cycle or feed in auto pistols.

kool aid
09-19-2010, 15:33
http://www.cabelas.com/p-0003708210838a.shtml
Even the type made for auto pistols?

AZBru88
09-19-2010, 15:59
I might load one in the chamber, but the plastic I don't think will last under recoil well. I've shot a lot of the snake shot in my 44 mag revolvers had the plastic crack from full house loads recoil. So I kept the 44 loaded with snake shot and a speed loader with full house after that. I would hate to have that shot flowing around the inside of my mag and mag well if it broke. But its up to you try it see if it works????? Best of luck, I've never tried it in a auto pistol. Other then a 22 which was old brass crimped bird shot.

elde
09-19-2010, 16:01
Listen to what Bru said: snake shot does not reliably cycle in automatic pistols. Take that to the bank no matter what the manufacturer says. After 20 years of carrying in snake country I can testify that this is a fact.

MetalSlugIV
09-19-2010, 16:10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6ty4pLJfT0

tnoutdoors9 takes those CCI 9mm shot shells and shows that they will not cycle in an auto pistol.

deeHKman
09-19-2010, 17:51
A few years back i had copperheads around so i put some
snake-shot in my .45> The second shot i used some how a couple
shot locked up my .45 ...no more of that in any semi.'s stick with it
in revolvers...David

Mr. Gekko
09-19-2010, 19:27
I will only use it in a revolver for the same reasons noted above.

CanyonMan
09-19-2010, 21:12
We got more rattlers on this ranch than any ranch in our co. Been shootin these buzz tails since I was a tadpole. The CCI shotshells do not work well in semi auto's. Won't hurt the gun at all, but they feed lousy ! The 45acp is close to being not to bad with them, but still NOT good enough IMO. AS some have said, "stick with your 38 amigo." At least you'll keep you hound safe. ;)

If ya just got to carry a semi auto in the woods, then just load up and point and start shootin. I've done this a cajillion times. Dead snake. Great for point and spray, but let me remind you they could cause ya some greif if you are in a place where a richochet could cause ya problems. (like cattle/livestock/folks) anywhere around. Bottline line: The CCI's in your snubbie would be the best bet, and for most folks, the safest.

Good luck.

CM

GRR
09-19-2010, 21:35
I've killed two snakes on my place with CCI shot shells in my G23. Cycled fine. Try a few in your semi auto before you write them off.

CanyonMan
09-19-2010, 21:42
I've killed two snakes on my place with CCI shot shells in my G23. Cycled fine. Try a few in your semi auto before you write them off.

I agree with ya, except for one thing. They may, maybe, might work great with a mag full (don't think they will though) but since in most all cases they ARE very unreliable and inconsistant in most semi's, testing a few and they seem fine, and then having Mr. buzz tail fixin to strike ya and "Uh oh", they are jamming on me, would not be a good time to learn they usually are very inconsistamt. ! ;)

CM

GRR
09-19-2010, 21:52
I agree with ya, except for one thing. They may, maybe, might work great with a mag full (don't think they will though) but since in most all cases they ARE very unreliable and inconsistant in most semi's, testing a few and they seem fine, and then having Mr. buzz tail fixin to strike ya and "Uh oh", they are jamming on me, would not be a good time to learn they usually are very inconsistamt. ! ;)

CM

Well, I certainly didn't stand there and try to out draw the snakes I got. First thing thing I did was to get the hell away from them. If you're in striking distance with your pistol in your holster and you continue to aggrevate the snake, you're probably bit. Oh, and it didn't take a mag full. One shot each was enough.

DPris
09-20-2010, 00:01
They do work well in some autos, but I couldn't get them to cycle in my 17.
Kept busting the shot capsule & dribbling pellets inside the action. Fed singly, they didn't cycle the action.

Worked perfectly in a Smith 4516 & a Ruger P94.

Denis

kool aid
09-20-2010, 04:49
Thanks for the info! I will be sticking with my .38 until i have some cash to buy a judge.

stumpjumper
09-20-2010, 04:55
From my experience, they don't always cycle. I read an article that the 38 and 44 had the best "pattern" and that the manufacture-CCI didn't recommend them in autos.

Adjuster
09-20-2010, 05:13
The very ones you linked to will not cycle my G26. Tried at the range and no go. Why get the Judge if you have the .38? You are all set with the .38 shot shells.

