Reserve, Guard or active duty? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Reserve, Guard or active duty?

Jack Greenwell
09-22-2010, 20:29
I am currently looking into the options in the US ARMY but I like the Reserve/Guard as I don't want to be sent to Germany, Japan, Korea. My Fiance and future in-laws like the idea of active duty for the money/benefits.
Of those who have served, who likes there job, and if you could please supply other info (How long have you been in, MOS, rank.) And I do not yet have a college degree so OCS is not an option.

metrogruntual
09-23-2010, 10:03
dump the fiance and go AD with 18X (11B+) contract, i did this in 2005 and it's been great.

i made to SGT in the infantry, then went to OCS and now i'm an 11A.

KG Dad
09-23-2010, 10:34
Greetings:

Several factors play into your question. Are you employed or attending school full-time? Do you have 3-6 years when you can be flexible? Will your fiancee remain your fiancee if you absent yourself for a year? What skills do you have, i.e., what sort of MOS would you apply for? Do you want to make a career out of the military? Do you want retirement benefits at age 60? What types of benefits do you want at age 60? How would you feel if you lost an eye/limb/good friend to an IED? Does the thought of combat scare you?

I was 15 years into my solo law practice when I joined the JAG Corps reserve. If mobilized, I would probably lose my practice. I knew that up front, and I accept that. I am not as concerned about my physical safety. I'm not likely to be placed in a front-line position where I am routinely exposed to danger.

When I joined, I was 19 years and 2 kids into my marriage. My youngest was 3 months old. We were just upgrading to a new home. For me, the grass is greener in my own backyard, and my wife and family know that.

I also joined for philosophical reasons. I've said for years that every generation has a duty to support and defend this country. Were I to say that and not serve, I would be a hypocrite. So I raised my hand.

Looking at retirement options, my goal is to have the health care benefits. My practice supplies more money than the Army, but when I retire, the large cash flow will retire too. Health care costs will remain high however. That being said, my statutory 8-year obligation ends in 2 years. Iíll be 48. My wife and youngest child want me to resign my commission. I may. Or I may apply for a promotion to major and serve another few years. I enjoy the service, the camaraderie, the fulfillment. But I miss my weekends, the interim duty, and the hassle of marking extra time out for a vacation with the family beyond the 2-3 weeks I am gone for Uncle Sam. Itís only me getting the work out the door, and every week out takes 2 to get caught up.

So examine all the factors and count the cost. Itís more than dollars, flashy uniforms, etc. Were I young, Iíd do an active duty stint for a few years, and then possibly get out.

MJH

Jack Greenwell
09-23-2010, 13:29
dump the fiance

The rest of your post does not matter to me now, yes I was and will always be an American and a Christian before I am husband but the woman who WILL BE my wife means the world to me. I hope you post was just in jest but if not I hope you find a person that can mean that much to you.

Jack Greenwell
09-23-2010, 13:37
To KG Dad, thank you for your thoughts. In reply I am not afraid of a combat deployment, I have always supported the war and would feel hypocritical not to serve, as for the relationship with my fiancee it is solid no matter what I choose. The MOS I have been looking into is 11B, 11C, or 12B.

metrogruntual
09-23-2010, 19:46
The rest of your post does not matter to me now...

it will later

lxAsTrOxl
09-25-2010, 12:17
I am currently looking into the options in the US ARMY but I like the Reserve/Guard as I don't want to be sent to Germany, Japan, Korea. My Fiance and future in-laws like the idea of active duty for the money/benefits.
Of those who have served, who likes there job, and if you could please supply other info (How long have you been in, MOS, rank.) And I do not yet have a college degree so OCS is not an option.

BTW, I was at my recruiting station a few days ago and they said they are not accepting anymore reserves as there were only 6 slots left total. The earliest that more slots will open up is to be sometime in October or later.

Jack Greenwell
09-25-2010, 19:33
The unit in my area is still taking people.

lxAsTrOxl
09-26-2010, 12:41
The unit in my area is still taking people.

Yeah, could be region based? I'm not an expert so I don't want to steer anyone wrong.

jdh31313
09-26-2010, 14:44
In whatever you choose...Make sure you pick a MOS which is highly convertible to a job in the civilian world. Think high tech or medical. I was a medic in the active Army & National Guard. I did three years active duty and five years in the Guard. Medic wasn't the most convertible job but I enjoyed it. If I could do it over I would have picked another MOS in the medical field which would have been a bit more lucrative in the civilian world.

nothing
09-26-2010, 19:28
If you aren't willing to move around all over the world do not go AD. Since you are considering 11/12 series MOS's do not go reserve. There are very few reserve combat arms units and reservist mostly deploy as individuals and not units. The National Guard carries the majority of the combat arms, has better funding, and more benefits. If you are wanting to be in a training brigade or human resources go AR, otherwise NG is the way to go.

Bren
10-02-2010, 19:24

Well, I've never met anybody in the Army who has been stationed in Japan - at least since the late 40's (I'm sure their are a few, but very few). Going to active duty doesn't mean you'll be in Germany or Korea (but you'd be a fool not to want Germany, IMO). You can get all sorts of deals at various times, like getting assigend to the unit or duty station you want. Going reserve or guard isn't going to give you a steady job.

I'm a drill sergeant in the Army Reserve, but that isn't an entry level job - my company doesn't have anybody below the rank of sergeant and most or all have come from active duty. That wouldn't help you until you ahve some time in.

M1A Shooter
10-02-2010, 20:39
i spent 6 years in the guard as a MP and then took a 6 month break before going active duty, also as a MP. i really didnt like the idea of getting in the military to begin with but my dad helped talk me into the guard as a way to see the world and pay for college. immediately after basic and ait, i really wanted to go active bu let my family talk me into staying in the guard. after going to college 3 semesters and being able to finish 1 due to deployments, i was fed up and got out when my contract was over. i immediately missed it and went active duty as i didnt care for the stop and go of the guard.

i spent 4 years active before i got medically discharged due to combat related injuries. i dont regret a bit of it. i did get married right before going active and it was hard with a couple deployments but she hung in there.

the benefits while on active duty are great. didnt realise how much until i got out and had to start buying my own insurance and such. the only issue i ever had, which is in every profession, is putting up with the BS and having to listen to people who obviously didnt know what they are doing.

i still miss it daily even though i know im no longer capable of doing it.

ptcspotweld
10-22-2010, 00:13
If you go 11B or 11c and get airborne you have a good chance to get stationed in Italy, alaska, Bragg.

Also if you 18x and dont make it you still get airborne.

I earned airborne by doing well on the pt test in basic so I got a slot. Now im stationed in Italy and am just finishing my 11 month deployment to afghaniland

metrogruntual
10-23-2010, 01:28
...1. WILL BE... 2. I hope you find a person that can mean that much to you.

1. will stay > will be

2. we just had our 3yr anniversary, AD the entire time

3. 18X is a great deal. you can fail and still be ahead of your peers

ArmyCop
10-23-2010, 07:39
I've been Air Force and Army - lastly Army National Guard MP with about a year active combat MP Sgt in Iraq. If your planning on being married while Active duty I'd highly recommend the Air Force - lots better accommodations and lifestyle for a family man.