Southern Ohio gun's Police 870's? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Southern Ohio gun's Police 870's?

infiniti0505
09-20-2010, 11:39
I was browsing their catalog and I spotted their used 870 Police Magnums for $219. Im looking for a decent HD weapon and I figured this was an excellent choice at a great price. What do you guys think?

Z71bill
09-20-2010, 11:51
I was browsing their catalog and I spotted their used 870 Police Magnums for $219. Im looking for a decent HD weapon and I figured this was an excellent choice at a great price. What do you guys think?

They show - out of stock

Mr Wasabi
09-20-2010, 12:29
That's a very good price if they're in good shape and you can find one in stock.

infiniti0505
09-20-2010, 12:42
Thanks guys for the imput. Any other options??

1 old 0311
09-20-2010, 13:13
Buds carries used LEO scatter guns

MajorD
09-23-2010, 07:50
while I am a big fan of buying used police pistols- carried a lot fired little and somewhat protected from damage by life in a holster-Shotguns not so much. My brother is a police armorer and the shotguns sit in cars 24/7 getting subjected to repeated temp and humidity changes - pretty much ignored by the cops until it is needed. My brother during routine inspection/services has found barrels blocked with candy wrappers and cigarette butts. thick insect nests in barrels, parts rusted shut. If I was buying such a gun and had the chance to inspect it in person sure but mail order,I'd pass. While there is plenty written about the superiority of the parts in the police guns vs the express, for the typical civilian I still think the express is fine and you can find a 870 express for about 75 bucks more brand new. a better move from my perspective

aippi
09-23-2010, 11:14
Major D response mirrors multiple post by me on the risk of buying these weapons sight unseen. And the input of his brother who is also an amorer supports my prior post. these are the most neglected and abused shotguns you will find as todays officers have very little respect for the shotgun. departmental weapons do not belong to the officers so they do not take care of them. Prior to a trade in of these weapons they will be caniblized for the best parts and have anything laying around put in them. I just did a rebuild for a small town chief who bought a used P trade in. It had the Express Trigger plate and Express breech bolt with MIM extractor in it. Not big issues as the polymer trigger plate assembly is better then the one in the P model and these breech bolts are identical in each model except for the extractor. Point is that he bought a police trade in 870P and parts were switched out.

Of course if buying from a reputable on line dealer who stands by their used weapons your risk is lower.

The best deals are when you can hold the wepaon in your hand, break it down or better yet, shoot it. Buy sight unseen can turn into a nightmare. Resently a man bought a Remington Tube extension kit from me for an 870 Police he bought on Gun Broker. He could not get the tube to line up correctly and called me. I knew the issue immeditely and ask for his barrel codes. The weapon was from 1994, however, they had swapped the barrel for one from 1985 and in 1990 the stand off distance changed and when you try to put an extension on this weapon the tube points somewhat downward due to the stand off distance and pulling the end up to get the bracket on binds the tube. The seller refused to replace the barrel as it was sold as 4+1 and works fine as a 4+1. It is only an issue when you install a tube extension. The whole sale ended in a dispute with Gun Broker and Pay Pal. A nightmare for the buyer.

I get Departmental Remington shotguns in for rebuilding or repair as that is my job. I have horror stories about the conditions of these weapon that come to me and have found some that would not have even fed the second round if the officer tried.

And yes, many are simply trashed on the outside and like new on the inside except for a little rust and build up of gunk. many have extremely low round count so you are only dealing with exterior abuse.

It's a crap shoot so roll the dice but be prepared for the worst and hope for the best.

MD357
09-23-2010, 13:36
The horror stories are a moot point in threads like this one AND the Buds 870s. Southern Ohio Gun is a reputable dealer, just like many online vendors that are selling used shotguns. There is an inspection period, if not don't buy one. Otherwise, tear it down/inspect it etc. If you don't like it, send it back. If someone isn't handy enough to do so, then they may want to consider buying new.

More often than not you see a VAST MAJORITY of people report back that these are good deals and you get a good shotgun for relatively cheap. I've seen pics of the weapons and deals these individuals get from buying police trade ins. I've yet to see a pic of any abused 870 that has rusted shut that came from a REPUTABLE online buyer. It's possible that they exist I guess, but interesting that you just don't hear about it.

aippi
09-23-2010, 14:08
Good points MD but so are mine and MajorD's. They are not moot points they are good information for anyone thinking about buying a sight unseen used weapon.

The other advise to consider a new 870 is very valid. $50 to $75 more for a new 870 with a two year warranty beats any used one. Add the fact that all the Express HD and Express tactical model come with a $30 rebate till Decemeber 31st and it makes even more sence.

However, for those who don't understand the 870 and think they are getting something more because of a word engraved on the receiver, these used ones could be for them.