AZBru88
09-20-2010, 06:44
Heck I'd be hiking with both guns...snubby with snake shot in the front or back pocket and 23 with some good JHP IWB for coyotes...2 or 4 legged! But I live where theres lots of coyotes!

DPris
09-20-2010, 10:23
Speer makes them in .45 Auto & .40 S&W, besides 9mm, so I'd think they'd intend for them to be used in autos.
It's just a matter of finding an auto that'll function with them.

My 4516 ran perfectly, the Colt I also tried them in jammed on extraction.
Ruger P94 ran perfectly, Glock no, as mentioned.

Individual pistol designs (feedramps & recoil spring strengths) create a Yes or No situation.

The S&W .38 snub in the testing I did years ago patterned better than longer barrels.
The two primary differences you'll see between it & a Judge is the Judge will be much larger & bulkier, and it'll use a bigger shot charge.
Snakeshot is the only real reason for owning the Judge, in my opinion, and there it shines, but it's huge compared to the .38.

Denis

abq87120
09-20-2010, 12:50
CCI shot shells shoot and cycle just fine in my G26.

Dan in ABQ

glock2740
09-20-2010, 13:46
Listen to what Bru said: snake shot does not reliably cycle in automatic pistols. Take that to the bank no matter what the manufacturer says. After 20 years of carrying in snake country I can testify that this is a fact.
I carry the CCI shotshell ammo in my G26, G27, G19 and G23 all the time in the summer, when fishing ponds. Never a jam in any of the 4 different guns. And I've shot quite a bit of the stuff. I haven't tried it in any other autos, but it runs like clockwork through my Glocks that I have used it in.

catchthis45
09-20-2010, 15:16
yes, light recoil and easy on the gun.

Zane Zackerly
09-20-2010, 20:14
Since you're not supposed to shoot unjacketed lead bullets in your Glock, does anybody have a concern that unjacketed shot pellets might be leaving deposits in your bore?

This was a question I always asked myself when loading snake shot in the mags.

BTW, I decided after using it on rattlers for a couple of years that the snake shot is puny compared to .410 from a different firearm. I've dropped snake shot as an option at this point.

Jim
09-20-2010, 20:36
Several years ago, i shot a medium sized snapping turtle in the head (sticking out of his shell) with the speer .38 shot loads in a snubbie, from about 4 feet.

It gave him a bad case of acne and really pissed him off, but nothing fatal. Second shot was a JHP and that did the job.

Not sure if this is typical.

Glolt20-91
09-21-2010, 13:27
We got more rattlers on this ranch than any ranch in our co. Been shootin these buzz tails since I was a tadpole. The CCI shotshells do not work well in semi auto's. Won't hurt the gun at all, but they feed lousy ! The 45acp is close to being not to bad with them, but still NOT good enough IMO. AS some have said, "stick with your 38 amigo." At least you'll keep you hound safe.

If ya just got to carry a semi auto in the woods, then just load up and point and start shootin. I've done this a cajillion times. Dead snake. Great for point and spray, but let me remind you they could cause ya some greif if you are in a place where a richochet could cause ya problems. (like cattle/livestock/folks) anywhere around. Bottline line: The CCI's in your snubbie would be the best bet, and for most folks, the safest.

Good luck.

CM

I no longer carry snake shot, it may or may not work. One Diamondback (bit the dawg twice, took 3 hits of .357mag CCI snakeshot up close, w/i 4ft, it was stunned for several moments, but started slithering again. A 125gr SJHP behind its head stopped the problem.

When I see rattlers, I take steps toward them and then point shoot behind their heads, one shot one kill.

Just because a rattler doesn't have a head doesn't mean it's dead, as you probably know. One Mojave rattler, the badazz aggressive type, had its heart still beating after its head had been shot off. Have pics of this, the eery thing is this headless snake was able to follow my hand, about a foot away.

Having been bit from behind by a Mojave, I just shoot rattlers on sight. For fun, looking for rattlers at night with a flashlight will keep the juices flowing if one gets bored watching TV. :supergrin:

This is the head of the Diamondback that bit the dog I was tending, we were working at the pump house, late October. Head is facing right with tongue sticking out;

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o144/aztrekker/Ranch/Ambush007.jpg

The only way to tell a Mojave (venom attacks both the blood and nervous system) from a DB is the DB has smaller scales between its eyes.

