Slow computer help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Slow computer help

nathanours
09-21-2010, 13:35
My girlfriend had a 3 year old hp that has become horribly slow recently.

It is running windows 7 and had only 512 mb of ram. Upgrading ram is not an option due to cost. Would win ready boost help?

So far I have tried running eusing registry cleaner, ccleaner, and avg to check for viruses.

ETA: it has also had regular disk defrags

The startup time and shutdown time are horrible, and something I can't figure out is whenever I run ccleaner, even after only 40 mins of light use, it finds 200-300 mb of stuff to delete. What could be building up that quickly? On my brand new laptop it never removes close to those numbers after a week of use, and my new laptop has 4gb of ddr3 ram and an i7 processor. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nathan

kc8ykd
09-21-2010, 13:48
i don't think readyboost is going to help much, although, it's worth a shot.

her laptop should have an integrated card reader/writer, so you could stick an SD card in it and see what happens. i'd go with a minimum of 2gb. the card reader is treated as a usb device by the computer and windows.

or stick a thumb drive on it and see how it works. for long term use, the sd card is probably the better option since it doesn't protrude from the machine very far and is less likely to get knocked off or broken.

either way, when you've got the card or the thumb drive connected, make sure it's empty of files. open the computer link from the start button.

locate your newly attached drive and right-click on it. then, click on properties. next, click on the tab labeled 'readyboost'. the selection the option in the middle called 'dedicate this device to readyboost'. then, hit ok at the bottom.

my personal opinion, her computer will continue to be slow until that ram gets upgraded to at least 1gb (preferably 2gb).

as for the ccleaner, it's hard to tell what's going on, unless you can figure out what those specific files it's finding are.

MrSmoofy
09-21-2010, 14:11
512mb EEEK!! You need more ram, try crucial.com it can't be that expensive for your computer. Tell me the model and all (service code) and I'll find you a good deal on ram.

nathanours
09-22-2010, 14:09
See the deal is I have two 1 gig ram sticks that will work, but they are at my parents house where some of my stuff is 3 hours away. I was looking for kind of a quick fix sort if deal for the next couple weeks.

IndyGunFreak
09-22-2010, 15:18
See the deal is I have two 1 gig ram sticks that will work, but they are at my parents house where some of my stuff is 3 hours away. I was looking for kind of a quick fix sort if deal for the next couple weeks.

Seriously, get a quick fix out of your head.. adding more bloat to the machine by installing some software miracle.. is just going to make the problem worse. The minimum system requirements is 1gig for Win7, so this is not a software issue, and software is not going to fix it.

That machine has way to little ram. Take a day, drive home, get the RAM and bring it back.

Is the Ram in a PC, or sitting out individually? Any chance your parents could mail it to you? It couldn't cost much and would only take a couple days.

IGF

GlockSupremacy
09-22-2010, 15:39
Ubuntu 10.04 has my dinosaur of a laptop running pretty sweet right now! Perfect for any lever computer user (and beyond) as an Internet and email machine.

Try linux.

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

ETA: ram is very cheap now days... newegg.com has some good deals if you dont want to change op systems.

IndyGunFreak
09-22-2010, 16:03
Ubuntu 10.04 has my dinosaur of a laptop running pretty sweet right now! Perfect for any lever computer user (and beyond) as an Internet and email machine.

Try linux.

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

ETA: ram is very cheap now days... newegg.com has some good deals if you dont want to change op systems.

He could try Linux... but given it's not his PC.. it's probably not really an option.

IGF

filthy infidel
09-22-2010, 17:40
More ram is needed, absolutely.

A few things that will help- go to control panel- display settings- and degrade the resolution and color settings.

Go to control panel-system-advanced tab-performance, check 'adjust for best performance'. click the 'advanced tab-, bump the virtual memory to 3000 and 5000, click apply.

Touch the 'windows key' and the 'r' keys together, type 'msconfig' in the 'run' box.
under the 'startup' tab, start to uncheck things that you don't need to run initially, like itunes, adobe, etc. Best you google this first so you don't shut down some necessary services.

Defrag lately? Look up google 'smartdefrag cnet' and download from iobit on Cnet. Take the time to run a 'deep optimize'.

These are all cheap 'helpers' but a ram increase will yield the most benefit.

Sgt. Schultz
09-22-2010, 18:33
Take a day, drive home, get the RAM and bring it back. ... or he could have someone mail it to him.

I agree with the others ... the system needs MORE Ram, but you could disable some services like Error Reporting, Windows Search, Program Compatibility Assistant etc ... and free up system resources. Google will provide a whole list of services that you can safely disable.

IndyGunFreak
09-22-2010, 18:51
... or he could have someone mail it to him.

Yup, thats why I mentioned that in my first post.. :tongueout:

IGF

Sgt. Schultz
09-22-2010, 20:22
Yup, thats why I mentioned that in my first post.. :tongueout:

IGF

D'oh! I totally missed that.

nathanours
09-22-2010, 21:45
It's in my old laptop and my parents don't know how to get it out. It looks like it will just have to wait for the ram. Btw I am running ubuntu and red hat in computers of my own but dont really want to go to in dept with my girlfriends.

GlockSupremacy
09-23-2010, 16:41
It's in my old laptop and my parents don't know how to get it out. It looks like it will just have to wait for the ram. Btw I am running ubuntu and red hat in computers of my own but dont really want to go to in dept with my girlfriends.

Ok, I always throw ubuntu out there since it seems a lot of people have parents or gf's that just use a computer to surf the net.

berniew
09-26-2010, 21:31
My girlfriend had a 3 year old hp that has become horribly slow recently.

It is running windows 7 and had only 512 mb of ram. Upgrading ram is not an option due to cost. Would win ready boost help?

Fast is relative

When you say recently - was it running faster while running W7?

I agree that is not enought RAM for W7, but if you had acceptable performance and haven't done anything new and or 'stupid' recently it could indicate a hardware issue.

Try booting up in safe mode - see http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/safe-mode-f8-doesnt-work/ for instructions.

If the computer is as slow, objectively, in safe mode as it is normally - then hardware.

If it is significantly faster - then software - probably malware.

srhoades
09-26-2010, 21:49
Do a disk cleanup and delete all the old restore points, then download defraggler and do a full defrag

http://www.piriform.com/defraggler/download