Opinions please [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please

Kasota
09-20-2010, 09:09
For occasional carry in rough country in case of bear or big cat should I go with 10mm or can I get enough penetration with 357 sig cartridge and skip tough recloil issues?

AZBru88
09-20-2010, 09:23
I like the 10mm, with the Glock recoil is mild! Of course carry a good penetrating bullet. Buffalo Bore makes some great rounds for a 10mm.

I say mild because I'm used to shooting full house 44 mag rounds, so to me a full house 10mm feels very light. Plus Glock slide is heavier then in a 9mm, 40cal. really tames the felt recoil.

Personally for bear I'd move up to 44 mag., but lots of guys carry 10mm's.

Nakanokalronin
09-20-2010, 09:52
Since being somewhat new to Glocks I've been told time and again by seasoned Glock owners that if I ever shot a 10mm Glock , I'd be done....meaning totally a Glock-o-holic. :cool: I don't care to add another caliber to my already huge list of calibers I own and have no use for one. Having said that, if I did live in bear country and wanted to use a Glock, it would defiantly be 10mm. If bears where a frequent sighting in your area though I would get a 44mag revolver and carry the 10mm Glock as a BUG for quick follow-up shots.

Thunderbolt56
09-20-2010, 09:59
If I'm in true bear country, I carry a S&W M29 4" barrel .44 mag wheel gun (I've only carried in earnest twice). Otherwise, my trail/pack gun is a stainless S&W 681-3 .357 mag.

If I HAD to choose from your choices, I'd go with the 10mm. You're not talking about stopping a threat on a soft-skinned, small-boned human. If you've got to defend your life from a real bear threat, I'd not recommend a Glock.

BamaTrooper
09-20-2010, 11:42
Sounds like you should take your frame and install a 50GI upper :tongueout:

green marauder
09-20-2010, 12:31
Pennsylvania State Game Commission Issue Glock 31 .357sig

Flipz
09-20-2010, 12:35
Id lean more towards the 10mm for bear country.

abq87120
09-20-2010, 12:48
44 mag - JSP

hardcorp
09-20-2010, 12:57
Doesn't matter just as long as you can run faster than the person you are with.:whistling:

You should be fine with ether one you choose.

Sonnytoo
09-20-2010, 13:35
Pennsylvania State Game Commission Issue Glock 31 .357sig

Unless the decision was made by a 30-yr employee who's also an experienced deer and bear hunter, I am negatively impressed. Meaningless. They shopped for price; they know nothing; most of them are 23-year-old females with a degree in Sociology and a PETA button.
Sonnyto

Sonnytoo
09-20-2010, 13:38
No contest. .357Sig is fine for humans, definitely not for bears. The bear might die of indigestion after eating you. You need a heavy, hard bullet that will penetrate and break bone; not a bullet that expands in tissue.
Sonnytoo

tuica
09-20-2010, 13:44
10 mm only. .357 Sig. not heavy enough for deep penetration. Good Luck.

AK74play
09-20-2010, 15:14
10 mm only. .357 Sig. not heavy enough for deep penetration. Good Luck.
I have in my posession a sheet of kevlar board that is used to line the benches in the local courthouse to protect the judge in all his glory, (LOL) anyway after testing everything from a 22 to a 44mag, in this stuff. The 357 sig FMJ standard 124gr, is the only thing short of a .223 that will even begin to show on the other side and from my G31 at 15 ft, will actually start to open up the other side. Now to think for a minute that it wont penatrate and break the bone of a bear is absolutely impossible for me to beleive. All rounds tested were fmj because I was testing for penatration and you wont get near as much from a soft point or hollow point in any cartrideg compaired to the same thing in fmj. By the way, the .223 blew through it like it wasn't even there so I didn't go to my 7.62x39. Just didn't really seem necessary..

GunFighter45ACP
09-20-2010, 15:41
If you don't own either pistol/caliber mentioned, then I'd just buy a 44mag or higher caliber, instead.

If you want more out of the gun than just an occasional carry when out & about in the woods, then go for the Glock 20/10mm.

Fulton 722
09-20-2010, 16:28
Unless the decision was made by a 30-yr employee who's also an experienced deer and bear hunter, I am negatively impressed. Meaningless. They shopped for price; they know nothing; most of them are 23-year-old females with a degree in Sociology and a PETA button.
Sonnyto

Your statement shows that you know absolutely nothing about the PGC. Price was the least important element in the selection of a new handgun. Of the entire contingent of PGC WCOs, only about a half dozen are female, and all are well trained and far from PETA supporters. The decision to go with the 357 Sig was made in Harrisburg, where NO female WCOs are assigned.

bustedknee
09-20-2010, 17:46
For occasional carry in rough country in case of bear or big cat should I go with 10mm or can I get enough penetration with 357 sig cartridge and skip tough recloil issues?

Factory ammo -- 357Sig

Handloads -- 10mm

gunsmoke92
09-20-2010, 20:25
Go 10mm. Although penetration is important, energy transfer is what shocks their system into shutting down. My personal choice for the boondocks would be a hot .45 LC with hardcast blunt lead, but you can't do that with a Glock.

Being a loyal Glock guy is one thing, carrying the proper gun for the job at hand is just good sense. My 2 cents.:whistling:

Alphonso
09-20-2010, 21:54
I love bear threads...

Slug71
09-20-2010, 21:56
Since its only for occasional carry and theyre probably(havent shot either) both equally loud with as much recoil and muzzle flash and both on the pricey side as far as ammo goes.... I'd go 10mm.

