pic rails for the 870 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : pic rails for the 870

linemanhigh
09-24-2010, 14:25
i was looking for pic rail for the front grip on my rem 870 does anyone know where i can find one. i want to put a t-grip of a ar15 on my 870 with a light on the side so i can take it off when i go out in my boat.

Hydra-SHOKz
09-24-2010, 19:38
Surefire

Victoriagotagun
09-25-2010, 08:06
Ergo, KZ, and Surefire all make good railed forearms.

readyme
09-25-2010, 17:52
Does anybody happen to have some of these to see them side by side?
I have seen individual pictures of each of these forends, but it is impossible to determine relative size of the forend without seeing other version side by side.
I am personally leaning towards getting a KZ, but that is simply due to price.

Big_Grumpy
09-26-2010, 01:52
On the fore grip it's difficult to have such a set up "inexpensively" unless you figure out a way to mount a separately purchased rail by screw and tap (not suggesting it). It might be better to tailor your needs to 2 different shotguns and set the other up with a pistol grip fore end.

Just adding...:whistling:

Edit: BTW... I hear pistol grip fore ends aren't the best on the guide rods of an 870. No personal experience though.

aippi
09-26-2010, 09:32
You mention a T grip. I am not sure what that is but if it is a vertical forend then think about this. A vertical forend damages your weapon. It allows you to over torque the action bars. they begin to bind in the reciever and the forend tube assembly has to be replaced. The forend tube assembly is a $35 part and you will need one about once a year if you put this forend on the weapon. I void the warranty on my custom weapons if a guy does this.

We all torgue the forend as we rack the weapon. you can look at the mag tube and tell from the wear which side a shooter torgues to. Add a vertical forend and this torque is magnified as the vertical forend acts as a lever. When I remove one of these I see one action bar twisted in and pointing down, the other twisted out and pointing up, or they are pointing in and up and out and down, all depends on the shooter. Point is they are damaged, binding in the receiver and causing damage to the timing cuts, shell latches and receiver channels.

A vertical forend is not a good devise for any pump shotgun.

jeremy stanke
09-26-2010, 19:36
You mention a T grip. I am not sure what that is but if it is a vertical forend then think about this. A vertical forend damages your weapon. It allows you to over torque the action bars. they begin to bind in the reciever and the forend tube assembly has to be replaced. The forend tube assembly is a $35 part and you will need one about once a year if you put this forend on the weapon. I void the warranty on my custom weapons if a guy does this.

We all torgue the forend as we rack the weapon. you can look at the mag tube and tell from the wear which side a shooter torgues to. Add a vertical forend and this torque is magnified as the vertical forend acts as a lever. When I remove one of these I see one action bar twisted in and pointing down, the other twisted out and pointing up, or they are pointing in and up and out and down, all depends on the shooter. Point is they are damaged, binding in the receiver and causing damage to the timing cuts, shell latches and receiver channels.

A vertical forend is not a good devise for any pump shotgun.

just curious, what about a AFG?

aippi
09-26-2010, 20:38
I don't know what an AFG is but if it extends below the forend and is used to bring the action to the rear then it acts as a level and increases the torque on the forend and that twist the action bars. If you look at any pump shotgun you will see wear on the magzine tube. If the wear is even then you are mostly racking the weapon straight back. Good trap and skeet shooters master this correct rearward action. If you see more wear on one side of the tube you are torqueing the forend and we all do to some extent. Think of a lever below the forend and how that would act to increase that torque. I have seen 870 less then a year old that had a vertical forend because even Remington put a Dealers Special out a few years ago with this mess on it and the forend tube assembly on that weapon was FUBAR and I advised the client to replace it and discontinue the use of a Vertical Forend. He did and had install a SF LE on the wepaon.

linemanhigh
10-07-2010, 23:35
I don't know what an AFG is but if it extends below the forend and is used to bring the action to the rear then it acts as a level and increases the torque on the forend and that twist the action bars. If you look at any pump shotgun you will see wear on the magzine tube. If the wear is even then you are mostly racking the weapon straight back. Good trap and skeet shooters master this correct rearward action. If you see more wear on one side of the tube you are torqueing the forend and we all do to some extent. Think of a lever below the forend and how that would act to increase that torque. I have seen 870 less then a year old that had a vertical forend because even Remington put a Dealers Special out a few years ago with this mess on it and the forend tube assembly on that weapon was FUBAR and I advised the client to replace it and discontinue the use of a Vertical Forend. He did and had install a SF LE on the wepaon.

is there any way to beef up the action bars?