What's your favorite bullet? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite bullet?

MustangGreg66
09-21-2010, 11:21
So I just bought my first 10mm, still in the 10 day waiting period here in CA.... Anyway, I've loaded .40 for a while with moly bullets and I was wondering what people's favorite bullet for 10mm was.

I'll ask you for two since there are a lot of applications. Lets say, what's your favorite bullet for plinking/shooting at the range, target loads. And what's your favorite for firebreathing, make the bad guy's head explode bullets :D or however you want to call it, your stiffer loads that take the 10mm closer to it's full potential :)

AZBru88
09-21-2010, 12:21
For my SD rounds I like Hornady 180grn JHP's for practice I use Montana Gold 180 grn JHP, both pushed by Blue Dot! Nice and warm!
About to try some 155 MG JHP, just got a case a while back.

BurkGlocker
09-21-2010, 14:15
Back when I was loading up 10mm it was 180 and 200 grain XTPs all the way, for plinking/target and hunting.

Burk

OhioGlockMan
09-21-2010, 18:29
I like the gold dot 180's over 11 gr. bluedot, makes an excellent full house magnum load. Also the hardcast 200 grain lead flat nose SWC bullets over 10 gr, blue dot, makes another great full power target shooting, bowling pin blasting, the flat nosed SWC's really make bowling pins fly

Angry Fist
09-21-2010, 18:50
Carry load... 155gr Barnes TAC-XP!

Solid copper forged in Hell!

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz13/MO_FUGGAZ/BarnesTACXP.gif?t=1285116743

Meathead9
09-21-2010, 20:15
Hunting:
200gr WFNGC/800X/CCI350

Target/Fun:
180gr(any)/9.2gr Longshot/CCI350
155gr JHP/12.5gr Blue Dot/CCI350 (Flame Thrower)

The10mmKid
09-22-2010, 01:46
The beauty of the 10 is it can shoot from 135gr up to 220gr. Yet I have settled on the following.

Target/Plinking

175gr LSWC
(it shares double-duty with the 40short&wimpy)

Lethal evil round
175gr Winchester Silver Tips

'da 10mm Kid

MustangGreg66
09-22-2010, 11:03
Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'm going to use bluedot as a powder since it's been refered to time and time again as a great flamthrower powder. Not sure yet what I'll use for bullets. Maybe MG for flamethrower rounds at the range. I've got some 180gr Moly bullets left so those might be used for my light loads.... and I'll have to see what's available as far as nasty badguy getter HP bullets...

alpha6164
09-22-2010, 14:57
I can tell u that for hunting not much can beat a 200gr hard cast bullet. I shot a 250lb hog with a a double tap from 15yards and it dropped like it was dead for a week.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n35/ssoleymani/Hunting/Picture002.jpg

As far as self defense Gold Dots, XTP, Silver Tips im the 155-180gr traveling from 1400-1300ft/sec respectively will definitely do the job ;)

whenmonkeysfly
09-22-2010, 16:13

+1 My carry round!

AZBru88
09-22-2010, 17:31

I was looking for reviews on those bullets and didn't find much. Was that a water test bullet or wet pack, ect...? Thanks ....Bru

Angry Fist
09-22-2010, 17:49
I was looking for reviews on those bullets and didn't find much. Was that a water test bullet or wet pack, ect...? Thanks ....Bru
A download... I jugged a few, and they turned up in the 3rd jug, but they didn't unfold THAT perfectly. Very close. What I like is the idea that a less dense bullet of the same weight should be larger than it's lead counterpart. If I had a better camera for close up shots, I'd show y'all. It is awesome, and I definetly bet my sweet ass on it whenever I have my Angry Fist on me... I need to know the density of the copper being used.

Not to forget, that is one massive cavity in the nose of it, and being DT, it'll push at least 1300 fps... that will ruin the day of nearly anything in North America regardless of how many legs it lurks upon... :cool:

AZBru88
09-22-2010, 20:11
Thanks 10mmmofo very interesting bullet. I'm going to have to try some soon. I think pushing them with 12 grains of Blue Dot to start, see where to go from there! I have always love Hornady XTP's in my 44 mags, and now my 10mm's. Think I might have to try those TAC's. Put it on my list!
Alliant site shows a 155 grn GDHP over 12 grains of Blue Dot at 1290! I would think that would make a great combo with the 155 grn TAC's.
Thanks again...Bru

_The_Shadow
09-22-2010, 20:42
SAFETY TIP! You had better check the lenght of the TAC bullets...being a copper solid they will be longer than those with lead cores...therefore powder charge weights need to be adjusted for the reduced space in the cartridge.

LASTRESORT20
09-22-2010, 20:55
180gr `Full-power JHP "carry" ~ Good weight/speed/ no messin around bullet.
200gr FMJ Woods Protection `Full power good weight/`dependability` works well in my G20SF *dont have to buy an after market barrel....even though I have one..for the `option.

AZBru88
09-22-2010, 21:22
SAFETY TIP! You had better check the lenght of the TAC bullets...being a copper solid they will be longer than those with lead cores...therefore powder charge weights need to be adjusted for the reduced space in the cartridge.
Yep! Have to take a look at them! They probably are longer. Thanks for the reminder! I always work my loads up! Checking for pressure signs. Should have posted it that way so no NOOB would get the wrong idea! Thanks...Bru

Angry Fist
09-22-2010, 21:56
Yeah man... It has to be bigger one way or the other, even by a little. I know next to nothing about reloading, and only shoot factory. I need to learn a lot more, and get a press. I'm missing out on all the fun...

