Sight Installation Gone Wrong...Help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sight Installation Gone Wrong...Help

PSG1
09-23-2010, 12:56
OK, how screwed am I?

I wanted to install night sights on my G19. I watched all the "how to" videos and read all the related websites. Seemed simple enough, after all I can change a tire on my car with no problem.

So I ordered a set of Trijicons, a brass punch and some Loctite 271.

Did the rear sight first, no problems. I've actually done it before many times on other handguns.

Prior to removing the front sight I made sure my 3/16 socket matched the front sight nut and it fit perfectly. So I removed the front sight, it was on there pretty good but I twisted it off with a vice.

I inserted the front blade sight, added a couple drops of loctite and EVENTUALLY got the threaded screw going into the front sight blade. Now I know why other countries use small children for this kind of work, trying to get that lined up with my adult fingers was a major pain.

And then I started turning the nut with the 3/16 socket and everything was going fine until....my socket lost contact with the hex nut head. But it was still far from being securely tightened.

I was able to get it an extra turn or two with some needlenose pliers but this clearly wasn't the correct tool for the job either. And nothing else in my toll box that can fit inside the slide will grab that flat hex screw and turn it the rest of the way.

So it's still pretty loose and the loctite is setting up.

Now what?

I'm hoping there is a way to "un-loctite" this thing as I really don't want to have to purchase another front night sight (not even sure Trijicon sells them that way) in addition to likely paying to have a professional do it correctly.

And if I am really screwed, who is the best to send it to for sight installation?

Thanks.

tampashooters
09-23-2010, 12:58
Uh, take it out before it sets?

After it sets, warm it with a hair dryer and get a front sight tool for under $10 and a new screw, unless you stripped the front sight.

I have never used any loctite or any other "glue" as there is really no need, and I have NEVER had a sight come loose, and I have installed quite alot. If you feel you need Loctite, use red loctite.

Front sight tool; (http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=KQGTOOL3)
http://www.natchezss.com/images/products/KQGTOOL3.jpg

AltiDude
09-23-2010, 13:02
You can also file the face of your socket flat so that it fits completely over the very thin head of the screw.

hardcorp
09-23-2010, 13:07
If you use a normal socket or something of that type you are not going to be able to tighten it all the way. A normal socket's end is recessed and when the sight screw gets tight the socket won't get a grip.

Take the sight off as soon as possible hopefully before the loctite sets.

foxjordan22
09-23-2010, 13:08
Are you sure you didn't use the longer screw from the glock front sight with the new trijicon sight and now it's bottomed out?

PSG1
09-23-2010, 13:09
Uh, take it out before it sets?

After it sets, warm it with a hair dryer and get a front sight tool for under $10 and a new screw, unless you stripped the front sight.

I have never used any loctite or any other "glue" as there is really no need, and I have NEVER had a sight come loose, and I have installed quite alot. If you feel you need Loctite, use red loctite.

Front sight tool; (http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=KQGTOOL3)
http://www.natchezss.com/images/products/KQGTOOL3.jpg

Will a hair dryer really work on loctite 271? If so, what is the point of loctite at all? The barrel will get it way hotter than that.

PSG1
09-23-2010, 13:10
Are you sure you didn't use the longer screw from the glock front sight with the new trijicon sight and now it's bottomed out?

Positive. There was no screw on the Glock front sight.

PSG1
09-23-2010, 13:12
If you use a normal socket or something of that type you are not going to be able to tighten it all the way. A normal socket's end is recessed and when the sight screw gets tight the socket won't get a grip.

Take the sight off as soon as possible hopefully before the loctite sets.

Yep, that is what I learned today.

And I have nothing that will remove the screw, even the needlenose can't get a good grip and the loctite IS set.

Looks like I need to get the tool tampashooters mentioned, until then my carry gun is out of action. This is why I hate those damn DIY videos and websites, NOT ONE OF THEM mentioned I would need a specific Glock front sight tool to do the job.

Grrrr.

HGxyz
09-23-2010, 13:18
A front sight tool made for the job will also save you employing the small children you speak about - it will hold the screw and allow you to insert it into the sight.

tampashooters
09-23-2010, 13:18
Yep, that is what I learned today.

And I have nothing that will remove the screw, even the needlenose can't get a good grip and the loctite IS set.

Looks like I need to get the tool tampashooters mentioned, until then my carry gun is out of action. This is why I hate those damn DIY videos and websites, NOT ONE OF THEM mentioned I would need a specific Glock front sight tool to do the job.

