affordable culinary school in manila? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : affordable culinary school in manila?

collegedude
09-24-2010, 12:41
Is there an affordable culinary school in manila? I'm inspired of becoming a chef someday. I came accross some culinary arts school in manila but its too expensive you got to have a million to take the whole course. I also heard of magsaysay shipping lines offering culinary arts much cheaper than the leading culinary school in manila. I think zord our fellow BOG can give some insight of how to become a chef.

bulm540
09-25-2010, 05:50
I;ll try to get some info from my brother. He went to CAIA in SAn Francisco. They are in singapore watching the F1 race.

i_am_infinity
09-25-2010, 09:45
collegedude u have PM

DragonEye
09-26-2010, 09:11
You can "test the water" first by enrolling in short courses if you haven't already. I took a Heny Sison class one time in Japanese cooking. Half day class with hands-on cooking by a Japanese chef. Never got to be a chef but the experience was worth it. =)

kristiansen
09-26-2010, 20:45
collegedude:

i'm not a chef but my 2 cents.there is no decent culinary school that is "cheap".all of them have fees on 6 digit petot.except for short courses.unfortunately,most hotels/restos will likely hire somebody with diploma in culinary/pastry than with certificate on short courses.different schools here cater to different markets.goodluck.

Allegra
09-27-2010, 02:46
cooking....cooking? magandang hobby yan a

Wp.22
09-27-2010, 04:04
Diba sabi nila that the best ang luto ng mga mother natin. Pwede tayo magtayo ng cooking school na sila ang magtuturo. Pwede natin tawagin "cooking ng ina mo culinary school" im sure may makakalaban yan na almost same name din hehehrhe

royal glockster
09-27-2010, 06:36
Is there an affordable culinary school in manila? I'm inspired of becoming a chef someday. I came accross some culinary arts school in manila but its too expensive you got to have a million to take the whole course. I also heard of magsaysay shipping lines offering culinary arts much cheaper than the leading culinary school in manila. I think zord our fellow BOG can give some insight of how to become a chef.

yes, my son graduated from MICAH (magsaysay institute of culinary arts and hospitality) way back in 2008. The cost for 4-months training was 100k then. These days i guess it's about 180k na. Fortunately, my son's already in luxury vessel of magsaysay for almost a year na.

i_am_infinity
09-27-2010, 12:21
cooking....cooking? magandang hobby yan a

Fafa A, pwede mo gawing hobby yan kasi mahal mga tuition and dapat luto ka lagi ng Wagyu. Kobe, Foie Gras, Caviar...ay teka ano ba pagkain ng maid nyo? :supergrin:

Wp.22
09-27-2010, 13:04
I dont know if this school is affordable two of my sisters went here pero hindi full course yung isa for baking lang tapos yung isa di ko maremember. Company sponsored eh http://www.iscahm.com/index.cfm

PMMA97
09-27-2010, 14:46
yes, my son graduated from MICAH (magsaysay institute of culinary arts and hospitality) way back in 2008. The cost for 4-months training was 100k then. These days i guess it's about 180k na. Fortunately, my son's already in luxury vessel of magsaysay for almost a year na.

What was your sons entry work position in the ship?

Allegra
09-27-2010, 17:30
Fafa A, pwede mo gawing hobby yan kasi mahal mga tuition and dapat luto ka lagi ng Wagyu. Kobe, Foie Gras, Caviar...ay teka ano ba pagkain ng maid nyo? :supergrin:

di ko alam kinakain nya e, tanong ko pagbalik nya from the driving range

dapat may taga tikim ako, lahat sakin masarap e

royal glockster
09-28-2010, 06:42
What was your sons entry work position in the ship?

commis trainee bro.

PMMA97
09-28-2010, 15:30
commis trainee bro.

Nice.

It used to be that one has to do pots and pans or kitchen utility just to start work in a cruise ships kitchen even if you have prior local or land based 5 star hotel experience. Work up the ladder so they say.

Kaya pala ang mahal ng culinary schools.

Thanks for the info bro.

Capt.Barbel
10-05-2010, 22:40

Bro, try the ICA-International Cuisine Academy, located in sucat pque. Its a very practical school and affordable coz its only 9 months course then you'll get your diploma. that includes your OJT in 5 star hotels like dusit, marriot etc.The courses are culinary, baking and garde manger(complete) unlike in other school you only pay for culinary course only and too expensive. Free uniforms and a set of knives. I graduated last year and now im a Demi Chef here in Skycity hotel Auckland, New Zealand. But bro to become a chef is not that easy. :cool:

here's the kitchen brigade(bottom to top)

Apprentice chef (most of them are students)
Commi or Commis Chef
Demi Chef
Chef de Partie
Sous Chef
Head Chef
Executive Chef

kidlat_tahimik
10-06-2010, 22:16
OT:
@ Capt. Barbel bro magkano na ang fee sa skywalk/ skyjump dyan sa tower?

collegedude
11-03-2010, 10:08
very interesting, thanks

Bro, try the ICA-International Cuisine Academy, located in sucat pque. Its a very practical school and affordable coz its only 9 months course then you'll get your diploma. that includes your OJT in 5 star hotels like dusit, marriot etc.The courses are culinary, baking and garde manger(complete) unlike in other school you only pay for culinary course only and too expensive. Free uniforms and a set of knives. I graduated last year and now im a Demi Chef here in Skycity hotel Auckland, New Zealand. But bro to become a chef is not that easy. :cool:

here's the kitchen brigade(bottom to top)

Apprentice chef (most of them are students)
Commi or Commis Chef
Demi Chef
Chef de Partie
Sous Chef
Head Chef
Executive Chef