The same 3ft DB, ready for ambush, was in this clump of grass next to the drip irrigation line when this pic was taken;

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o144/aztrekker/Ranch/Ambush012.jpg

Came across this jackrabbit out back, bit by a rattler after Thanksgiving time; swelling is typical, bite marks visible;

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o144/aztrekker/Ranch/Wildoutback009.jpg

Another DB, a couple of weeks before the above DB, was in grass laying in ambush; took a couple of steps toward it, head shot wasn't viable as it was moving fast. Guesstimated 1/3 of the way behind the head and took a heart shot, 1 shot 1 kill;

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o144/aztrekker/Ranch/Diamondbackblacktailmarking01510.jpg

There's a part of the property I call Rattlesnake Alley for a reason. At snake shooting distances I wouldn't trust any autoloader, or revolver, with snake shot to kill a rattler.

Bob

AZBru88
09-21-2010, 15:04
I love when the headless ones strike you a 1/2 hour after you've taken their heads off! I just never get used to that! I know they have no heads, but it still scares the crap out of me!:supergrin:

CanyonMan
09-21-2010, 16:22
I no longer carry snake shot, it may or may not work. One Diamondback (bit the dawg twice, took 3 hits of .357mag CCI snakeshot up close, w/i 4ft, it was stunned for several moments, but started slithering again. A 125gr SJHP behind its head stopped the problem. Bob

Hey there my friend.

I agree on the bullets for snakes:

But for the sake of the conversation on this thread with semi auto verses revolvers verses folks that MAY panic and be using bullets instead of SS....

I'll kinda drop this in

I suggested the 38 to the guy in his post, 'over his semi-auto,' because it appeared to me at least that is all he had, and I would not trust the semi auto at all no matter who had good luck with it. The SA WILL fail sooner (more likely ) than later, so between the 2 if thats all he has, I would keep hold of the 38. We have killed a ton of snakes and big ones, out here with a 357mag and CCI shot shells.

Mostly I always have on, as you know, a 44mag or 45LC Ruger hog leg, and with at least one snake shot in it.

I usually just shoot them with my regular bullet loads as you mentioned you did. Point and fire, and dead snake. But I hesitate suggesting that to folks in general, because you and I live in the middle of no where and most folks do not. It concerns me for folks to use standard ammo (as they have on our ranch many times in the past) and have richochets with cattle and other live stock around, or ME around ! haha.

So yes, I rather use my regualr ammo, and do, but in most areas not with the land scape of the moon like out here, I would sugest the snake shot in minimum of 357mag. It has always worked fine for us with the SS loads, as I said, even out of the SP101 even when we lend it to folks who vist here, so they don't freak out and spray richocheting bullets every where. haha.

Like me, I am sure you been doing this all your life and don't panic, and know how remain cool and get shots off. Most folks in our experience that have come out here to vist, freak out, and would spray regular ammo Lord knows where ! haha. Thus SS being the safer bet, and still kills the snakes. Even the 5 foot + jobs if ya pump several in the head.

We got a few snakes on the place: haha

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/GT%20stuff/cid_001c01c9efb9b3144c906564a8c0Northwest2.jpg

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/GT%20stuff/IMG_0052.jpg

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/GT%20stuff/IMG_00204444.jpg

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/GT%20stuff/ATT6.jpg

Some times they end up here for chow time with all the boys:

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/GT%20stuff/IMG_00702.jpg

Taste just like long skinny chicken ! haha

Stay safe amigo

CanyonMan

Glolt20-91
09-22-2010, 00:57
I love when the headless ones strike you a 1/2 hour after you've taken their heads off! I just never get used to that! I know they have no heads, but it still scares the crap out of me!

Yeah, and the venom is toxic for 5 years. After being bit, I don't even like touching the slithery vermin, let alone skin them for a hat band. Seeing a rattler close up is enough to get my heart beating very fast, sometimes it turns out to be a gopher snake, but the heart is still beating fast.

Some time back, a friend and I were trying to find survey markers on a 1/2 section and full section of land. He thought he had found a marker next to a creosote bush, turned out to be an aggressive Mojave. He backed up as fast as he could while firing his .40 and the fast moving Mojave chased after him, despite being gut shot; his last round finally hit in back of the Mojave's head.

We came back 2 hours later, he was going to cook up the Mojave for his boys to eat; that's when we noticed that its heart was still beating, plus it was moving while on the tailgate of his pickup.

