Where to find late summer/early fall bass? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Where to find late summer/early fall bass?

Dennis in MA
09-20-2010, 07:55
I'm a shallows guy. My whole fishing career was shore-fishing, so I was sorta forced into it.

This year was the first year I had a boat. And up until about July 15, I was hauling in some serious fish. Post spawn until the heat really hit, the bass were in the reeds.

About mid-July, the herring fry hatch and the water temp goes up. Bass feed in this lake for about a month or so on herring and it's a bear to get them to take anything until after the fry head downstream to the ocean.

Today? The herring left a month ago. I find one or two bass sometimes. Lots of perch in those same habitats I was fishing in the spring and early summer.

It seems the water should be cool enough for them to head in to the shallows. Something is keeping them out. I'm not sure if it's another food source or what.

I'm working on a fish finder for X-mas, just to find the contours of this lake for summer fishing. I know there is a channel from the inflow to the outflow. But other structure will likely hold bass as well.

Looking for some experience of September bass haunts for the Northern states. Anyone have some advice?

Thanks!

Big Bird
09-20-2010, 09:51
Dennis,
Late summer bass are found in what the pro's call ABC.

Aquatic Vegetation
Bridge Structures
Current

Late season bass go deep to mid depth to get some shade, oxygen and stay out of the heat. They tend to be lethargic (don't we all in hot weather?).

Fishing soft plastics slowly often is the trick.

Also, I can recommend the Humminbird Pirahna for about $99 at Bass Pro. You will have to spend $300 or more to get a depthfinder with more functionality and if you break the Pirahna its no big deal to replace it! The depthfinders that go for around $200 or so aren't any better--they might be color or something else but they all still are basic fish finders. Get the $99 Humminbird and save your dough.

Dennis in MA
09-21-2010, 08:09
I'll give it a whirl. There are a few spots I know of already that I didn't try this past week but will hit on Thursday.

Finding the drop-offs for the old riverbed channel will be key. I'll give the $99 Piranha a try. Thx.

bustedknee
09-27-2010, 17:33
The DF in my bow went out. Which model # are you using?

Dennis in MA
09-27-2010, 17:41
$99 gets you the Piranhamax 170.

bustedknee
09-28-2010, 18:45
I could not find one local so I ordered one. Thanks for the recommendation,
Big Bird.
Thanks for the thread and info, Dennis.