Slugs for defense [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Slugs for defense

mainegunner
09-22-2010, 17:23
Wondering what some of you folks are using for slugs for defensive purposes? Thank's

WoodenPlank
09-22-2010, 17:45
The only reason there are slugs in the SpeedFeed stock of my Mossberg is for barrier penetration and (highly unlikely) vehicle disabling. Otherwise, it is all about the low recoil 00.

Aceman
09-22-2010, 20:04
The only reason there are slugs in the SpeedFeed stock of my Mossberg is for barrier penetration and (highly unlikely) vehicle disabling. Otherwise, it is all about the low recoil 00.

ditto. And the slugs I have on the saddle are low recoil too.

Oh yes - don't forget the "hostage rescue head shot"

AC45ACP
09-22-2010, 20:13
I have slugs in the side saddle just in case they try to run!! :) and they can run!! But they'll Die Tired!!

Folsom_Prison
09-22-2010, 23:07
I don't have slugs in my shotty. I do have the first three rounds birdshot, after that it's buckshot. If the first three don't do the job, I know the rest will.

Foxtrotx1
09-22-2010, 23:34
I don't have slugs in my shotty. I do have the first three rounds birdshot, after that it's buckshot. If the first three don't do the job, I know the rest will.

Bird shot is for birds...

mainegunner
09-23-2010, 03:06
Thank's guy's no such thing as warning shots and no bird shot.

Goldstar225
09-23-2010, 07:10
Same setup as others. 00 buck in the mag tube, slugs in the side saddle. Slugs are for reaching out/punching through as needed.

MajorD
09-23-2010, 07:37
I have but one slug in the side saddle- unless you are in the country(I am) over penetration with slugs is a major concern. I do have my first shot in the mag as bird shot prior to going to buck (I consider this a defensible "escalation of force" issue- if you can stop the threat with a lighter load less likely to kill someone, great. if they keep coming then buck will put them down.)you can see how legal stuff could go- yes judge /jury he was despite several verbal warnings continuing to charge at me/my family with that knife- I shot at him with the same ammo I use to hunt bunny rabbits and he did not stop- I had no choice after that but to kill him

Invictus
09-23-2010, 10:55
hell yea! nothing like a .73 hole, try to stop that bleeding.

triggerjerk
09-24-2010, 14:41
I have a stash of Wolf and SB on hand for practice.
For serious work I have some Brenneke SF Short Magnums.

Aceman
09-24-2010, 17:51

If the first doesn't work, you had better pray that you GET to use the second and third. Those first three rounds are mighty polite. I hope nobody else besides you is depending on them...

B Coyote
09-24-2010, 19:24
I keep 18 rounds of Winchester Ranger Low Recoil Slugs in my Sneaky Bag Mini, stored with the gun.

bc

M1A Shooter
09-24-2010, 20:43
i keep some slugs but never considered them for defense. if my first 5 00buck rounds dont take care of it, then im switching to the ARs or AK.

my762buzz
09-24-2010, 21:08
Wondering what some of you folks are using for slugs for defensive purposes? Thank's

Forster slugs only penetrate around 14 inches in wet media like ballistic gel.
That is similar to what some defensive handgun loads do in the same media.
00 buckshot surpasses the penetration a forster slug through ballistic gel to 16 inches or more.

The opposite is true in dry media like wallboard.

Just for perspective, birdshot is terrible at reliable penetration and may not do more than superficially injure even at close range.

That said: A regular forster 12 gauge slug doesn't have much of a chance of doing much damage beyond a concrete cylinder or solid brick wall.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9doIlPASw4