MS Word 2003 help! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : MS Word 2003 help!

hpracing007
09-22-2010, 20:37
I'm having a problem... I'm trying to print a document and while working on it, it is perfectly centered on the page.

When you hit print preview, the entire document is not perfectly centered. I printed a few copies and everything is printed approx. 1/8" to the left.

I'm using a samsung laser printer and made sure the paper is in the tray right. The settings in word and printer are set to print to letter instead of A4.

What else am I missing??

edit: I'm actually measuring the screen, it looks perfect in print preview, must be a printer setting that's off.

RottnJP
09-22-2010, 21:12
Common problems here are margin settings (in page setup or page view) being different than you expect/want, or MS Word thinking it knows better n' you do what format you want.

Printers these days is pretty dumb, and just do what you tell them. (Assuming you don't have an unusual situation like postscript printing, etc.) Another way to say that, I suppose, is they're pretty smart. ;-) Not a whole lot of settings I can think of, off the top of my head, on the printer side that would create an offset like that.

Are you working in "print layout" view, under the view options? Page view will try to make everything look "normal" and may not reflect print settings, like margins.

hpracing007
09-22-2010, 21:33
Thanks for your post!

The margins are set at 1" on each side...

I think there's something up with the printer. I went to google, printed the home page. It's definately printing off to one side. about 1/4" or so.

RottnJP
09-22-2010, 21:35
Hmm.... Yeah, might be time to prowl the printer model's help/FAQ/Customer Service pages and see what you can find...

hpracing007
09-22-2010, 21:55
Looks like i'm gonna have to call them for help..
This printer has to be one of the most complicated I've ever seen. You can print on both sides and you can even adjust it to print optimally according to your altitude and how many thousands of feet you are above sea level...

yet there's no easy way I can see to get it to print on center :(

hpracing007
09-22-2010, 22:43
good lord... after talking on the phone with them for like 30 mins, I need to set up a service appointment for my printer that's less than a month old!

So I have to miss a few hours of work to screw around with a $100 printer? god damn, it may just be cheaper to throw it in the trash and order a diff one:steamed::steamed::steamed:

Ogreon
09-23-2010, 22:57
Try setting the left margin in Word to "1.12. If the right margin is too far left also, set it to "0.87. This should force the page over about 1/8 of an inch. It's not proper, but it might be a "quick & dirty" fix.