Grrrr.

People do some stupid stuff to "lock" on their front sights, which is totally not necessary... Once you get the tool, you may need to use some pliers with it, so you get some leverage to break the loctite.

zoti
09-23-2010, 13:46
I've found that the bit holder of my Victorinox cyber tool fits the screw perfectly.

mdlott
09-23-2010, 13:53
Use a soldering iron to heat the head of the screw. This will soften/melt the Locktite and allow removal w/ the correct tool. These are steel sights, right?

Jeff82
09-23-2010, 14:00
That's why you always "dry fit" all parts before going "wet." You find out what does/doesn't work in your chosen technique.

HGxyz
09-23-2010, 14:00
People do some stupid stuff to "lock" on their front sights, which is totally not necessary...

I was once having a real bad day at the range with my G19 until I noticed the front sight was loose and moving around.

I'm interested in how this can be avoided without using locktite or similar. Particularly when most sight instructions warn about over tightening.

Fire_Medic
09-23-2010, 14:40
Heat up the screw from the inside of the slide with a blow dryer on high heat for a few minutes then use a proper front sight tool to unscrew it. The heat will soften up the loctite.

If you need a front sight tool send me a PM.
:wavey:

lethal tupperwa
09-23-2010, 15:00
http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/pistol-sights/glock/night-sights

You Can buy a front sight Here

they include a tool with it.

the lamps are Trijicons

vmann
09-23-2010, 15:31
i would use blue loctite and not the red...

kda
09-23-2010, 16:54
I did some reading into the various properties of Loctite and yes, it was common to see recommendations to use heat to soften the red Loctite before attempting to remove it.

I recently replaced the front sights on five Glocks (26s and 19s) and using the proper tool that was provided with the sights (Amerglo), the first two Glocks I took to the range both had the front sights loosen up considerably at under 100 rounds. I mean like they were really quite lose. So I remounted them all with red Loctite and that was the end of those problems.

Just my experiences for what it is worth.

tampashooters
09-23-2010, 18:02
I was once having a real bad day at the range with my G19 until I noticed the front sight was loose and moving around.

I'm interested in how this can be avoided without using locktite or similar. Particularly when most sight instructions warn about over tightening.

Hand tighten it and done, I don't believe you can overtighten by hand, and I've never had that problem with Night sights, or regular letal sights. Also, I have never ever had a problem with loose sights and I shoot alot, and many different Glocks, which all have aftermarket sights that I have installed without loctite. If you want to use loctite, go ahead, I was just sharing my experiences.

JBP55
09-23-2010, 18:36
I have seen a few lost on the range with people that use their guns in and out of the holster quite a bit and I have tightened quite a few that were loose. I have used lock tite on all and have changed many that were installed with red and blue lock tite. A little heat is your friend but be careful if the sights are fiber optic. Blue lock tite works under normal operating conditions but some are rough on equipment and need to use red lock tite.

bentbiker
09-23-2010, 19:11
I inserted the front blade sight, added a couple drops of loctite
If you added two drops into the sight, you may have too much in there for the screw to go all the way in -- hydrostatic pressure builds and the stuff can't get past the screw threads. You should add a tiny, tiny drop to the threads of the screw only. When you get the sight off, try the screw in the sight with the new tool. Make sure it will go all the way in befor re-mounting and adding any thread locker.

I'm really surprised you have a socket that is thin-walled enough to fit over the head of the screw without hitting the front of the slide.

JD HHI 6092
09-23-2010, 19:29
I just received my Ed Brown front sight removal tool. It fits perfectly in my Magna tip screw driver so it makes changing out front sites very easy.

Right tool for the right job.

BamaTrooper
09-23-2010, 20:39
...on a different note OP, I usually put the screw in the hex head driver, insert the screw (with a small drop of loctite) through the front sight slot and THEN bring the sight to the screw. Start the screw with a slight counter clockwise twist to get it threaded correctly (cross threading sucks) and then start tightening. Before you snug it down, take time to make sure it is lined up correctly, then give it the last twist.

As for the original glock sight not having a screw, was it a staked on metal front or the original press in plastic sight?

Glock23shooter
09-24-2010, 10:14
i also had a problem when i did my front sight on my gun. i used medium locktight which is blue, too powerful the best thing you can do it get a needle thread and start cleaning out the threads inside the sight and the screw as best as you can. That's what i ended up doing and it start to work real good. BTW take your time doing it, it saves the hassel from buying a new screw!!!