Cineski
09-20-2010, 22:13
10mm w/ DT 200 grain WFNGC Hardcast 50rds. That is a hella hot load.

Roering
09-21-2010, 17:10
A 10mm should stop a Bear, unless of course we are talking about Ditka.

"Da Bears"

Zombie Steve
09-21-2010, 18:02
Just my humble opinion living and hiking in the Colorado Rockies for the last 10 years - you'll want a heavier bullet (and in a perfect world, a bigger meplat) than the .357 sig can deliver. I carry a 4" .357 mag in the mountains here with a 158 grain XTP - if I had a longer barrel I'd go 180's. I certainly am not a .357 Sig expert, but from what I've seen 147 grain is about the top end. Impressive round for 2-legged varmints, but what you're talking about is a different game altogether.

As a side note, humans are still my biggest concern in the mountains. Bears and cougars fall somewhere behind dehydration, lightning, spraining an ankle, storms rolling in on me without me seeing (a hazard of the eastern slope) and hypothermia.

Zombie Steve
09-21-2010, 18:08
Sorry to be so long in the tooth. I've also carried a 5.5" Blackhawk in .45 Colt with some semi-nuclear handloads and a 6.5" 629 Smith in the mountains, but the size of the gun was an issue on foot when I'm sucking wind at 11,000 feet. I now have a 4" 629 / .44 mag that I'll try, but I can't honestly give an opinion on it yet.

So far, the 4" Smith 686 in .357 mag is my go-to sidearm. I'd have no problem with the 10mm as a woods cartridge here. Brown bear territory - I'd say .44 mag minimum.

happyguy
09-21-2010, 19:54

What kind of bear? There's a big difference between a 250 pound black bear and a 900 pound grizzly.

NonPCnraRN
09-22-2010, 02:23
Go 10mm. Although penetration is important, energy transfer is what shocks their system into shutting down. My personal choice for the boondocks would be a hot .45 LC with hardcast blunt lead, but you can't do that with a Glock.

Being a loyal Glock guy is one thing, carrying the proper gun for the job at hand is just good sense. My 2 cents.:whistling:

For bear I'd use a full sized Glock 10mm with an aftermarket barrel and Double Tap 230 gr WFNGC hardcast bullets. They have a BHN of 21 so they should break bone and keep going. They have a 80% meplat to caliber ratio of .32 inches. If you don't like the DT ammo, they sell the bullets separately so you can roll your own. The aftermarket barrel is necessary as there have been reports of the Glock factory barrel not stabilizing the heavy hardcast bullets in the DT ammo. Of course if you can smell the bear's breath then accuracy won't be an issue. I'd like to put the bear down before it gets that close so accuracy is imperative.

BleedNOrange
09-24-2010, 12:42
Considering most 10mm ammo is watered down junk I'd go with the 357 sig. If you plan on reloading or only ordering from the net the 10mm might be only marginally better. Basically what it boils down to is I'd hate to depend on either for my bear defense.

fredj338
09-24-2010, 12:54
I have in my posession a sheet of kevlar board that is used to line the benches in the local courthouse to protect the judge in all his glory, (LOL) anyway after testing everything from a 22 to a 44mag, in this stuff. The 357 sig FMJ standard 124gr, is the only thing short of a .223 that will even begin to show on the other side and from my G31 at 15 ft, will actually start to open up the other side. Now to think for a minute that it wont penatrate and break the bone of a bear is absolutely impossible for me to beleive. All rounds tested were fmj because I was testing for penatration and you wont get near as much from a soft point or hollow point in any cartrideg compaired to the same thing in fmj. By the way, the .223 blew through it like it wasn't even there so I didn't go to my 7.62x39. Just didn't really seem necessary..
Penetration of hard barrier & thick muscle & bone are two diff things. I can shoot thru 1/4 steel plate w/ most 223 loads, but they will not get to vitals on a med size, thick skinned, heavy muscled animal.:upeyes:
You are very unlikely to run into a bear of any size unless you are packing meat. A 10mm isn't bear medicine but would be my choice of the two. Mountain lions are thin skinned, light boned & muscled, a 357sig would be fine w/ bonded ammo. For serious bear protection, that starts @ the 41mag & goes up. You aren't going to get the time to hose down the bear w/ multiple rounds. You don't get to shoot the bear just because it is there. It's gonna have to be almost on top of you before yo uget to justify shooting, especially grizzly in the llower 48. So you want 1st round impact power & penetration & a 10mm is still a service round, even loded hot.

CanyonMan
09-24-2010, 14:14
From West Texas here on the ranch, to Oklahoma; N.M; Colo., and Wy; and MT. This goes with me, loaded with these....

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/GT%20stuff/03_9-1.jpg

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/GT%20stuff/0621000934a.jpg

I have never worried about attacks from critters. But, knowing they can happen, I am well armed. Especially when ya got a string of horses and mules and food with ya. The longer cartridge on the belt is for the Marlin 45-70 lever gun in the saddle scabbard loaded with 405gr Hard Cast, (several more on the belt not shown) and the 45LC hog leg gets 300gr / 335gr Hard Cast.

The Gocks stay home ! Only exception is that over the years, now that I've owned G20's, I will throw one with several high cap mags in a saddle bag in case of some strange bandito's that may try to steal my stuff, and I happened to need a "bunch of ammo real fast and rapid like", but these others serve well, and I have not had reason to worry that they cannot take care of what ever comes up. ;)

CanyonMan