Many of the on line sellers have inspection and return policies. I don't use these sellers as I am a Dealers so I ask you MD357. Do they give you back the money you paid for shipping? Do they pay for shipping the weapon back to them? Do they re-emburse you the FFL Transfer fee you paid out or pay for the new FFL fee for the weapon they are sending? Just asking so that people can crunch the numbers when deciding to try a sight unseen used weapon. You have a lot of knowledge on this subject so I am sure you are the right person to ask about the money end of this.

MD357
09-23-2010, 14:51
JD, these guns were nearly $100 cheaper than any 870 I can find locally. Now I know you believe what you believe about the differences in the 870 Police and Express etc but personally, I don't care as this wasn't about the difference. An 870 for $219 is worth considering. The Buds guns weren't nearly as cheap as these were BUT those ended up being good deals for my needs aswell.

However, for those who don't understand the 870 and think they are getting something more because of a word engraved on the receiver, these used ones could be for them.

Actually, for those that are half-way logical, educated and aren't scared off by internet lore. I'd say that about buying just about any used 870 in good condition though. :supergrin:

Many of the on line sellers have inspection and return policies. I don't use these sellers as I am a Dealers so I ask you MD357. Do they give you back the money you paid for shipping? Do they pay for shipping the weapon back to them? Do they re-emburse you the FFL Transfer fee you paid out or pay for the new FFL fee for the weapon they are sending? Just asking so that people can crunch the numbers when deciding to try a sight unseen used weapon. You have a lot of knowledge on this subject so I am sure you are the right person to ask about the money end of this.

Couldn't tell you. I never had a bird's nest stuck in my 870 or Glock when I recieved it. :cool:

Seriously though, I've bought several police trade-ins from reputable companies like Buds, Summit, Aim etc and never had a problem. The catch is that I have only bought tough platforms such as Glock, Sig, S&W etc and used reputable dealers. When I DO actually have a problem I will be sure and report the logistics of such of that particular dealer. To be honest, I've had more problems with NIB guns than buying Police Trade-ins.

aippi
09-23-2010, 15:43
I was curious if SOG was still Dealer only so I checked, and they are. So to clear up the price of one of these for anyone considering one. You are stating the price is $219 and that is correct, however no one stated that SOG is dealer only so that is the price to dealers not retail. Buds is retail and I would guess that these SOG would cost you closer to the Bud's price once you find a dealer to get you one and pay shipping. Everyones situation is different. I am an ffl so my price would be $219 + shipping with no transfer fee so my price if I wanted one of these, and I don't, would be at the low end. At the high end would be non FFL in say California would have to have a dealer order it and it would most likely be close to $300+ with shipping and a $100 ffl and state fees. So that poor guy is paying $400 + for it. He can go to Big 5 and a new 870HD for that.

Using dealer prices to compare to the retail prices of a new 870 is rather unfair in my opinion. My dealer cost of the 870 HD model 25077 is $272.72 ( I bought over $60K in that model last year) but I certainly did not try to compare that price to these used Police trade ins which cost more then that retail. Compare retail to retail, that helps guys decide if these are good deals or not when compared to a new 870 as MajorD and I suggest.

MD357
09-23-2010, 22:28
I can't speak for the logistics of shipping a gun to California as I don't live there. So I have no idea what an 870 would cost in a storefront there either. We can sit here and make up scenarios all day but each individual will have to decide/figure out what they can do locally. Either way, this doesn't negate the fact that people buy cheap police trade-ins and have great luck from reputable dealers even though internet lore talks of "horror stories" pertaining to undisclosed dealers.

Compare retail to retail, that helps guys decide if these are good deals or not when compared to a new 870 as MajorD and I suggest.

No problem there, I already did so when I bought a few of the Buds 870s. They turned out to be really good buys IMO and others. :cool:

aippi
09-24-2010, 13:09
Internet Lore? Instead of recognizing professional advice, you label it internet lore. Interesting point of view. And yes, people reading these post will decide for themself. Nuff said.

PUNISHER56
09-24-2010, 14:21
As a FFL dealer for ten years, now retired, I have purchased many
firearms from CDNN including police trade-in shotguns. On a couple of
occasion's I had to return for exchange because of general neglect
of these shotguns. Issues included rusted bolts and barrels and in
one case the side of the shotgun had parts of a truck mat stuck to
it where it was rusted to the mat in the cars trunk.
In their defense, CDNN was very courteous in taking care of any problems
and I still deal with them today.

MD357
09-24-2010, 14:37
Internet Lore? Instead of recognizing professional advice, you label it internet lore. Interesting point of view. And yes, people reading these post will decide for themself. Nuff said.

My point is that someone reading these posts hopefully understands that the "horror stories" given aren't applicable to Ohio Southern and many other reputable online vendors. Unless someone comes forth with something we can all verify. There's no need to relay stories that apply to OTHER sellers, as it's always a possibility to get burned online buying from ANYONE. Otherwise, I'll give these companies the benefit of the doubt as they've been in business for quite some time and seemingly are very customer oriented. I understand the caveat emptor routine for sure and I'm not saying everyone should go out and buy a used shotgun. I'm saying it's a very viable possibility that works out for many.