Wireless router setup question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Wireless router setup question

gigab1te
09-24-2010, 15:13
I've got an old Linksys router. I have it set up to use WEP (it does not offer any other encryption options) with a 26 number keycode, and do not broadcast the network name, and configured it to not allow any MAC addresses other than my laptop's MAC address to connect.

Is there anything else I can do to improve the security of this router? Should I get a newer router, or just not worry about it? I'm not using the laptop to work with nuclear secrets or anything, just occassionally buying stuff off the web or checking my bank accounts.

Thanks,

gigab1te

Two_Clicks
09-24-2010, 15:24
With the MAC address filtering Id say its as good as it gets

boomhower
09-24-2010, 15:50
Personally I'd upgrade to something with WPA2 but that's just me. Routers are cheap these days. I just look at it as cheap insurance.

glock75
09-24-2010, 19:26
WEP security is easily hacked. WPA is not. Buy another router, they're cheap.

Enable WPA security and use a long pass phrase. Also change the default login credentials.

Enable MAC filtering.

Disable SSID broadcasting.

Follow these simple rules and you'll be good to go except for the most high end or determined hacker. Even the pentagon has problems with those.

Lotiki
09-24-2010, 19:39
MAC filtering is as good as it gets.

mountsj
09-24-2010, 20:16
Both WPA and WEP can be cracked in under 10 min with the right software, If someone is determined enough. Just search Youtube for "Cracking WEP with Backtrack 4" or "Cracking WPA with Backtrack 4". 64 bit WEP is fine for personal use to keep the neighbor kids off your network, especially if your have MAC filtering and your not broadcasting your SSID. If you are truly worried about it you could could by a new router that supports better security or look into the DD-WRT project. If your router is compatible which most Linksys routers are, its a great way to turn a $30 router into a $700 one.

bearone2
09-24-2010, 20:29
WEP security is easily hacked. WPA is not. Buy another router, they're cheap.

Enable WPA security and use a long pass phrase. Also change the default login credentials.

Enable MAC filtering.

Disable SSID broadcasting.

Follow these simple rules and you'll be good to go except for the most high end or determined hacker. Even the pentagon has problems with those.

i use a linksys 54g, wep/10 digit wired/wireless, come hack me.

IndyGunFreak
09-24-2010, 20:31
Both WPA and WEP can be cracked in under 10 min with the right software, If someone is determined enough. Just search Youtube for "Cracking WEP with Backtrack 4" or "Cracking WPA with Backtrack 4". 64 bit WEP is fine for personal use to keep the neighbor kids off your network, especially if your have MAC filtering and your not broadcasting your SSID. If you are truly worried about it you could could by a new router that supports better security or look into the DD-WRT project. If your router is compatible which most Linksys routers are, its a great way to turn a $30 router into a $700 one.

I agree on some points, but not on others. First, WEP is not effective keeping your neighbor kids off your network. If your neighbors kids are above 7-8th grade.. they're probably already on your WEP network.

I hear people talking about cracking WPA w/ Backtrack.. but it's gonna take a lot longer than 10min.

I'd buy a new router, use WPA2, and call it a day. If they crack WPA or WPA2, you probably aren't going to keep them off your network anyway, even w/ MAC filtering.

bearone2
09-24-2010, 20:39
I agree on some points, but not on others. First, WEP is not effective keeping your neighbor kids off your network. If your neighbors kids are above 7-8th grade.. they're probably already on your WEP network.

I hear people talking about cracking WPA w/ Backtrack.. but it's gonna take a lot longer than 10min.

I'd buy a new router, use WPA2, and call it a day. If they crack WPA or WPA2, you probably aren't going to keep them off your network anyway, even w/ MAC filtering.

other than blind luck, just how are these 7th & 8th graders, or anyone else going to get into my wep encryption?

it takes some pretty serious software/fbi/nsa and the white van out front. i'm not worried and have been doing online banking/bill paying for years.

dotsun
09-24-2010, 20:46
other than blind luck, just how are these 7th & 8th graders, or anyone else going to get into my wep encryption?

it takes some pretty serious software/fbi/nsa and the white van out front. i'm not worried and have been doing online banking/bill paying for years.

All it takes is a torrent download of the backtrack distro and a few hours of learning to break it. It's really not rocket science. And no, MAC filtering is not going to stop anyone that has the ability to crack WEP. Use WPA2.

IndyGunFreak
09-24-2010, 21:12

LOL.. No, it doesn't. It takes about 10min to download the software and about 30min googling to learn how to use it. Trust me, if you're using WEP, and you have neighbor kids that are at least 7-8th grade.. them and their friends are most likely already on your network.

FWIW, being able to log in and use your network, is a lot different than being able to bank/pay bills securely. Totally different issue there

IGF

mountsj
09-24-2010, 21:47
It doesn't take hours of learning or hours to do. Watch the vids, copy the commands, both cracked in 10 min.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG0Ff3Oser0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3iDWP2xeFw

dotsun
09-25-2010, 04:01
It doesn't take hours of learning or hours to do. Watch the vids, copy the commands, both cracked in 10 min.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG0Ff3Oser0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3iDWP2xeFw

I'm a slow learner, though. :rofl:

srhoades
09-25-2010, 08:33
Make sure your router has the latest firmware, upgrading the firmware may get you WPA or better WPA2.

berniew
09-26-2010, 21:22
Don't want to be "that" guy but

Not broadcasting your SSID is useless, if someone is looking for networks they will find it immediately.

WPA is not cracked. Shared-key WPA remains vulnerable to password cracking attacks if users rely on a weak passphrase. WPA or better WPA2 with a truly long and random PSK is still fine

http://www.grc.com/sn/sn-036.htm

IndyGunFreak
09-27-2010, 06:03
Don't want to be "that" guy but

Not broadcasting your SSID is useless, if someone is looking for networks they will find it immediately.

Exactly... It will keep those w/ no initiative from messing with it(ie, those who are looking for an open network). However if someone is trying to hop on a protected network, and has the tools to do it, they're not gonna care your ESSID is hidden.

IGF