AZBru88
09-23-2010, 06:12
Yeah man... It has to be bigger one way or the other, even by a little. I know next to nothing about reloading, and only shoot factory. I need to learn a lot more, and get a press. I'm missing out on all the fun...

It is a lot of fun! I've been playing with some wuss loads for the up coming GSSF shoot in Tucson. Wife has already said we'd do the Vegas shoot to! Win some money playing black jack and shooting....don't see a down side there. It does amaze me how light I was able to go in 10mm.
As much as i like to shoot there would be no way I could afford to shoot as much. I shot 3K last month through my 10's! This month I'm way behind, rain and 100+ degree weather have slowed me down! Need to get out and pound the plate rack! (which I had to rebuild because I blew it apart with my 10mm last month!:rofl:).
You'll never save any money reloading, but you'll get to shoot a bunch more! I still need to buy a Chrono, but after 35+ years of reloading its a want not a need....for some reason I always need; primers, bullets, powder??????

SimonovsDog
09-27-2010, 16:58
I like the 175gr Win STHP bullet, and can not go wrong with 180gr Hornady XTP in front of 14.5gr of Accurate No.9.

MustangGreg66
09-27-2010, 17:50
It is a lot of fun! I've been playing with some wuss loads for the up coming GSSF shoot in Tucson. Wife has already said we'd do the Vegas shoot to! Win some money playing black jack and shooting....don't see a down side there. It does amaze me how light I was able to go in 10mm.
As much as i like to shoot there would be no way I could afford to shoot as much. I shot 3K last month through my 10's! This month I'm way behind, rain and 100+ degree weather have slowed me down! Need to get out and pound the plate rack! (which I had to rebuild because I blew it apart with my 10mm last month!:rofl:).
You'll never save any money reloading, but you'll get to shoot a bunch more! I still need to buy a Chrono, but after 35+ years of reloading its a want not a need....for some reason I always need; primers, bullets, powder??????

Sounds like you got things figured out there. I just dumped a bunch of money into primers only to realize I need bullets more. I'm lucky enough to have a gun range that has a chrono I can use :) Saves from having to buy one and I feel a lot more comfy knowing what my load is doing, not just how it feels.

I think I'm going to the LV GSSF match too, maybe I'll see you there :)

CanyonMan
09-27-2010, 19:54
Well, I do not use factory stuff much unless someone wants test run, so most everything are my reloads, But:

For my G20's/29

I like the 200gr Cast performance bullet over, I'll just say enough Blue Dot to give me 1200/ 1250fps. Also AA#9 for the same vels and a tad higher. 800X is also a running mate as well. This is for deer here on the ranch, and if we have border crossing bandito's running through the cactus and mesquite that would cause any trouble these will do the trick.

I carry a M1911 45acp in "town" BUT, in the saddle bags is a G20 and plenty of high cap mags for the latter reason mentioned above, and I still use the same bullet and loads because in this country you need MUCHO penetration.

Next in line are the 180gr/200gr XTP's for the G20/29, (still home rolled) and the same powders mentioned above. Being a fan of flame throwers :supergrin: I do like BD powder, plus in all seriousness, it does give me in these bullets mentioned all the vel I need to take a deer a huge lion or if need be SD with two legged stuff in deep brush if it came to that. (of course the AK is way better) :supergrin:

Factory stuff for strickly SD say in town:
I would go with the Buffalo Bore offerings in a JHP. Period. The only exception is the WW 175gr ST. I know some do not like it, but it really is a bad news bullet for factory stuff more than most think. But BB is first pick for factory 10mm SD loads.

Stay safe amigo's

CanyonMan

MakeMineA10mm
09-29-2010, 21:56
Mustang,
Here's what I use a lot of:

Practice Load:
175gr Lee TC (regular lube groove) home cast and sized, loaded with 5.6grs of W231 and whatever LP primers are cheap for about 1100fps.

Self-Defense Load (anti-personnel):
165gr Gold Dot loaded with 8.0grs of Ramshot Silhouette (very low-flash powder) and WLPs for about 1150fps to 1175fps.

Hunting Load:
200gr Hornady XTP with 12.6grs of AA#9 and WLP for about 1175fps to 1200fps.

That covers the main spectrum of uses for my 10mm. There are some specialty loads, like a shot load, etc., but those are much more involved and not really responsive to your question.

gator378
10-01-2010, 09:24
So I just bought my first 10mm, still in the 10 day waiting period here in CA.... Anyway, I've loaded .40 for a while with moly bullets and I was wondering what people's favorite bullet for 10mm was.

I'll ask you for two since there are a lot of applications. Lets say, what's your favorite bullet for plinking/shooting at the range, target loads. And what's your favorite for firebreathing, make the bad guy's head explode bullets :D or however you want to call it, your stiffer loads that take the 10mm closer to it's full potential :)

I like the 200 grain Hornady XTP. For deep penetration the Sierra 190 grain solid has given good results. Also the Double Tap 200 and 230 grain SWC are good for hunting