G21 Recoil Spring Issue??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : G21 Recoil Spring Issue???

wiskeyVI
09-21-2010, 18:05
Good Day,
I have a new G21 SF.
First thing I noticed was that when I disassembled it, the recoil spring was not in the perch on the barrel.

Every time I have taken it to the range, I have about 45% failure to go to full battery. I have to hit the back of the slide to get it to lock.

Also, every time I have inspected it, the recoil spring is just kinda sitting there with no tension on the barrel as it is not setting in the perch/groove of the barrel.

I an thinking that with this happening with the barrel/recoil spring, it dos not want to go to full lock up but I'm not sure why.

None of my previous Glocks had a recoil spring that was not under some tension, but my also ne G36 does the same thing but it locks the slide fwd...

So, is this normal or do I have a problem? As a a note, I have always installed Wolff guide rods and springs eventually. I even commented at the range that I just need a 20# spring for it to run right.

Thanks for any help.

JR
09-22-2010, 13:16
The spring issue you have described is normal. It is not contributing to any failures.

The failure to go into battery sounds like a reloading issue? If you are shooting reloads, the failure is caused by OAL of the cartridge or swelled case syndrome.

wiskeyVI
09-22-2010, 13:33
LOL...Thanks JR.
Some of them were reloads.
Ignore the next two follow up new post.....I just now saw the blurb pop up about being reviewed prior to the new post being added..I messed up this time.

I'll check some of the loads and measure them out. I have had issues dies I am using and am looking at another set up.

JR
09-22-2010, 14:01
Use the barrel chamber as a go, no-go gauge. Remove the barrel from the slide and start dropping rounds into it. If the load don’t drop in just below the hood ..... Chuck it.

wiskeyVI
09-23-2010, 06:17
Will do.