Gopher snakes look and can sound like rattlers, but their heads are slender shaped; they also lie in wait to ambush their prey. This gopher snake is in an active rattler area outback;

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o144/aztrekker/Ranch/Gophersnake5-25-09019.jpg

Gopher snakes, bobcats and hawks will actively kill rattlers;

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o144/aztrekker/Ranch/Gophersnake5-25-2009.jpg

I've seen more than one hawk swoop down and fly off with a rattler in its talons, nice birdies. :supergrin:

CM, I have CCI .44mag snakeshot, but I move close enough to the rattler so that I'm shooting at a steep downward angle. The first shot typically kicks up a lot of dust, so target acquisition is lost if you miss. Continue shooting into the dust and if you see a chunk of rattler flying into the air about 10ft high, then the problem has been resolved.

If you see one rattler, chances are there's a second or third one close by, so double carry as AZBru wrote is almost a necessity.

Javelina and wild dog packs are enough of a threat is these parts to preclude carrying snake shot in pistols; this is also the time of the year when mountain lions come down from the mountains.

This big kittie foot print over my size 11 hiking boot print got my attention really quick; prime time carry for the .38Super or .357mag.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o144/aztrekker/Ranch/Mountainlionprintoverhikingboot10-2.jpg

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o144/aztrekker/Ranch/Mountainliontrack.jpg

I guess what I'm saying in a long winded manner is, there can be other threats besides rattlers and if a pistol jams up firing snake shot on 2 or 4-legged vermin; then you can find yourself in a world of hurt.

Bob

AZBru88
09-22-2010, 03:13
Bob I shot a Mojave out one trip with my wife. Chopped the head off and buried it, tossed the snake in a plastic Circle K bag, tided it shut! About two miles down the dirt two track my wife was beating me on the arm. The headless snake had crawled out of the bag and was coming up toward the front seats of my Blazer!:rofl:My wife almost beat me to death before I could get pulled over and skin that snake!
Ya I'm with you love those gopher snakes.
My renter got hit by a baby rattler about 3 years ago clearing weeds out of her garden. Didn't know it until 3 hours later when her hand and arm swelled up. She had trouble for 2+ years afterwards. Had to do 3 days in the hospital and lots of shots.
Nice size kitty track!
I got to watch a pair of golden eagles one time share a rattler. Came around a corner and they where sitting on the ground, eating him up! Man can they chop up a snake in a hurry.

CanyonMan
09-22-2010, 10:53
CM, I have CCI .44mag snakeshot, but I move close enough to the rattler so that I'm shooting at a steep downward angle. The first shot typically kicks up a lot of dust, so target acquisition is lost if you miss. Continue shooting into the dust and if you see a chunk of rattler flying into the air about 10ft high, then the problem has been resolved.

You ain't supposed to miss amigo ! haha.

Like I said in my post above. I carry one 44mag SS round in my Ruger hog leg and the other 5 are my cast bullets for lions or whatever else two or four legs out here may need taken care of.

Usually the first SS round does the trick, but sometimes i need a bullet. :supergrin: In the 45LC it is all bullets usually. I never carry SS in a semi auto. and we limit "minimum" SS loads to 357Mag (mostly a vistor gun). Average shot is about 5 feet with the SS.

Off horse back, or whatever with the 'bullets', range ain't a factor much. We just make sure it is as you say, a "downward angle" with the 'bullets', as to hopefully cut out any richochet problems.

Just don't trust "visitors" not accustomed to the place here with bullets, if their going for a small stroll they get the 357mag and SS. They will be safe enough on a small walk and not need bullets for anything. BUT, If they want to go on a 'tour' then one of us goes with them, "and with bullets" while they got snake shot.

I tell ya those 300gr hard cast will slice and dice one of these old boys up for ya. :rofl:

Fun watching the hawks catch these guys.

WE had one old boy from the big city come out here to get some R&R, and we were with him, (as we were deep back into the place). Well A big rattler rubbed right up against the side of my boot as he slithered along going into a cactus clump and the visitor freaked out ! (thats why they only get snake shot) haha, he yelled, and then my son calmly said, "dad, a big one just slithered along the side of your boot...' I looked down and saw the last few inches of his tail as he went into the cactus rise. My son and I stuck our hands down in there and unloaded two guns on him, sounded like Dodge City on saturday night. Pulled him out all torn up, and he still rapped around my arm. The vistor about wet his britches ! :rofl:

We have alot of fun out here with visitors ! Mean ain't it ! haha.

Stay Safe !

CanyonMan