Rear plastic sight rounded off [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Rear plastic sight rounded off

APanektree
09-20-2010, 17:27
I have two Glocks that are less then a year old and both are babied, even though they could stand the abuse I baby all my guns. :embarassed: I have noticed that on both guns the rear sight is getting rounded along the edges. It's strange because I can't think of anything that is coming into contact with them. My holster doesn't touch the rear sights. Anyone else having similar experiences where the rear sights are showing some wear despite nothing coming into contact with them? These are the plastic stock sights.

tpaw
09-20-2010, 17:43
Perhaps it's done just to conform with the rest of the rounded edges on the gun. Just a cosmetic thing?:dunno:

APanektree
09-20-2010, 17:59
They didn't originally come rounded off though.

elde
09-20-2010, 18:17
Honestly I consider the plastic factory sights to be dangerous in that they are easily disloged (in the case of the rear sight) or broken off (in the case of the front sight). First thing I do is switch sights on any new Glock.
JMO

CTM_357
09-20-2010, 19:04
The rear sight on my g31 is rounded in a bad way too. I carry it everyday but it does not have a hard life. It will be replaced soon!

vram74
09-20-2010, 19:13
If u go to Smyrna it cost about $22 OTD for steel sights and the cost to install them on the assembly line is probably less. Just friggin use steel from the start and charge me the difference! Saves Glock from having to produce two different types of sights and saves the end user the trouble of dealing with inferior components.

TxGun
09-20-2010, 19:19
Rounded off? They are already somewhat rounded except for the small square corners on top. If the wear is noticeable, then they have to be seriously rubbing something. It's not gremlins. Replace with steel or replace the polymer for $5. I've never had a problem with the rear sights and have never replaced one except to go to night sights. I always replace the front sights though.

Glocks&Ducs
09-20-2010, 20:44
Perhaps you just never noticed it before. I mean think about it. Sights don't just miraculously wear down on their own. But one other possibility I can think of. What are you using to clean the guns with? Maybe you are one of those people that doesn't believe in using conventional cleaning products, and you are softening the edges of the sights with some uncalled for chemicals. Lastly, I just looked at all of my Glocks with stock sights. None of them have hard edges as you are claiming yours came with.

And for those of you claiming the sights are inferior, that is pretty funny because those sights have worked just fine in thousands upon thousands of guns. Even in the LE market, night sights didn't become a fad until the late '80s to early '90s.

Snarlingiron
09-21-2010, 00:03
Interesting. I have a G19 that has been through 2 pistol courses and a shotgun course. It has over 16,000 rounds through it. The original plastic sights look pretty much the same as they did when I got the gun. I have pocket carried my G26 for about 2 years everyday, and they look pretty pristine too.

What the heck ARE you guys doing?

Ok, I just took a minute to take a look at both pistols, and I guess the sharp corners are rounded just a very small amount, but nothing that will make them un-serviceable. It's really very minor.

Duck of Death
09-21-2010, 09:43
I have a Glock OEM 6.5mm steel rear sight waiting to go on a recently purchased G27 if the plastic rear shows any kind of a problem. So far the plastic has been doing fine, thru 3 months of daily carry and numerous matches.

The front was immediately replaced by a Dawson Precision fiber optic sight.

shotgunred
09-21-2010, 10:44
They put cheap plastic sites on the gun because everyone swaps sites out.
I have 5 glocks and not one set of stock sites.

Glocks&Ducs
09-21-2010, 11:14
They put cheap plastic sites on the gun because everyone swaps sites out.
I have 5 glocks and not one set of stock sites.

LOL. That is a pretty dumb statement. I am willing to bet that a good portion of gun owners never even think about touching their sights. And what you are claiming is that the tail is wagging the dog.

They use plastic sights because they are cheap and they serve the purpose. Many people have complained about the front sight retention method, but the latest Glocks use a screw now. Nothing more to cry about.

Brian Lee
09-21-2010, 11:16
Those plastic sights are only about 2 bucks, and they're the easiest sight to replace on any gun out there.

APanektree
11-30-2010, 01:31
I have noticed that almost all the Glocks that I look at have a ding in the rear sight somewhere. I'm talking about brand new ones at the gun store. The glock 17 I bought was perfect before I put it on lay-a-way. When I picked it up, it had a small ding in the rear plastic sight. It's always right at the very top of the sight. The square part at the top, basically the very top of the goal post... This is most annoying.... Only my Glock 19 has an absolute perfectly square sight. My dad got a glock 17 that also has a perfect sight.. Some of the brand new glocks at the gun store had some SERIOUS rear sight dings... Is this common?? or are the gun stores i'm going to abusing the crap out of these pistols? It kinda sucks living in NY because when you buy a gun it HAS TO GO ON LAY-A-WAY. You can't take possession of the pistol until it's added to your NYS pistol permit. You have to have the purchase receipt in order to register it and add it to the permit. So even if it's perfect when you pay for it, it may not be perfect when you pick it up... Plus, these stores get all offended when you complain about it... They basically say, "it's a glock, it's not supposed to be pretty, if you want pretty, buy this Colt 1911"..... Or some crap like that. It seems every glock I look at has dings in the plastic rear sights. Maybe 1 out of 5 are perfect. IF THAT. Anyone else notice this? Am I being to picky?

APanektree
12-01-2010, 00:10
no one else has dings on their rear glock sights?

Boxerglocker
12-01-2010, 00:39
no one else has dings on their rear glock sights?

I've personally owned 10-12 different model Glocks at one point or another. The stock sights have never made it past one or two range sessions. The are replaced at the earliest possible timeframe with either competition, FO or tritium steel sights.

MrVvrroomm
12-01-2010, 08:36
no one else has dings on their rear glock sights?Just remember this: Glock perfection ends at the top of the slide.

At minimum I replace my oem Glock sights with a set of plain steel sights.