Wall Tent advantages? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Wall Tent advantages?

StoneDog
09-23-2010, 09:47
Hi Everyone,

Just curious if there is some sort of advantage to the big canvas "wall" or outfitter tents? It looks like you can put a stove in them so that is a plus, but they are quite expensive compared to the traditional weekend-warrior / family tents made from newer materials.

Jon

FPS
09-23-2010, 10:48
The canvas can handle the heat of the stove, particulalry at the stove pipe opening in the roof.

bowtie454
09-23-2010, 11:32
A canvas wall tent is also much more durable than the nylon/synthetic tents. A good one, properly maintained, will just about last a lifetime. Downside is that they are bulkier, heavier, and require larger poles. I use the cheap nylon tents for summer camping, but for fall/winter camping you can't beat a good canvas wall tent. Just depends on what you want to do with it.

FPS
09-23-2010, 12:13
A canvas wall tent is also much more durable than the nylon/synthetic tents. A good one, properly maintained, will just about last a lifetime. Downside is that they are bulkier, heavier, and require larger poles. I use the cheap nylon tents for summer camping, but for fall/winter camping you can't beat a good canvas wall tent. Just depends on what you want to do with it.

I agree. Canvas is great for winter camping. We often setup the wall tent in the winter and leave it up for a few weeks in the woods. We snowmobile out to the tent and camp out. Once the stove heats the tent up you'd think you were home in your living room. Using cots in the wall tent is also real nice.

duncan
09-26-2010, 23:22
I agree. Canvas is great for winter camping. We often setup the wall tent in the winter and leave it up for a few weeks in the woods. We snowmobile out to the tent and camp out. Once the stove heats the tent up you'd think you were home in your living room. Using cots in the wall tent is also real nice.

Just make sure you stake down strong and use your bowlin and taut line hitch knots.

The wind can really take them away.